• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

He's given me the info they were issued with, it basically says 'Isn't this just keycask? Nope- that's just a packaging format, Live beer is about the whole process, and the huge leap in consistency and quality - it's about much more than the container'.

However the hell they've done it, I'm sold. Dead pony but with so much more flavour and body + just as perfectly on form as you'd want your real ale. It's a little colder which is weird at first but apart from that I love it.

A different flavour quality will most likely be attributed to the CO2 produced during the conditioning.

They've got the trademark and on the memo I just read one of the points was 'Did Brewdig invent it? - Hell yeah we did!', so they must be doing something different.

That sounds ace Lycan. I drink the DPC out of the fridge anyway as I think it's a little better cold.

Everyone who's tried it has said what an improvement over the keg it is. I don't think flavour is what has caused the controversy, it's the claim they've reinvented the wheel. Which they may well have, but you know Twitter!

A different flavour quality will most likely be attributed to the CO2 produced during the conditioning.

Gives beer a different body, intend to find. Carbonation, but not fizzy.

Carbon dioxide is acidic. It's production during the brewing process influences the taste. Bang some nitro in there and it changes the taste quality.

From the website

Live Beer is very different from how other brewers condition in KeyKeg. Conventionally conditioning in KeyKeg is akin to bottle-conditioning. Yeast is added before packaging and the final beer serves, pours and drinks very much like a standard keg beer and is similar in terms of carbonation (around 2.5 volumes C02 usually).

With LIVE beer the final beer drinks much more like an evolved cask beer than a keg beer, carbonation is around 1.3 volumes and no additional yeast is added during the conditioning phase. Standard KeyKeg conditioning (which others brewers use) gives a result akin to standard keg beer. LIVE beer, using our patented method, gives a result akin to an evolution of cask beer.

Whichever way it is made, if it's as good as Lycan says then I can't wait to get some later on this week!

Daft little blog post about how to chose what to drink from a beer list - http://boakandbailey.com/2016/07/how-we-choose-what-to-drink/

For me, it depends how many I'm having. If it's more than 5, then I'll start with something pale but not too hoppy, probably cask. Once I go for a big IPA then I can't really 'climb down the hop ladder' so there would have to be a sour to cleanse the palate. I'll usually save a big stout for the end of the session. Also, once I've started on keg, I can't really go back to cask (depending on beer style).

What a bizarre blog. This is getting ridiculous. It's a fucking beer list, not an astrophysics exam.

Don't start with anything too heavy and just see what you feel like - no need to over-complicate everything.

Never been one for constantly switching between drinks on a night out, doesn't appeal at all.

Never been one for constantly switching between drinks on a night out, doesn't appeal at all.

I really enjoy a night tasting different ales and I do like a good beer festival, but I've got my limits. Having a scientific method to which beer to go for next kind of takes the fun out of it. I'm down the pub, not back in a chemistry lab at school.

I remember my days of getting pissed and having a Lager/WKD/Rum + Coke all on the go at once. Utterly stupid!! I was sick unsurprisingly...

I like a nice progression on a proper night out. Can't drink the sane thing all night, especially not beer. Always like to finish on a wee dram if I'm not too pissed.

I really enjoy a night tasting different ales and I do like a good beer festival, but I've got my limits. Having a scientific method to which beer to go for next kind of takes the fun out of it. I'm down the pub, not back in a chemistry lab at school.
I agree. I definitely like to try different ales. However I also like the comfort of sticking to the same stuff too. As an aside I also enjoy my beers based on my interaction with them and not necessarily the 'process' that they have gone through.

What a bizarre blog. This is getting ridiculous. It's a fucking beer list, not an astrophysics exam.

Don't start with anything too heavy and just see what you feel like - no need to over-complicate everything.

I think there's definitely merit to having a think at least about what order to pick your beers. There's more breweries than ever before, brewing their own take on ever increasing styles. We've never had more choice, and consideration has to be made when faced with an IPA, Bitter, Coffee Stout, Red Ale and a Sour as to what to chose next...

If you're choosing between 4 different golden ales, then yeah, chuck a dart at it :icon_wink:

Having said that, you'd still probably have a method of choosing - preferred brewery, abv, price (!?!)...

I think there's definitely merit to having a think at least about what order to pick your beers. There's more breweries than ever before, brewing their own take on ever increasing styles. We've never had more choice, and consideration has to be made when faced with an IPA, Bitter, Coffee Stout, Red Ale and a Sour as to what to chose next...

If you're choosing between 4 different golden ales, then yeah, chuck a dart at it :icon_wink:

Having said that, you'd still probably have a method of choosing - preferred brewery, abv, price (!?!)...

Ever heard of overkill? Clue - it's not a sour craft ale.

Back