• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Just updated the wrong thread!

So if anyone's coming over for the beer and whilst you're doing that, squeezing in the Wolves game, just a note to try the Porterhouse on the sea front in Bray. Cross the railway line towards the sea front, turn right along the front and you'll come to it around 200 yards along on the right. There's a much bigger and better one at the far end of Temple Bar in Dublin if you're around there.
They brew their own beers in the basement - interestingly, right next to the gents urinals. But I've been assured they use a seperate water supply for their beers.
You can get a Sampler Tray - around 8 tumbler size glasses of everything they brew. 3 or 4 Lagers, I think 3 stouts, and around 4 ales. They all come on their own coaster and you can read about them in the brochures on the tables. Costs about €8 for all of them.
Hugely popular, then you can of course spend a very happy number of days in there drinking your favourite one.
They do decent food too so really you can stay in there for days!

On average pints (scoops! 'I'll see you down the pub for a few scoops') cost around €4.50/€5 each, so you'll need a reasonable amount of folding money when going out drinking.
Look out for 'Happy Hours', when you often get shots and fancy alcohol for cheap prices.
See The Drummer for more details on that one!

I'll see if they have a site and if I can I'll post the link here.... http://www.porterhousebrewco.com/

Finally, if this is your first trip over the drinks scene is a bit of a disappointment for real ale lovers.
Apart from places like The Porterhouse, Guinness (or Diageo) have the drinks industry by the short and curlies.

90% of pubs serve their products only!
so you'll get:
Guinness
Loads of lagers - Heineken, Millers, that rice drink Bud, other ones too but I don't drink 'em so I don't know,
Smithwicks Beer, A kind of chemical derivative of ale, not too bad cold - nutty taste.
Kilkenny Ale (creamflow beer, a bit like Robinson's or Tetley smooth or whatever they call that stuff that's all sudsy and not very tasty?

And that's about it I'm afraid! Hundreds of really nice pubs many of them beautifully decorated but the product is all Guinness products.

Occasionally , you'll get Beamish Stout, (guaranteed to be 5c cheaper than Guinness, it's very similar but a bit lighter, more of these - less of a headache in the morning, and you'll get bottles of intersting stuff from the fridge, Polish lagers etc, but you'll have to search long and hard to find decent ales - except for the Porterhouse in Bray!

Was in Bray last night for about the first time in 10years, followed your advice went to the Porterhouse (turns out I had been in there before when I tried to take on the Duval many years ago), fuck they do serve some nice beers in there, I think some of the ale drinkers should just go there and forget about the football.
Was good advice, but I hold you fully responsible for the condition I got myself into by the end of the night.

Was in Bray last night for about the first time in 10years, followed your advice went to the Porterhouse ....Was good advice, but I hold you fully responsible for the condition I got myself into by the end of the night.

Donegal!
I'm delighted you took my advice and my next bit, will be be to suggest that you take a couple or 3 decent painkillers, then engage in a little light work, followed by a little light relief, then look forward to the tennis. Followed by a decent bit of food, accompanied by a little hair of the dog...

Talking of which, I ordered the Shopping on line from Tesco last night, and I noticed they are now widening their range of ales! and I ordered 6 bottles of Porterhouse Red Ale... It arrives between 3-5 this afternoon..

So if you can get that in your Tesco then could I further suggest that you try that particular hair of the dog?

Donegal!
I'm delighted you took my advice and my next bit, will be be to suggest that you take a couple or 3 decent painkillers, then engage in a little light work, followed by a little light relief, then look forward to the tennis. Followed by a decent bit of food, accompanied by a little hair of the dog...

Talking of which, I ordered the Shopping on line from Tesco last night, and I noticed they are now widening their range of ales! and I ordered 6 bottles of Porterhouse Red Ale... It arrives between 3-5 this afternoon..

So if you can get that in your Tesco then could I further suggest that you try that particular hair of the dog?

Actually not too bad today, tired but no sore head, think which shows quality of the beer served!

Are you back in Donegal or over here on this side?
Where do you live DW?

There is a great Porterhouse in Covent Garden should anyone find themselves in London

Are you back in Donegal or over here on this side?
Where do you live DW?

I live in Donegal, but travel around during the week a fair bit, working in Inchcore today then have a nice 4 hour plus drive home this afternoon/evening.

You're not in Irish Rail by any chance...?

That was a bad guess, sure dont you know their isnt a single mile of rail track in Donegal. If you want to catch a train have to go to Sligo or Derry.

No I am much more boring quantity surveyor

That was a bad guess, sure dont you know their isnt a single mile of rail track in Donegal. If you want to catch a train have to go to Sligo or Derry.

Sure, I knew that. But what I didn't know was...

No I am much more boring quantity surveyor

Which is interesting.... Just had a really good chat with one in Drogheda yesterday and last week.

You guys sure do know really interesting stuff and have shedloads of stories to tell too.

Cheers, forum!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341699438.563737.jpg

(Holdens Golden Glow - in a handle glass)

I remember someone posting about those lovely coated peanuts you get in pubs, maybe it was in another thread but I'll post it here, I've found an impressive equivalent that can be bought in supermarkets - Walkers Sensations Coated Nuts, check em out if you see them in a store near you. Im currently eating Chinese Szechuan flavour and they're lovely.

I'm currently quaffing a few quarts of Loddon Hoppit at The Greyhound in Maidenhead.

5c28fd8f-c580-8f19.jpg

Landlord is going down well. Lovely pint although £3.05 a pint is steep!

I'm suprised you don't support Michael Rutter in the British Superbikes, Langers. He was born in Wordsley too and lives in Stourbridge.

img.ashx

Just been given a brand new pint glass from the gaffer down my local. Awesome design!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342307891.455507.jpg

Had a pint of Doombar at the local today, absolutely fecking shite. They can't keep beer for shit.

Yesterday I enjoyed a couple of Fullers Summer Ale, Spitfire, Doom Bar and Oxford Gold.

Back