• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Exactly, but CAMRA, and many traditional ale drinkers, can't really accept this scenario of mutual respect and co-existence on the taps behind the bar.

A lot of crafties are equally anti-CAMRA and anti Tradition Real Ale, which certainly doesn't help. But in places like London there is enough market demand for craft beer pubs to thrive without having to offer anything else. In the rest of the UK I'd love for a couple of craft keg lines to be the accepted norm and common-place in pubs of all shapes and sizes.

I have always agreed with you that CAMRA simply has to change it's priorities. It needs to focus more on pubs than beer these days, and when they DO focus on beer, it needs to take craft beer into consideration as well. It's definitely done it's bit over the years but times change. My brother is involved with CAMRA down in Sussex and is massively frustrated with the attitudes they have towards 'younger' drinkers (anyone under 40). They also tend to be ultra harsh on certain pubs and don't judge them for what they should be. My local is a superb Holdens pub but hasn't been in TGBG for years because the landlord is a bit of an arse. But the beer and the pub in general is excellent - that's what they should be focussing on.

Which is why getting craft as a mainstay in trad pubs can only be a good thing!

I think we're in violent agreement here. I like that now I can buy a couple of cans of Dead Pony (more than a pint!) for £5 in my local Sizzling pub. Yes it's pricey but they also have plenty of beers on tap, usually local and if you want a Belgium trippel they do one of those too (bottled).

A new bottle shop and tap bar has opened over the weekend in the Custard Factory. Called Clink Beer. Looks pretty awesome tbh, might stop by on my way to the Birmingham Beer Bash on Friday.

https://www.instagram.com/clinkbeer/

I thought for a while now that Brum city centre needed a really good bottle shop.

Opening weekend tap list, to drink on site or take away in Growlers:

Cne_t46XEAAHvzc.jpg

Pice in the Brum Mail -http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/chocolate-ice-cream-beer-anyone-11614050

Tried to get BrewDog in there last year but couldn't get the directors to sign off!

You were obviously too far ahead of the curve Stan...

Going to a tasting session of Fallen Brewing's beers in Kippen later on today. Can't wait for it, one of the best up and coming breweries in Scotland and a really picturesque brewery in an abandoned railway station out in the countryside.

I have always agreed with you that CAMRA simply has to change it's priorities. It needs to focus more on pubs than beer these days, and when they DO focus on beer, it needs to take craft beer into consideration as well. It's definitely done it's bit over the years but times change. My brother is involved with CAMRA down in Sussex and is massively frustrated with the attitudes they have towards 'younger' drinkers (anyone under 40). They also tend to be ultra harsh on certain pubs and don't judge them for what they should be. My local is a superb Holdens pub but hasn't been in TGBG for years because the landlord is a bit of an arse. But the beer and the pub in general is excellent - that's what they should be focussing on.
They (CAMRA) are also good at 'bribing' landlords into getting inclusions in TGBG by asking for discounts for their membership. I reckon I probably spend a reasonable amount in pubs (possibly more than some of CAMRA's membership), yet I wouldn't ask for any special consideration based on my patronage.

So they think that by coming into a pub for a couple of pints once a month warrants a discount for them to promote the pub. Twats.

They (CAMRA) are also good at 'bribing' landlords into getting inclusions in TGBG by asking for discounts for their membership. I reckon I probably spend a reasonable amount in pubs (possibly more than some of CAMRA's membership), yet I wouldn't ask for any special consideration based on my patronage.

So they think that by coming into a pub for a couple of pints once a month warrants a discount for them to promote the pub. Twats.

Yeah I've heard of those 'bribes' before.

Currently having a pint of Tribute. I know it falls way below the expectation levels on here, but I like it.

Tribute is a good beer. You'd struggle to go wrong with it.

Yep, Tribue is a good beer, as is every St. Austell beer I've tried.

:D Doom Bar has ruined it for the rest of the county's breweries...

I can't agree with you I'm afraid - I'd be more than willing to try any of these expensive beers, but of the craft beers I have tried - some of which have been absolutely tremendous by the way - my favourite drinks are the likes of Bathams, Dark Star, Hobsons, Kelham Island. All the absolute top of the range as far as I'm concerned.

I have a budget for when I go for a few beers - if I'm going to a place with a few guest ales, I will want to try them. I don't want to use my budget on less than 2 pints of beer for the whole evening, I have to watch my disposable income so naturally, seeing 1/2 a pint for £5 just isn't really an option, unless I want to cradle half a pint of beer for several hours.
Bit on the fence with this one. I'm more than happy to visit craft beer pubs, but tend not to pay through the nose for the most expensive beers. I do tend to buy a lot of craft beer cans though, which I feel tend to be more reasonable.

But like Langers says, I feel more at home in the likes of an old school boozer drinking ales costing me no more the £3.50 a pint. My favourite pub crawl for a long time was a recent trek through Gornal which Langers assisted providing information for.

Slummed it this teatime with a few pints of leeds Pale. Only £2.70/pint. Must be shite.

Currently on 'Pirates Gold' from Wooden Hand Brewery (another Cornish one that is not Doom Bar) - not had it before & no idea how they rate as a brewery, but a good light ale with decent taste & a citrus tang.

Slightly chilled & fairly low ABV - would make a decent session ale on a hot summers evening (as this is)

Fallen - Local Motive. Absolutely stunning session IPA. Can't believe I've never had this beer before, brewed just down the road from me and it stands up to anything I've ever had in this style.

Only £3.30 a pint as well which matters apparently.

Back