• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 3 - Brentford 0 a standard day at Molineux this year verdict thread

Nuno conducting the fans singing 'we're fucking shit in the winter' was a a real highlight tonight :)
That was my highlight along with our 6th choice centre back pinging a 50 yarder onto the foot of our worst player who brought it down perfectly.

That was my highlight along with our 6th choice centre back pinging a 50 yarder onto the foot of our worst player who brought it down perfectly.
Plus Neves's Cruyff turn, lovely skill from Bright in the centre circle, etc, etc. We were proper class in the 2nd half.

Then flicked it over their player's head as well.

Brilliant performance could have had five in the first half alone. Little bit of credit to Brentford who were always in it until we scored, then once we did we pretty easily swept them aside. Not bad against a team who were on a similar unbeaten run to us. Vibe had 6 in 5 but didn't really get a kick.

I pity any goalie who now has to see Neves and Bazza standing over a free-kick the rest of this season.

How long before teams start playing weaken sides against us to cut their losses.

The second goal was a thing of utter and complete beauty. And that Neves turn... Oh my word.

Just back, superb as per usual :icon_wink: we're shit in the winter :easy:

What a strange game. Brentford slightly the better of the sides with the ball in the first half, However we should have been at least 2 up. Second half was a masterclass in skill, power,, pace and deadly finishing.

I have read through the match thread, agree Cav's introduction changed the game,
thats not a slight on Costa but it seriously changed everything when he come on.
Crowd was a bit quiet again first half its strange the bigger the attendance the less atmosphere
I think everybody is too nervous. So I say don't be nervous we are walking it (if this statement makes you feel
nervous you know what I mean).

So happy when Hause came on. Hause - Coady - Boly could be amazeballs. Alas it may only be as a warm-up for then Swansea game

Brentford were decent enough in the first half, pretty much what they have been all season. Pretty football that comes off at times against most sides but weak at the back. We were good for 15 minutes then pretty average but should have 2 or 3 up, Leo, Jota(twice), Doc and Costa all went close. Costa looked bright, set up Leo for his chance, got away from 2 once only to be taken down and he was better than Jota but he is still getting back to fitness and you can see it.

Second half we stepped it up and when Cav came on we looked a different animal. He frightened them straight away and gaps started appearing everywhere. The Neves free kick was sublime and the move for Barry's right footed finish was a pleasure. The third was scrappy but we deserved it and could have had more.

It was good to see Hause come on and it was like watching a left footed Boly, he looked imperious. Made a couple of tackles and didn't give the ball away at all including a sweet half volley across the pitch to Doc who chested it down and then flicked it over their players head.

Agree mostly with what others have said regarding the ref, he was average in the first half and gave a couple of poor decisions but he was superb in the second half. Gave fouls when they needed to be given, let play go on if he could have brought it back a few times when there was no advantage and booked players for bookable offences. That second half made a change from the usual standard of refereeing.

Best moment of the game was surely when Nuno was conducting "we'll be shit in the winter" and "when winter comes we'll be shit". Outstanding from a top class manager and how lucky we are to have him.

I thought the ref was ok too, makes a change these days to have one that doesn't infuriate.

The result and performance (mainly after the introduction of Cav) was a joy to behold. It all looks so effortless. Well organised, everyone knows their role and if someone fluffs his lines, one of his teammates is on hand to help out. Little challenges in midfield lead to exciting counterattacks.

I almost feel sorry for the opposition having to face these lot. I feel that one of our major strengths is the vision and technique of the likes of Cav, Neves, Jota and Saiss who mame such incisive balls into danger areas which just cut through the opposition defence.

There is an air of anticipation when Douglas is lining up a free kick yet suddenly Neves takes one instead and blasts it into the net! Douglas's moment came shortly afterwards with a terrific finish laid on by the imperious Cav.

I thought Jota's goal was a scrappy affair but having watched the highlights it was better than I thought.

