• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Had a couple of Goses on holiday which is a salted sour beer. I'm fully on board with that style, it's as juicy and refreshing as any pale ale.
Need to revisit some of the sours I had before acquiring the taste.

Like cider then?

Sort of, but not quite. There was no sweetness to it at all, just extremely acidic with no other prominent characteristics. I can handle cider if I'm in the mood but that Somerset Wild was just like drinking beer sick.

Goses are immense. BrewDog have just done an Irn Bru inspired Sour Bru with North Brewing in leeds.

Absolutely awesome afternoon at Wild Beer. Top blokes.

The Millionaire was absolutely incredible. A whole new beast on keg compared to bottle.

Got to try Beeblush, a slightly varied version of Epic Saison which was only kegged on Thursday. Beautiful.

Very clear that their interest is in sour beers and they're extremely proud to be the first in the country to push the market in the UK.

I've not been particularly convinced by some of the sours I've had before, but the ones I tried today, paired up with some of the best cheese in the country were sensational.

Their head brewer also said that Brewdog are releasing a sour range next year.

I have also not been over impressed with the sour beers I have had. Though I have only had a couple.

Had a salted caramel porter from M&S last night, brewed by Meantime I think, couldn't really taste any caramel but a nice enough drink, would go for it again.

Herm Island Gold by Liberation Brewery at Jersey Airport. Good stuff.

Had a pint of Excelsior by Ossett in the Wellington last night. Fabulous.

I had a couple of glasses of Silver King a while back. It is also from Ossett. It is a very pale ale, and was really nice.

Silver King is magnificent. One of my favourites actually. I don't think I've ever had a bad pint of anything from Ossett.

Silver King is magnificent. One of my favourites actually. I don't think I've ever had a bad pint of anything from Ossett.

I had the Silver King at the Fox in York. We were visiting friends, and stayed overnight. There were other Ossett beers there, I wish I had tried them, but I was enjoying the Silver King so stuck with it. An excellent beer. The good thing is we will be going back up to York early next year, so I shall make a point of sampling their other beers.

Oh, I have. From that pub just across the road from the train station in Preston, can't remember the name of it now. It was supposed to be a red ale but had a really nasty medicinal taste to it.

Ossett do some really good stuff. It was their open day this Saturday gone. Unfortunately I was elsewhere. Currently in Guernsey so I shall give White Rock a visit.

Oh, I have. From that pub just across the road from the train station in Preston, can't remember the name of it now. It was supposed to be a red ale but had a really nasty medicinal taste to it.
Probably more to do with the pub than the brewery.

The Old Peacock on Elland Road is an Ossett Brewery pub. Unfortunately it is directly opposite the South Stand! The Black Bull in Rothwell is nicer and has some good guests on as well, especially Rat Brewery from Huddersfield.

I could be wrong, but though most Ossett pubs are in the Leeds area, I am sure I saw one when in Sheffield a few months back. Unfortunately I did not have time to go in and taste the ale.

Probably more to do with the pub than the brewery.

I complained about it and they took it off altogether after trying it through another line. The manager swore he'd conditioned it properly, just a bad batch.

I complained about it and they took it off altogether after trying it through another line. The manager swore he'd conditioned it properly, just a bad batch.

This does happen occasionally to even the best of breweries. Usually though a suspect batch is spotted before it leaves the brewery.

Back