• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

2024 General Election Thread

Who did you Vote For

• Labour

Votes: 35 63.6%
  • Tory

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lib Dem

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Green

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Farage Ltd

• Serious Independent

• Plaid Cymru

• SNP

• One of the Niron ones

• Count Binface

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Mr Baked Bean Face

• Other Strange Party/Independent

• Total voters
Chris Philp held his seat. 🙁

Bim Afolami lost his 🙂

Nice to see such a big majority for the Tories to lose by.

Not so great to see that cunt Farage become an MP. I know a couple of guys who unfortunately voted Reform. And because they're decent people I tried to explain to them that Reform is all right-wing bluster and bullshit but they seem to believe all the shit that Farage spouts.

No shock that Rishi will be stepping down as the Leader of the Tories. Will go when they have picked whichever fuck knuckle they have available

I think he’d had enough so called the election early.
A good departing speech compared to the nonsense from Johnson and Truss.

Glad as i am that we don't have PR, it doesn't really feel like we're doing democracy right
I've wondered about this a lot, and wonder if a preferential vote in an FPTP system is something to look into. Just like Mayoral elections were until recently.

A good departing speech compared to the nonsense from Johnson and Truss.
Yep - Humble, gracious & honest.....all the bastard things he hasn't been before now. So, you know fuck him.

The kind of speech you would expect from a departing PM - Can only imagine the mad ramblings from Boris if he had lost in this manner

Still amazes me how quick the transition of power is - You lost, now piss off and you, start sorting this shit out.

I don't think we are. The last 2 elections have been fought on single issues 'Getting Brexit done' and fucking the Tories off. If they were to fix themselves whatever that looks like then I think you go back to the 2 Party state

I've wondered about this a lot, and wonder if a preferential vote in an FPTP system is something to look into. Just like Mayoral elections were until recently.
We had a referendum on PR. I think this country has probably had enough of referendums just for now, but it may get revisited again in a few years. Preferably after Reform have disappeared into the night.

View attachment 10930

As predicted, we are entering a very strange era of multi-party politics which FPTP isn't really capable of handling.
Labour picked its battles and used votes efficiently to topple vulnerable tories who only had small majorities because the 2019 election was a bit of an oddity.

We are definitely looking like more than 2 parties, and FPTP is handling it just fine and dandy. Vote percentage isn't the be all and end all.

We had a referendum on PR. I think this country has probably had enough of referendums just for now, but it may get revisited again in a few years. Preferably after Reform have disappeared into the night.
Not saying we should, just replying to the thread. But you don't need referendums for everything anyway, Tories got rid of this system in mayoral elections without asking. I'd probably start with putting it back on for those, then maybe locals, then consider national.

I think changing the national voting decision is so fundamental it might need some form of approval from the voters. In terms of Constitutional Law I don't think it is a definite need though.

I don't think we are. The last 2 elections have been fought on single issues 'Getting Brexit done' and fucking the Tories off. If they were to fix themselves I think you go back to the 2 Party state
Nah what those elections did was temporarily stop and partially reverse the longer-term trend going back to 1983, when the SDP-Liberal alliance created a three-way split that gave Thatcher her first landslide. Ever since the shares of the vote won by the top two parties has steadily decreased, and turnout too, while minor parties of all stripes have become more and more appealing for voters, which in turn has broken long-term loyalties that led to many of the "stonking" seat majorities we're traditionally used to in the UK.

FPTP only really works in two-party systems. We're now in a situation where there are two regional parties (the SNP being particularly strong), and five national (ex-NI) parties attracting millions of votes each across the political spectrum. Without the binary polarisation of the Brexit years the trend has been restored, and this might be the system entering a particularly vicious circle: people voting against the top two parties for a variety of reasons but one of those parties being rewarded by the lopsided electoral system with power, which they then fail to use to satisfy those dissatisfied people, increasing the probability that they then get even more people specifically voting against them.

Like we're now in a situation where there aren't really any safe seats for any party. This is a 1997-sized landslide won with a third of the popular vote. Labour only have to lose a couple more points in the popular vote and things start to get extremely unstable in terms of how the other parties start bubbling up to replace them - and they're not going to be able to be all things to all people within their new coalition, most of their MPs are defending thin majorities but for radically different kinds of constituencies. Starmer's going to have a nightmare trying to hold his party together if things start to dip at any point and the panic pulls in lots of different directions.

It appears that Labour got around 34%. Is that the lowest ever percentage for a party that wins a UK general election, with an overall majority?
The only other election that comes close is 2005, when Blair won with 36%.

Historically, 34% is the kind of vote share that means you've suffered a landslide loss. All things are relative, of course, but the disconnect between popularity and seat share is so stark here as to be an unavoidable issue, and it's no surprise that the mood in the party is clearly less jubilant than in 1997. I think that Ming vase strategy isn't going anywhere.

Back