• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Almost right..... Guinness in the UK is almost spot on these days and I'll happily drink it, but the Guinness over here is superior as Diageo employs Quality Control teams to go around the country in vans checking on the quality, temperature, storage, gas pressure and pipes in all the pubs serving the black stuff. My mate is Quality Control Rep for North County Dublin, and him and his team take their Guinness very seriously. I can usually tell a bad Guinness very quickly, but he can spot any impurities or blockages in the pipes straight away. A good Guinness should have a cream coloured head, and sometimes you get one where the foam is slightly brownish or amber. That means the pipes need cleaning/changing. Also any air bubbles inside the actual stout, visible on the glass, means that the glass was not fully clean.
I used to love Guinness Extra Cold which you cant get here anymore, but you can still get it in parts of the UK, indeed, I had a pint of it last time I was in the Litten Tree in Wolvo.

My mate was telling me that the average bar serving Guinness will need the pipes changing every 6-8 weeks, whilst the Bulmers pipes need to be changed every 2-3 weeks as Bulmers is so acidic that the cider corrodes the rubber.

I think they had quality control in UK as well, as my previous post attempted to say, but I think its only in certain chains.

Bulmers/Magners taste different in the UK to Ireland, they can make it more carbonated under UK regs then under Irish ones. At Clonmel they have different VATS for the Irish and UK.

The extra cold is still very popular over here. In fact most pubs will serve by default if you just ask for a Guinness without specifying "normal Guinness".

I think they had quality control in UK as well, as my previous post attempted to say, but I think its only in certain chains.

Bulmers/Magners taste different in the UK to Ireland, they can make it more carbonated under UK regs then under Irish ones. At Clonmel they have different VATS for the Irish and UK.

Bigtime. If you order a Bulmers in the UK, you get this sickly sweet fake apple shite, with an almost identical label. A clever trick that caught me out last time I was in London drinking on a barge on the Thames. If you want our Bulmers over there, you need to order Magners

Carling Chrome is awful

Is that similar to Google Chrome?
I didn't know Google made beer...
They'll be doing Carling ads next...

If Carling made software packages, everything would work first time...
If Google made lager, it would taste like.. like...

I'm gonna play it safe and try pedigree and banks' bitter. I am very happy with that. Who needs alcopops now LOL

Talking of Banks's, are they on an export drive at the moment. Twice in the last week I have seen their beer in a pub round here having never done so in the last 25 years. They did have a couple of pubs a bit further out, one in Newmarket and the other near Stowmarket , I think, but they didn't last long.

Your right not much difference nowdays, although you are more likely to get a "bad" one over in England.
Dont know the ins & outs about the kegs, I think it was more to do with how it was kept and poured any Guinness I found served in a Banks pub was nearly always muck at one time.
Guinness got there act together in England in the mid-90's, I know the Irish bar Mooneys (which has now gone) on Princess St when that opened the Guinness staff came in to show them how to store the kegs, set up cooling trays in the celler etc, which must have worked cos they did a good pint of the stuff.

There have been a number of changes. UK Guinness has not been brewed at Park Royal for many years and is now tankered over from Dublin for packaging at places like Robinsons in Stockport. WH don't you dare call Robbies bland, in the wrong pub maybe, not many of those left.
I understand that a lot of Irish draught Guinness was filtered but not pasturised up until the 1990s and so far as I know that might remain so. This might challenge some perceptions.

Last edited:
just a note to try the Porterhouse on the sea front in Bray.

I spent many a night pissed in there in 2007. Do they still serve Chiller lager? That stuff seriously rots your insides.

Sorry but i like ice in my cider. No snob is going to tell me any different

Lime is needed in Corona as it's disgusting without it. it also discourages the flies and Mosquitos.

I didn't say originally it was!

Mexicans cover their food in lime juice to discourage Mosquitos

So you meant it discourages the flies and mosiquitos now? In Wolverhampton? ;)

I have several for this week to try. Chang is one. Spotty dog aswell and a few others.

I think this thread is making me an alcoholic :s

I have several for this week to try. Chang is one. Spotty dog aswell and a few others.

I think this thread is making me an alcoholic :s

Alcoholics normally have better tastes. Looking forward to the 'feeling brave so might try a Stella' update.

Back