• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves History Thread

I recall the anxiety shifting when there was an image of Sir Jack on the big screen and he put his thumbs up.
About the 80th minute I reckon

I remember on about 85 minutes someone shouting about already being up and everyone telling him to shut up and not jinx it.

I recall the anxiety shifting when there was an image of Sir Jack on the big screen and he put his thumbs up.
About the 80th minute I reckon
Just checked and it was 77th minute he did that. It definitely felt like a 'sign' but in reality [as the Watford SF proved] there was still plenty of time for us to snatch a defeat

As people jumped the gun and started talking about the second leg vs Reading before it was time :D , 13 years ago today:

Marking for the Sunderland Goal is comical especially Mancienne just watching on.
Seasnong just miss kicks then kicks the ground.

John Richards carried by Wolves fans celebrating victory over Swindon Town in the League Cup Semi-Final 2nd leg Molineux, 12th February 1980. Wolves won 3-1 and 4-3 on aggregate to reach the Final at Wembley.

FB_IMG_1715722794749.jpg

After the gloom of this week, happier stuff from 21 years ago today:

Still feels like yesterday.

Also my favourite Wolves penalty save of all time.

1) Never a penalty
2) Potential to completely change the momentum of the game
3) What was at stake
4) It was that absolute wanker Brown taking it
5) Murray properly psyching him out. Daring him to put it there and he did

Latest update on my project where I've been collating as many I can of Wolves match highlights (starting from 1921 and up to this season and beyond).

The ultimate goal is to create a YouTube channel (purely non-monetised as it's a passion project) where Wolves fans can go to a one-stop channel to view match highlights. There's a few channels around which feature Wolves but they're all rather incomplete.

On my desktop I already have a folder and content for each season since 1954/55. The number of matches per season tends to vary from just under 10 per season to 50+.

I've been busily cleaning up the videos (where possible) ie correctly formatting the aspect ratios, contrast, brightness and saturation etc etc.

I now have over 1,200 match highlights completed from 1921 to 2017/18; but from 2018/19 onwards highlights are copyright blocked by the Premier League and UEFA (a bit disappointing but not unexpected) but I can always create season playlists by simply linking the original clips (usually from Wolves TV). it's annoying as the YouTube titles are generally shit, but at least the video quality is always good ie. 1080p.

I've already got the channel mapped out as to how it will be organised:
1. Folder for each decade.
2. Playlist for each season.
3. Games sorted in date sequence.
4. Title format:
Home Team Score-Score Away Team (Competition - Date)
eg. Wolves 4-2 Sheffield United (Championship - 8/5/2005)
Manchester United 1-3 Wolves (Division 1 - 8/1/1972)
I won't be using Wolverhampton Wanderers in the title just Wolves (just to keep the title within the number of characters allowed),
but I will use the full title of the opposing team.

I'm torn re the channel title between The Wolves Library or The Wolves Archive - any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Later on I'll be contacting both ITV and BBC Archives to see if I can access match highlights from their files but that will be for another day.

I anticipate I'll be going live with the channel in either late June or early July.

At times it's been rather painful going through highlights of games where Wolves have been hammered and/or a game where the result has been particularly downbeat for the club.

As an aside, where I had no real previous knowledge or view of Wolves from 1982 to 1998 (given that coverage in NZ was non-existent apart from the results in the Monday newspapers); but what the fuck happened in 1996/97 i.e. how the hell did Wolves not get automatic promotion with the team we had, but where our home form was abysmal ?

Latest update on my project where I've been collating as many I can of Wolves match highlights (starting from 1921 and up to this season and beyond).

The ultimate goal is to create a YouTube channel (purely non-monetised as it's a passion project) where Wolves fans can go to a one-stop channel to view match highlights. There's a few channels around which feature Wolves but they're all rather incomplete.

On my desktop I already have a folder and content for each season since 1954/55. The number of matches per season tends to vary from just under 10 per season to 50+.

I've been busily cleaning up the videos (where possible) ie correctly formatting the aspect ratios, contrast, brightness and saturation etc etc.

I now have over 1,200 match highlights completed from 1921 to 2017/18; but from 2018/19 onwards highlights are copyright blocked by the Premier League and UEFA (a bit disappointing but not unexpected) but I can always create season playlists by simply linking the original clips (usually from Wolves TV). it's annoying as the YouTube titles are generally shit, but at least the video quality is always good ie. 1080p.

