• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Nope, from a bottle. Couldn't taste anything remotely hoppy.

Been sampling some of North Wales' craft beer scene today. Namely a bar in Conwy called Bank of Conwy. Meh. A bit uninspiring, unfortunately. Had a Charles Wells collaboration with Dogfish call DNA - a new world IPA but was really bland with hardly any hop flavour. Next a Vedett Extra Ordinary IPA which was actually quite an ordinary Belgian style IPA. Not too bad though.
After that up to The Albion which is an old Ansells pub that has been taken over by 4 local breweries. Loads of cask ales and just as many craft lagers and porters on keg. Had a Cottage, Texas Brown from Somerset - a lovely nutty, sweet hoppy American style brown ale with a hint of chocolate. After that was a Tan Halen by a community Welsh brewery whose name escapes me - a salted treacle oatmeal stout. Tasted just like the description but subtle and beautifully balanced. Both on cask and absolutely first class.
Picked up a few bottles for this evening from a nifty little bottle shop too.

machin, I'm surprised that you hadn't been served up with insipid crap at a pub named the ******.

Ha, quite the opposite really.

Now to turn myself into TWF beer thread public enemy number one, I tried Millionaire for the first time last night and couldn't stand it. I'm not saying it's a bad beer because it certainly isn't, it just really wasn't to my taste at all. Much too sweet and sickly for my palate but at least I gave it a go.

Five Points Hook Island Red - 6% Red Ale. Enjoyed this one although it's not as juicy as some red ales, very generous with the rye make it slightly cloying and heavy with loads of pine to the forefront. The dryness and spice undertone make this a very in-your-face red ale, would definitely drink it again.

Wiper & True In The Pines - 5.3% Amber ale. There's definitely a lot going on in this one, very piney as the name suggests with hints of citrus, caramel and malt. Not too bitter on the finish and very, very drinkable. Top stuff.

It's superb stuff, Booz. Get your hands on their Amarillo - simply beautiful.

They've just released their first wheat beer too...

I'll have a look for those mate, got a Quintet for later which I'm looking forward to as well. Pretty impressed with W&P from the word go, up there with Weird Beard and Cloudwater already for me. You can just taste the class.

I'm not saying it's a bad beer because it certainly isn't, it just really wasn't to my taste at all. Much too sweet and sickly for my palate but at least I gave it a go.

If it's not your taste, then it's not your taste. I turned my nose up at Magic Rock - Highwire Grapefruit but that seems to be universally loved on here.

BTW, M&S has just revamped their craft range for Summer. They're now stocking Pilsner Urquell, Kona - Longboard Lager, Kona - Big Wave Golden Ale, a Simcoe Pale Ale by Butcombe, a 31 Hop ale by Butcombe (sounds awful), a canned session IPA by Adnams (gorgeous), a canned APA by Harbour and an IPA & APA by Arbor Ales.

I'll have a look for those mate, got a Quintet for later which I'm looking forward to as well. Pretty impressed with W&P from the word go, up there with Weird Beard and Cloudwater already for me. You can just taste the class.

Quintet is spectacular.

If it's not your taste, then it's not your taste. I turned my nose up at Magic Rock - Highwire Grapefruit but that seems to be universally loved on here.

HighWire was my first beer last night and I loved it to be fair, different strokes and all that shit as you say.

I'll have to check out M&S, the Simcoe PA by Butcombe sounds worth a shot. I had a couple of their ales while I was in Brizzle and while they weren't anything to write home about they were decent enough.

Your Millionaire is my Hopfenweisse Boozad :D

Don't know whether to save it until after my Pot Kettle Black now, a porter beforehand could kill it off.

It's on the light/tropical/mango/pineapple side of IPA. I'd have the porter after.

It's on the light/tropical/mango/pineapple side of IPA. I'd have the porter after.

Yeah I was leaning that way. Just on a Wild Beer Co Evolver IPA, much more sour and light than I remembered it. Pretty refreshing to be honest.

You can't really go wrong with Butcombe. Nothing sensational but consistently good beer. Their Gold is one of the best bottles you can pick up in the supermarkets.

Back