• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves complain to UEFA

A friend went to the match and although was on time, wasn't able to get into the ground till half time.

It's clear Braga shouldn't have sold tickets in the home end. Not a dig at anyone who bought them, but they weren't set up to cope with it

It's clear Braga shouldn't have sold tickets in the home end. Not a dig at anyone who bought them, but they weren't set up to cope with it

Hmm it was those who bought official away tickets that were disproportionately affected as it all depended from which direction you approached the ground. The official away fans approached from down the hill (and were then subject to queues, delays and worse); most of us with tickets in the home section approached from over the cliff at the back and got in without any issues.

Plus Braga gave Liverpool over 5000 tickets when they played there, so the numbers including those in the home ends is a complete red herring.

That's not the point I'm trying to make. They sold tickets in the home end, leading to a heightened police presence and an expectation of trouble.

If the problem were fans in the home end surely the problems, and police themselves, would be where those fans were entering, which according to Banjo wasn’t the case.

Good. Too late for our fans but maybe it will improve things for others (and maybe other clubs will be a bit more organised and have less overtly threatening and violent riot police on duty)!

There was certainly more than 2000 down the hill. If there wasn’t then it wouldn’t have taken 90 minutes plus to get everyone in.

They couldn’t handle the crowd, they shouldn’t have sold the tickets.

Plus Braga gave Liverpool over 5000 tickets when they played there, so the numbers including those in the home ends is a complete red herring.
I wonder if Liverpool encountered the same issues? Does anyone recall another fixture where the home team has knowingly sold that amount of tickets to away fans?

It's a bit of a misnomer to say they were selling tickets in the home end. Wolves fans were clearly segregated to the top tier of the east stand only, there was never a chance of fans mixing inside the ground.

The main issue was they tried to get several thousand people through a very limited number of turnstiles, and/or gates for the security checks.

Couldn't help but feel this was a bit of a dig -

Braga also emphasised that they have “extensive and successful experience with UEFA in organising games for European competition, gained over consecutive seasons of competing in major tournaments and against opponents from various countries, whose supporters have been welcomed by the club and the city.”

I think they're just trying to distance themselves from it and, if anything, try to leave the blame with the police and/or local authority.

In terms of the queues - it was just random luck as to which way you approached the ground. Not too many Wolves fans came in over the top of the ground. Instead of standing around in warrior pose with giant fuck-off batons, maybe the police should have just directed, say, 1500 Wolves fans to enter the ground from the other side. But the organisation was a nightmare. I'm pretty sure the conditions did not help. The rain was heavy and hit you from every direction. It was also loud and windy - made it almost impossible to communicate properly.

2 blokes doing a proper thorough search for 2k+ fans. Absolute shambles. There 3 people doing a search for my block only in the NB

Back