• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

I think there's definitely merit to having a think at least about what order to pick your beers. There's more breweries than ever before, brewing their own take on ever increasing styles. We've never had more choice, and consideration has to be made when faced with an IPA, Bitter, Coffee Stout, Red Ale and a Sour as to what to chose next...

If you're choosing between 4 different golden ales, then yeah, chuck a dart at it :icon_wink:

Having said that, you'd still probably have a method of choosing - preferred brewery, abv, price (!?!)...

Surely that takes the fun out of it? Half of the process of drinking beer should be how it tastes to you not what it says on the tasting notes or how it may go with the next beer or food you've ordered served on a spade at the resident hipster wankoff '16.

I like a beer but that blog is barmy. I like beer. I like to try different types of beer. Fuck off telling me when I should and shouldn't be drinking those beers. (not you personally Machin, just the whole 'beer movement').

If it's the Pale 31, then yeah it's absolutely beautiful

pale-31.jpg

You were correct. It was excellent. My friend in Lincolnshire has said he will get me a few others to try. He mentioned Fullers Wild Rover, another I don't think I have tasted.

Surely that takes the fun out of it? Half of the process of drinking beer should be how it tastes to you not what it says on the tasting notes or how it may go with the next beer or food you've ordered served on a spade at the resident hipster wankoff '16.

I like a beer but that blog is barmy. I like beer. I like to try different types of beer. Fuck off telling me when I should and shouldn't be drinking those beers. (not you personally Machin, just the whole 'beer movement').
Agreed. However IME I wouldn't suggest going straight into a 10+% ABV TIPA and then a 3.8% Saison if I wanted to fully appreciate them. Quite the reverse.

Indeed, I always have a running list of what's in the fridge that night. Lighter beers first, heavier beers later.

Machin and Boozad clearly have a lot of knowledge regarding beer, as does Langers. The rest of us are just amateurs. I think any advice they give would be worth listening to.

I have acquired a bottle of Badger Fursty Ferret. What is it like?
Very very ordinary IMO. Nowt special or original about it at all.

Badger are a bit of a 'beige' brewery for me. Nothing wrong with them per se, just nothing that stands out either.

Badger are a bit of a 'beige' brewery for me. Nothing wrong with them per se, just nothing that stands out either.

Ok thanks. I will try it on Saturday, and let you know what I think.

Machin and Boozad clearly have a lot of knowledge regarding beer, as does Langers. The rest of us are just amateurs. I think any advice they give would be worth listening to.

Beer is about flavour for me and what some people like I don't and vice versa. I appreciate all informed opinions from all posters and then I taste the beer and make my own mind up. I don't appreciate people telling me what to listen to or when to drink beer.

That's kind of how beer drinking works.

As an amateur I asked one of the NM brewers about Brewdog's cask. His laugh summed it up for me.

Yes Frank - Badger beers are pretty stock round here as many of the pubs are owned by the brewery (Hall & Woodhouse) - its an OK ale, but not that special (though wouldn't turn it down if someone else was buying)

Currently drinking 'Bob' (has to be ordered in an Edmund Blackadder voice) from Wickwar Wessex Brewers - decent with a slightly smoky smell/taste

A bit like Ruddles in so much as they were anti-establishment. You got a hand-pulled or quirky named beef that was very different to the indentikit shite that the brewery cartel was offering up at the time. They had their place, but are now so far behind what is on offer tgese days.

The patent Brewdog refer to is possibly this one

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/pub...T=D&ND=3&date=20160413&DB=EPODOC&locale=en_EP

If I'm reading it correctly they are using a pressurised fermentation vessel, which would allow them to transfer to the keg without further pressurisation i.e. adding CO2 or nitrogen. Then again a good patent allows "someone skilled in the art" to reproduce it, but tries its best not to.

A bit like Ruddles in so much as they were anti-establishment. You got a hand-pulled or quirky named beef that was very different to the indentikit shite that the brewery cartel was offering up at the time. They had their place, but are now so far behind what is on offer tgese days.

I accept that Ruddles is not the best of ales, but it is not the worst. Personally I do quite enjoy it, but maybe you are right and beer has moved on. Sadly I am a little set in my ways and tend to stick to what I like. But I am trying quite a few different beers now.

The patent Brewdog refer to is possibly this one

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/pub...T=D&ND=3&date=20160413&DB=EPODOC&locale=en_EP

If I'm reading it correctly they are using a pressurised fermentation vessel, which would allow them to transfer to the keg without further pressurisation i.e. adding CO2 or nitrogen. Then again a good patent allows "someone skilled in the art" to reproduce it, but tries its best not to.
They are also controlling any secondary fermentation (with subsequent CO2 production) that would be associated with traditional cask conditioning. Hence they can keep it in a bag without any need to vent. All in all a marketing coup.

Jesus Johnny, not sure what point you thought I was trying to make, but your response doesn't seem to follow what I said?

I think the beer you've just had can hugely affect the taste of the beer that proceeds it. That's just based on contrasting/overpowering styles (not specific beers). I'm not trying to preach about tasting notes etc.

As an aside, seeing as you brought it up, but food and beer pairing is as legitimate and nuanced as food and wine. Not that I'm any good at it or seek to do it in a pub. Just saying like, it's not hipster bullshit.

It was more the blog that irritated me not you. I did try and stress that but clearly failed :(

It's more the 'beer movement' that are hijacking beer by talking bollocks. I like beer and appreciate opinions but beer is all about personal taste. It's all becoming a bit snobbish and boorish like wine tasting buffoons scoffing at you for daring to drink something at a different time of day or with different food to what it is supposed to be drunk with.

I do appreciate going from light to dark and from low to high ABV is good advice. sometimes it's the sheer enjoyment of trying stuff that is the fun of it for me.

As Langers said its all a bit overkill.

It's a good blog, IMO. That particular post was a bit daftbamd tongue in cheek but thought it was raise an interesting discussion.

When faced with a vast beer list, how do you go about choosing a beer or two...?

A predictable blog that borders on unashamed self-indulgence (or is that how some bloggers perceive them anyhow?).

Back