• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves History Thread

Will deffo be watching this! Never knew any of this:

Cool shirt might have to get also...

JerseyFrontLAWolves.png

Crikey. My dad used to worked for the sleeve sponsor Avery Dennison about 30 years ago. I do like that shirt and may try and pick one up.

What I'd consider to be our strongest XI that season was really good. Not sure we EVER managed to put it out though! Someone was always injured.

------------------------------Stowell---------------------------------

------------Richards----------Curle---------Venus-------------------

Smith--------------------------------------------------------Froggatt

---------------Emblen-------Osborn-------Thomas---------------------

---------------------Bull----------Roberts/Goodman------------------------

League starts:

Curle 22
Richards 19
Emblen 27
Thomas 17
Froggatt 27
Goodman 20 (in fairness was injured to start with and then rotated with Iwan)

Just nowhere near enough from any of them. Daley didn't play a single minute all season either and Ady Williams only managed 8 games. So we had to fall back on the likes of Atkins/Corica/Thompson/Ferguson too much and they simply weren't good enough.

I mentioned Paul Jones' masterclass vs Preston in 2004 in passing earlier.

From around 4 minutes, here it is in all its glory.

I'd forgotten how awful their second goal was too...

Watching Jones and getting to see the future of flapping keeping at Molineux in Andy Lonergan. Perfection

Watching Jones and getting to see the future of flapping keeping at Molineux in Andy Lonergan. Perfection
Leon about half the size that he became a year or so later too. Glorious times.

I'm sure Lonners had at least one worldie against us in his PNE days.

If only Fabio could finish like Bully.
Seen Bully miss loads of one on ones. And loads of other different types of chance.

He was never as clinical as people like to remember. He just didn't give a shit if he missed, he'd keep going plus for at least 80% of his time here, our entire attacking plan was to give him as many opportunities as possible, nothing else mattered.

Leon about half the size that he became a year or so later too. Glorious times.

I'm sure Lonners had at least one worldie against us in his PNE days.
Leon was decent that season as he gave a shit and put the effort in. Never gave up....then gave up.

I've seen Lonners make a wordie save for Wolves (Crewe in the Pizza Trophy)....i've also seen him dive at crosses 5 ft away from him so...

That Miller finish in the Preston game was superb.
"He's been on the list for months and who's come in for him, no-one, exactly".

Then everyone else got injured and he had to use him, and he scored 20 goals in a shit team, but was so pissed off that he decided nearly two years in advance he was going to leave on a free.

Good management DJ.

There is a clip a little later about Lescott from Jones, who talks about the temptation in not playing him after such a long lay off (a year)

He then plays him, for the whole 90 mins.

Sake.

There is a clip a little later about Lescott from Jones, who talks about the temptation in not playing him after such a long lay off (a year)

He then plays him, for the whole 90 mins.

Sake.
Burnley away?

He very nearly played Michael Oakes at LB in that one too. And actually did bring on Gary "Mulletgun" Mulligan.

Back