• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Arsenal 2-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

The Bear

Euro 2012 PTG Champion
Staff member
Reaction score

A good spell in the second half but ultimately lax defending and individual mistakes cost us. A reasonable showing for a tough starting game though and there was nothing wrong with the way we set up or the subs.

Last edited:
Sa the difference between the chance of a battling 0-0 and the 0-2 reality. Get rid.

Toti a bombsite in possession.

Mosquera superb.

Reasonable performance. Few scary moments first half trying to play out from the back especially from Sa and Toti.

At 1-0 we had a 15 minute spell where we were on top and if we'd scored could have got something from the game.

A winger and a centre back is the minimum we require, I think more of these fringe players are going to go so in reality we probably need 3 or 4 but those 2 positions are definitely needed, and players of real quality

I also think Saka and Hwang should both have been booked for diving. They are both serial offenders too. Boils my piss.
Yep and Gabriel should have been booked for the classic big six bodycheck when we were breaking in the first half - they were very close to each other in terms of time. Bellegarde was booked when the useless ref counted out two fouls. Gabriel did it again in the second half but it wasn't so obvious.

Both Mosquera incidents are top of Reddit. Could be a lively season

Good performance from Yerson. I think we may have to get used to the idea of losing him for a few games here & there as his shithousery (much as I love it) will eventually backfire and see him sent off. He plays right on the line, though - and you don’t want to take that side of his game away. Imperative that we sign someone who can slot in aside him before the window closes, although I don’t get some of the stick Toti receives on here I’d still like to see another option there.

Lemina was excellent today - covered loads of ground and helped out the back 4. He’ll be just fine as captain. Wasn’t quite sure what to expect from Strand Larsen after his mixed pre-season reviews, but I thought he led the line well and having Cunha back behind him will help get the best out of him. Nice to have an actual adult up there who can control the ball and hold it up.

Shout out to Doc - thought he did well today.

Noticeable difference in the quality of player we were able to bring off the bench today. With Nels, Bouba & hopefully a couple more signings we should avoid the situation we were in last season. I’d like us to try and persuade Podence to stay.

BBC match report is very harsh on us I think labelling us “toothless” and making out it was the Alamo at times.
No denying the result and scoreline is fair but we weren’t bartered

Not watched the whole thing back yet but seen a couple of clips; I cannot believe I only got one season free of mispronounced Latin American names.

Say it with me, NBC: Jer-sahn. With a ‘J’.

BBC match report is very harsh on us I think labelling us “toothless” and making out it was the Alamo at times.
No denying the result and scoreline is fair but we weren’t bartered
Both FiveLive and Shearer ( who was watching for MOTD) bith stated that whilst it was ultimately comfortable, Wolves gave a good account of themselves and until the 2nd goal were worrying the home side. Certainly not a procession as the BBC and Guardian reports make it sound.

Strand Larsen was unlucky, it was a good save. Cunha should have done better. These are the chances that have to be taken against clearly superior teams.

First half we were dogged but uninspiring, we really struggled to get any of our attacking players into the game. Strand Larsen's control made Hwang look peak Pirlo - he was energetic and enthusiastic but nothing stuck to him.

R Gomes was hardly involved first half, slightly better second half.

J Gomes had a decent game as did Mario Jnr who did a really good job in front of the back 2.

Toti was a liability first half, again improved second half. Mosquera looks promising.

Sa, at fault for the first goal...either come out and take everyone out or stay on your line, he did neither. Could also have done better for the second but that might be a but harsh.

Second half, both Doherty and Ait Nouri were pushed a bit further forward and it helped us push Arsenal back...but ultimately, we are still not great in the final third. We def8n8tely need Cunha fit and firing.

Ir definitely wasn't bad, but the old failings are still there

Listened to it on 5Live, they gave us a bit of credit early second half with the Arsenal fans getting a bit nervous but the admiration bias, as it always is with those at the top, is always evident.
We’ll have some idea of how things are gonna pan out at the end of November having played Palace, Southampton, Fulham and Bournemouth during that month.

All as expected. We looked what we are - a decent mid-table side that with a couple of signings could be a decent top-half side. Lost to two very good goals and a worldie save. Plenty of teams will come away from the Emirates looking a lot worse.

Back