• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves Academy Thread

I have a feeling that us not signing a forward last January and Fraser's move to Shrewsbury therefore being pulled will prove to be a pivotal moment in his career. Not going there, playing for our first team, looking completely out of his depth, potentially knocking his confidence has resulted in the best loan we can get him is to a piss poor league off anybody's radar. There's a parallel world where he went there, scored 10 goals and now is on loan in the Championship (or was dropped after 2 games for not being good enough)
It’s really fascinating to me how differently this is viewed vs what I expect the “American” (massively generalized obv) view of it to be. In terms of Fraser’s Prem minutes specifically.

Not meaning to imply rightness or wrongness. Just an observation.

I may be way off but thought it was odd we never pushed him into the first team when we ran out of forwards. He got on the bench a few times but out of all the young lads, he was at least used dealing with experienced CB's. Just feel he would have had added more value in the 11 v Coventry than Fraser did
He certainly would have been better than Fraser but GoN wants a big unit up front.

The club are being weird with the youth at the moment in that they seem to be prioritising physical attributes over ability and Holman is quick but not a lot else physically but he has that natural strikers instinct the club don't seem to value for some reason.

I don't think he's ready now but a good loan to a lg1/2 club would do him the world of good as our youth team isn't any good for him at the moment.

GoN also strikes me as the type of manager who values picking experience over youth. Nothing wrong with that but it does stifle players and if the club want to buy low to sell high GoN is going to have to change his approach.

Is that odd to release them at the beginning of the season rather than the end of previous one?

Is that odd to release them at the beginning of the season rather than the end of previous one?
Probably knew months ago and we have been trying to help them get clubs. Their actual contracts would have expired in July but I think we have a duty of care to help them through the first few months of being released.

Given the amount of players we've signed recently for the U23s it's probably doing them a favour. Rees is already at Rushall apparently

Leaves the following Academy players out of contract at the end of the season according to my records:

Justin Hubner
Matty Whittingham
Mateus Mané
Stan Amos
Arthur Nasta
Harry Birtwistle
Filozofe Mabate
Temple Ojinnaka
Thomas Edozie
Aaron Keto-Diyawa
Ackeme Francis-Burrell
Lewys Benjamin
Tyler Roberts
Jimmy Storer
Marvin Kaleta

Would expect Mané to earn another deal (he's currently with England U18s) and Benjamin too (seems highly rated and should be playing the Sherpa Van games rather than Tom King) but the rest all have plenty of work to do.

Would expect Mané to earn another deal (he's currently with England U18s) and Benjamin too (seems highly rated and should be playing the Sherpa Van games rather than Tom King) but the rest all have plenty of work to do.
He's away with Wales U19s

He's away with Wales U19s
Ah, of course.

Still though I'd rather give Nasta or Amos a game. I could buy playing King if he were a settling influence for the young lads at the back but he's a catastrophe.

Bentley played last year against Derby and was a car crash too

I'm sure Lonners pulled out a Lonners howler when he played too.

I do wonder if it's a game where we may have done well to put Cundle in. He isn't playing any football at all (I'm sure would have gone out on loan if Bouba hadn't got injured).

I am assuming that Steve McClaren Mon has picked Lembikisa so he wasn't available.

I'm sure Lonners pulled out a Lonners howler when he played too.

I do wonder if it's a game where we may have done well to put Cundle in. He isn't playing any football at all (I'm sure would have gone out on loan if Bouba hadn't got injured).

I am assuming that Steve McClaren Mon has picked Lembikisa so he wasn't available.
Great point about Cundle, he's going to stall this season until at least January

Cundle was going to Stoke it supposedly fell down on deadline day for whatever reason.Traore was going to Feyenoord

Last edited:
4-0, Farmer.

They’re clearly a level above Huddersfield here. Some lovely one touch football being played.

Back