• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

The local Aldi has also introduced a craft range now. 99p 330ml bottles.

Got a Red Rye IPA on the go at the moment and it's good for the price.

The IPA was sold out, but there was a Golden Ale and a Porter there too.

The local Aldi has also introduced a craft range now. 99p 330ml bottles.

Got a Red Rye IPA on the go at the moment and it's good for the price.

The IPA was sold out, but there was a Golden Ale and a Porter there too.
I tried them last week. The Red Rye was the best to be honest, coffee porter ok and the IPA pretty tasteless. Not bad for 89p though.

The Golden Ale is very average. Won't touch it again.

Happily drink the Red Rye though for that price. A tasty drop.

I had the coffee porter last night. Thought it was pretty terrible to be honest. No real coffee flavour, really thin body and a tasted like it was made with drinking chocolate.

Ah well. You can't expect too much for that price so to find one that is decent is good going.

No, plus it was a freebie from someone at work, so no great loss!
Just cracked open a Partizan Stout. 8.3% An absolutely perfect example of a big stout. Dry, mineral, bags of coffee and dark booze soaked fruit. Superb.

Oh and Caesar Augustus by Williams Brothers. A hoppy lager which might give you a bit more flavour than your standard macro lager for a shandy. 500ml, £2 in Sainsburys again.

I do like Caesar Augustus a very nice drink. £2 a bit steep though, Sainsburys beer prices are pretty crap ever since they got rid of their multibuy deals.

£2 for 500ml of a beer with that many hops isn't steep. It's brilliant value.

But yeah, on the whole, Sainsburys is pretty lacking compared to Tesco and Morrison's offerings.

If I was buying it from an off-license I'd expect to pay that kind of price (DFL charge £2.59 for Jaipur) but would expect a supermarket to be offering a better price or at least an deal if you were to buy more than one bottle.

I dunno man, constantly driving the prices down is only going to harm the small independent micro breweries and play right into the hands of the macros. I'm as much a sucker for the multibuys as anyone, so I don't want to come across as hypocritical, but £2 is a good and fair price, imo and I'm more than happy to pay it if I fancy chucking a bottle in my trolley.

I suppose there is that. I don't mind paying a premium price for a premium drink (I need a trip to the wine seller before Crimbo) and I suppose I'll be paying that in Belgium in a couple of weeks time.

Today:

Omnipollo Leon - 6.5% Belgian Pale Ale. Another very wheaty offering, grapefruit and mango melt into a bitter, slightly spicy black peppery dry finish. Fantastic beer.

Thornbridge Jaipur - 5.9% IPA. OKish, quite oily with citrus notes. Bitter finish that didn't really last, felt like a hopped up lager.

Siren V.I.P.A. - 8.5% Belgian IPA. A proper full malty body dominated by shitloads of raspberries. Verging on sour with a good, long bitter finish. Absolutely stunning.

Cloudwater DIPA v9 - 9% DIPA. The dog's bollocks. There are some cracking DIPAs out there but Cloudwater really do hold the crown. Fucking awesome.

Great Lakes Christmas Ale. Malty, caramely, spicey, cranberryeee and a bit bittery. I loved this one. The labels rather nice too.

No good at describing a beer like machin, Boo or Lycan. Thats the best I can do.

Black Wolf - Valente's Double Espresso Stout. Smells and tastes exactly like coffee revels.

Brewdog and Omnipollo have a raspberry smoothie IPA coming out on Monday...

Oooof, I'll be all over that.

It's called Fruit Bat:

CxoO38hWEAArub2.jpg

Anybody going to try Wild Beer's Of The Sea? Wouldn't mind hearing what it's like as there's no way I can bring myself to drink that.

Anybody going to try Wild Beer's Of The Sea? Wouldn't mind hearing what it's like as there's no way I can bring myself to drink that.

One of the Rainbow Project beers was made with seafood. Hawkshead & Yeastie Boys - Kia Moana Gose:

Story: A refreshingly tart, salty and fruity gose made with Kai Moana (Maori for seafood) NZ hops and green gooseberries. We drew the colour green again!!! And that inspired thoughts of the sea surrounding both island nations. We sourced the finest oysters from Loch Fyne, native green lipped mussels from New Zealand and Himalayan rock salt, lightly hopped with Nelson Sauvin and Motueka all brought together by a big late addition off green gooseberries. Sit back and enjoy the colour green.

It was pretty damn good. Not at all fishy. More an earthy saltiness, which worked pretty seamlessly with the other fruity flavours.

Back