• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Sorry, I tend to ignore stupid arguments.

As I do with stupid gimmicks ;)

Food pairing isn't a gimmick. Adding something to a beer is no different from salting the rim of a margarita, pairing a proper wine with dinner, etc. The whole "herpa derp, my danged beer don't need no goddamn FRUIT in it, ya pansy, heurr durr!!" schtick is a bit old. There's no need for ridiculous, boxed-in generalities to limit your selection of booze. It's just beer, man. Try to enjoy it.

Last edited:
I once put a pork scratching in my coke, it was disgusting.

I'm of the opinion that a well crafted beer doesn't need anything added to it, and that pairing food with drink is different to creating a USP for your drink to make it stand out in a crowd.

Nothing to do with machismo.

I've only had one pint of it. We were gigging in London and my other half's mate asked if I wanted a beer. I asked for any ale, as there were a couple on offer, and he came back with Blue Moon. I was most disappointed and ended up giving it to the drummer, who, as most drummers, hardly has exacting tastes!

I'll just give The Drummer a nudge and as he's just shipped his latest squeeze off to the airport, once he gets the feeling back in his knees, and can stand up straight, we'll see how he responds to that shocking insult!

What was up with the Blue Moon?
Too weak, no taste, awful taste.....??

Out of interest, when you said that's it's served with an orange, did you mean as a side dish, or with a segment wedged in the bottle neck?

I'll just give The Drummer a nudge and as he's just shipped his latest squeeze off to the airport, once he gets the feeling back in his knees, and can stand up straight, we'll see how he responds to that shocking insult!

Ha! I was wondering if he would pick up on it, that was 50% of the reason I said it. The other 50% was based on FACKT.

I once put a pork scratching in my coke, it was disgusting.

Then you've done it wrong, mate! :D

I'm of the opinion that a well crafted beer doesn't need anything added to it, and that pairing food with drink is different to creating a USP for your drink to make it stand out in a crowd.

Nothing to do with machismo.

I don't find it very different at all. I enjoy putting limes and salt in my cervezas. Why? Because it's delicious. Have you ever had a pre-limed beer? Oh good lord it's disgusting. I'll add my own, thanks. It's just not the same. There is plenty of quality food and beverage out there that is typically paired with other items, I don't think it's necessarily an indication of poor quality.

Now, if you're just not a fan of that style of beer in general, that's an entirely different matter.

Out of interest, when you said that's it's served with an orange, did you mean as a side dish, or with a segment wedged in the bottle neck?

Neither. I've only seen it served with oranges when ordered on tap. It's served in one of two ways: orange cut down the middle in a circle and layed flat on the top of the beer, or sliced like a wedge and hanging on the side of the rim. I see the former more often, and prefer it. Give it a little squeeze, let it sit on top and get a little taste of orange every sip. Yum. Very refreshing.

I can see how someone wouldn't like it, though that's not at all different from any other beer. If you don't like wheat or citrus beers in general, it's probably not gonna be your cup of tea...

I, in all honesty, prefer Corona with no lime at all.

I, in all honesty, prefer Corona with no lime at all.

Heathen!

; )

Do you consider it a poor reflection on Corona that so many people do enjoy lime with it, though? That's the point I was trying to make. It's just a common pairing. Blue Moon can certainly be ordered without an orange. Would it be a better beer then?

Heathen!

; )

Do you consider it a poor reflection on Corona that so many people do enjoy lime with it, though? That's the point I was trying to make. It's just a common pairing. Blue Moon can certainly be ordered without an orange. Would it be a better beer then?

I consider it a clever marketing ploy. Like Magners with ice.

I had Blue Moon without orange, but then I don't like wheat beer, nor sweet beer, nor fruity beer so it's a non-starter for me!

As far as I'm concerned, beer should be judged on the taste of the beer, not a gimmicky 'pep-up' added as an afterthought.

You wouldn't put tomato ketchup in your chicken jalfrezi, would you?

Same as cider with ice. Utter nonsense.

I like blue moon and corona just fine by themselves. I also like blue moon and corona even more with some fruit in them! French fries are pretty tasty, but I would certainly put ketchup on them. A quality steak is fantastic on its own, yet I have no aversion to putting marsala sauce on it. Hmm, maybe *I'm* the heathen....

Having said that, cider and ice? Gtfo.

What about Lime Pickle though... it's a must have!

As far as I'm concerned, chicken jalfrezi should be judged on the taste of the chicken jalfrezi, not a gimmicky 'pep-up' added as an afterthought.

Quite right, t3ch!!

Machin - you're thinking of the poppadum starter, where lime pickle belongs.

There's room for lime pickle with any curry. Especially if it's a bit bland or lacking in kick.

Order a proper curry in the first place then, you girl.

Back