• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Went to the Anchor at High Offley for a pint by the canal this afternoon, beautiful spot:

60b6cb2c1ede63371975a12c1fdcbfb7.jpg

Had Wadworth Horizon on draft, it was almost heaven, only ruined by the beer tasting like warm piss :(
One of my (very) old haunts. The Joules's used to be superb there.

One of my (very) old haunts. The Joules's used to be superb there.
It's a a lovely pub and has had the same old woman running ever since I've been going - probably nearly 15 years now.

It's just a shame the beer is universally awful. They did have some bottles this time, should have gone for one of them.

Dull Teve from De Dolle. A massive Belgian Tripel. 10% and even at a deep sea diver for a half it is hellishly good.

Also had a Wild Seed from Bad Seed. A decent 5.1% Witbier. Dag and Dauw from De Molen. An excellent American IPA at 7.7% and a Westmalle Trappist Dubbel. 7% of gorgeousness.

A fiver, Frank. £5.

Typed out twice to accentuate my dissaproval at spending that much on a HALF. Madness.

I don't think I'd be drinking a pint of 10% ale. I'd be on the floor after 2.

I bet you would. Sobbing.

I wouldn't be drinking a half at five fucking quid.

More fool you.

De Dolle are one of the most exciting breweries in the world. I'm pretty jealous that Phil had the opportunity to try one of their beers.

Dunno if it's worth having a separate pub thread these days but I do love people watching.

One of the best things about living in the Black Country are some of the amazing randoms you see/hear in pubs.

There's a couple sat by me who are totally munted - apparently they've been here since it opened at 11 - and they're arguing. But they can't remember what the other said the sentence before so it's utterly comical.

They're both to blame IMO.

How much more? I am doubtful they cost three times as much to make as other beers.

Easily. Ask any craft brewer, they hardly make any profit.

Brewdog dry-hop one of there beers with 60x more hops than go into a standard bitter.

In fact, I bet the mark-up on a pint of Greene King is far greater than anything else mentioned on this thread.

Easily. Ask any craft brewer, they hardly make any profit.

Brewdog dry-hop one of there beers with 60x more hops than go into a standard bitter.

In fact, I bet the mark-up on a pint of Greene King is far greater than anything else mentioned on this thread.

Especially when we're talking about Belgian beer and De Dolle in particular. They brew some of the most innovative and exciting beer in Europe and haven't updated their brewing kit since the 80's. Westvleteren (brewers of the rarest beers in the world) recently exported their beer for the first time in their history, for one year only, so that they could make a profit and pay for a new roof on their monastery.

Greene King are on the FTSE 250 and serve up warm, tasteless piss like Ruddles, Old Speckled Hen & Abbot.

De Dolle are one of the most exciting breweries in the world. I'm pretty jealous that Phil had the opportunity to try one of their beers.

Indeed. It's not everyday that you get to try these (on tap especially) and I could've gone into leeds centre and spunked £4 on a pint of Carling instead. Who is the mug?

Last edited:
Back