• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

How come we don't get those twist top bottles for beer like they have in the US? We have to use bottle openers yet you see them just twisting theirs off.

We have twist top bottles on our 'pop' as well :)
American beer = heartburn !

If I'm going to buy lager, I'd go for Budvar or something similar - the off license near me has a decent selection. I do quite enjoy Budvar.

Budvar over here is better than the majority of lagers......however the Budvar in Prague is on another planet, along with the 2 main Czech drinks. Lager with a good taste is a rare thing but the Bud over there is awesome.

Budvar over here is better than the majority of lagers......however the Budvar in Prague is on another planet, along with the 2 main Czech drinks. Lager with a good taste is a rare thing but the Bud over there is awesome.

I really want to go to Prague. If I ever do, that is one thing I shall be trying.

My favourite City is Prague. Would go there a lot more if I could afford it. Was expecting the drinks to be a lot more expensive when I went there last year but was still paying £1 - £1.50 for a Bud

(just don't trust the Sat Nav's when trying to find the Dukla Prague Stadium)

Staropramen. Class.

I like German lager but never drink lager here.

It's strange i never drink lager in this Country yet on every occasion i have been to Australia i have really enjoyed their lager, not the crap that is served up over here mind, Tooheys and Carlton are what i usually go for.

Tooheys Extra Dry = brilliant.

Monday and Wednesday nights in Walkabout for £1 a bottle! (As a student in Nottingham)

Staropramen. Class.

I'm sure it tastes better though as the bar staff are on the ball. They spot your glass is below the half way point and bang, a fresh one is done without asking. Great for their tills, great for drinking without interruption not so good for your health. The Western tried this service once, I remember saying right 1 more and I am off at 8.30.......I left the pub after half the bar staff

I'm sure it tastes better though as the bar staff are on the ball. They spot your glass is below the half way point and bang, a fresh one is done without asking. Great for their tills, great for drinking without interruption not so good for your health. The Western tried this service once, I remember saying right 1 more and I am off at 8.30.......I left the pub after half the bar staff

And in the doghouse with Mrs Kenny.....

You should always buy bottles over cans IMO. It always seems to me that they put more gas in cans than in bottles. Also bottles stay cold for longer once out of the fridge because aluminium is a better heat conductor than glass. Glass is also supposedly more favourable for recycling purposes and the enviroment.

I prefer the taste out of bottles personally as the aluminium does seem to give cans a slightly odder taste.

Agree 100% with that, bottles over cans every time.

How come we don't get those twist top bottles for beer like they have in the US? We have to use bottle openers yet you see them just twisting theirs off.

Miller generally comes in twist top bottles over here.

And in the doghouse with Mrs Kenny.....

Not at all......

Only time I have managed to annoy her with my drinking was when I popped back to the Western for 1 pint after a game and I got home at midnight. I hardly drink these days so chances of this happening again are (unlike me) slim

VB or Toohey's New for me. They're the lesser of several evils.

Budvar dark is also lovely - I shall be trying both varieties at the end of next month.

Not at all......

Only time I have managed to annoy her with my drinking was when I popped back to the Western for 1 pint after a game and I got home at midnight. I hardly drink these days so chances of this happening again are (unlike me) slim

Sheff Wed?

I blame Leon Clarke.

Had me some Enville the other night after wandering down the hill to a different boozer. Top drawer beer.

Sheff Wed?

I blame Leon Clarke.

Aye.

The day the man from Tring joined us for the one pint, went back to Tring, stopped at his local for a few and still walked into his house before we left the Western

Staropramen. Class.

I like German lager but never drink lager here.

With my tin hat on given my lack of German knowledge, I always thought that the noun lager was a British invention of the 1960s (only suited to maiden aunts), lager being the verb to store. Light colour German low temperature bottom fermented beers (that is it takes ~3 months and therefore stored) were called Pilsner after the Pilsen, Czech Republic model (been there!). Alt is generally a darker version. I'm sure that German beer is far more diverse than my brief general summary.

Last edited:
Had me some Enville the other night after wandering down the hill to a different boozer. Top drawer beer.

Very nice beer, but always smells a bit...... eggy??

Back