I've already got the channel mapped out as to how it will be organised:
1. Folder for each decade.
2. Playlist for each season.
3. Games sorted in date sequence.
4. Title format:
Home Team Score-Score Away Team (Competition - Date)
eg. Wolves 4-2 Sheffield United (Championship - 8/5/2005)
Manchester United 1-3 Wolves (Division 1 - 8/1/1972)
I won't be using Wolverhampton Wanderers in the title just Wolves (just to keep the title within the number of characters allowed),
but I will use the full title of the opposing team.

I'm torn re the channel title between The Wolves Library or The Wolves Archive - any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Later on I'll be contacting both ITV and BBC Archives to see if I can access match highlights from their files but that will be for another day.

I anticipate I'll be going live with the channel in either late June or early July.

At times it's been rather painful going through highlights of games where Wolves have been hammered and/or a game where the result has been particularly downbeat for the club.

As an aside, where I had no real previous knowledge or view of Wolves from 1982 to 1998 (given that coverage in NZ was non-existent apart from the results in the Monday newspapers); but what the fuck happened in 1996/97 i.e. how the hell did Wolves not get automatic promotion with the team we had, but where our home form was abysmal ?
Sounds great, looking forward to it.
A mate of mine (he's 85) will love it, he's an avid youtube watcher and from a Wolves pov loves the 50s/early 60s era.

Sounds great, looking forward to it.
A mate of mine (he's 85) will love it, he's an avid youtube watcher and from a Wolves pov loves the 50s/early 60s era.
Thanks.

It's been quite interesting re the development and expansion of football coverage in England.

Prior to the advent of Match Of The Day in 1964, coverage was extremely sparse. Basically in the 1950s you had Pathe providing newsreel short highlights, mostly of FA Cup ties, league games were almost never covered.

Even with MOTD you only had 1-2 games a week and then ITV got into the game in the mid-60s.

ITV was originally a network of separate companies which provided regional television services and also shared programmes between each other to be shown on the entire network eg London Weekend TV (LWT), Anglia, Granada TV, Yorkshire TV, Thames TV, ATV Midlands etc.

Total games covered (BBC + ITV) numbered approximately 10-12 per week, which generally was the limit way into the 1980s.

So for the 50s and 60s I've got around half-a-dozen games per season and the 70s and 80s around 10-12 games per season.

I should also add both the BBC and ITV had a tendency to wipe their video files (60s and 70s) so they'd be many games/TV series now erased from ever being viewed again.

An example of a game that was wiped was the only game I ever went to at The Hawthorns in Feb 28th 1970 when Wolves and WBA played a classic 3-3 draw and I still recall watching the game again on Star Soccer on the Sunday afternoon.

Wow, great work. It's always important to have a record of these things, especially in an age where so much footage is being produced, yet behind paywalls or inaccessible altogether.

My vote would be for The Wolves Archive out of those two options.

Thanks.

It's been quite interesting re the development and expansion of football coverage in England.

Prior to the advent of Match Of The Day in 1964, coverage was extremely sparse. Basically in the 1950s you had Pathe providing newsreel short highlights, mostly of FA Cup ties, league games were almost never covered.

Even with MOTD you only had 1-2 games a week and then ITV got into the game in the mid-60s.

ITV was originally a network of separate companies which provided regional television services and also shared programmes between each other to be shown on the entire network eg London Weekend TV (LWT), Anglia, Granada TV, Yorkshire TV, Thames TV, ATV Midlands etc.

Total games covered (BBC + ITV) numbered approximately 10-12 per week, which generally was the limit way into the 1980s.

So for the 50s and 60s I've got around half-a-dozen games per season and the 70s and 80s around 10-12 games per season.

I should also add both the BBC and ITV had a tendency to wipe their video files (60s and 70s) so they'd be many games/TV series now erased from ever being viewed again.

An example of a game that was wiped was the only game I ever went to at The Hawthorns in Feb 28th 1970 when Wolves and WBA played a classic 3-3 draw and I still recall watching the game again on Star Soccer on the Sunday afternoon.
Motd and Star Soccer with Gary Newbon and Hugh Johns was a big part of my youth in 60s and 70s.

Wow, great work. It's always important to have a record of these things, especially in an age where so much footage is being produced, yet behind paywalls or inaccessible altogether.

My vote would be for The Wolves Archive out of those two options.

Thanks.

That's my main motivation for doing this.

Motd and Star Soccer with Gary Newbon and Hugh Johns was a big part of my youth in 60s and 70s.

Likewise.

Mark McGhee happened, basically.

Back