Nuno oozes class in that interview with his words about Foz. This guy is fantastic and I can't believe our luck in having him.

14 points clear of 3rd, with goal difference make that 15 which is 5 wins. Unbelievable stuff!

Big thanks to JLovatt for the ticket, much appreciated!
Thought we had a tough first half and Brentford were there to give us a good game. Seemed like they had a lot of possession and were pressing with a fairly high line. We struggles to unlock them with a lot of searching diagonal balls being over hit and floating straight out of play. I'm guessing the 50mph winds had something to do with that, tbf! Having said that we created the best chances and Brentford didn't really threaten.
Second half was a different story altogether. Once Cav came on, his direct running and desire to be on the ball asked serious questions of Brentford's defence, for which they had no answer. Stunning freekick from Neves - amazing technique. Then Cav working his magic to set up Bazza just a minute later and there was no looking back.
On Costa, I thought he started well but drifted out of the game throughout the first half. Didn't seem to make himself available, or exploit any space created by the imperious Bonatini. Odd timing on the sub, but it came just after Leo sent a lovely through ball ahead of Costa who just wasn't on the same wavelength. He should have been making that run before Leo even looked up, but he waited until the pass had been player before even starting his move. Hopefully he can sort himself out because he looked great in the first 20 mins or so.

As usual, lemonjelly is hugely indebted to darlowolf!

Last night was a good game of football. Brentford showed that you can play against wolves and compete. Please take note mr warnock et al. There were no dirty tricks, off the ball stuff, time wasting etc. Brentford played well. They were organised,, and played in the right way. As a result, in the first half, though we had 4-5 good chances to score (leo off the post, costa & doherty with one on ones), brentford bossed possession without creating any major threat. The result was a generally entertaining game of football - 2 sides who were looking to play. I was impressed by canos(?) their number 47 in the first half. We shut him down totally in the 2nd half and he was withdrawn without touching the ball I think.

Brentford played well, and as a result I hope they make the top 6. If they had a striker like SEB in his prime, they would be a major threat. Good to see a team look to play against us, and it had some reward, as the crowd were subdued. The SB was quieter than normal (I blame 3 missing yorkshire men!) and kudos to the SB for singing "we'll sing on our own", as to be fair, they were the only noisy stand at the time. For large sections of the first half, Brentford controlled the ball, and a lot of the game, yet didn't create any real chances.

Wolves came out for the 2nd half like they'd been roasted. On it from the off, getting an instant shot, followed by a corner. We were pumped, Nuno I think wasn't pleased at how we did first half (even though we could have had 2 or 3!) 2nd half we obliterated them. Costa lasted 10 mins, and once again Cav was absolutely immense. He was everywhere, chasing down, harrying, and gave Brentford something to think about. Too many expected Bazza to take the freekick, but it wasn't in the right place for a left footer, and Nees placing the ball showed he fancied it, and it was superb. Within 2 minutes another break like lightening resulted in Bazza sliding in a superb goal, and we'd spent the first 15 mins of the 2nd half totally in Brentfords half. It resulted in the game being effectively over. We created additional chances and could've scored a couple more before Jota got his just desserts by scoring whilst on the ground from a corner.

ruddy - very little to do really

bennett - gets better every time. I recall one incident in the 1st half where the SB were screaming at him to clatter a brentford player. he didn't and got dogs abuse, yet it was the right call staying on his feet as he got the ball and played it out of defence well. That position is 100% his at the moment, and if he keeps performing & improving, may well turn out to be a really useful signing. I think he reads the game well.

Coady - imperious last night. He's become a 7/10 performer week in week out.

Boly - back to his best. Some sublime passing from him.

Doherty - had a great game I thought, not just with the bombing up & down, he added to this with elements of skill - flicks, turns, and numerous occasions where he (like so many players) controlled a ball brilliantly. This control is definitely something the team have been working on, as loads of players control long balls exceptionally well.

Neves - the man is a dream to watch play football. The way he moves is awesome. The manner he turns and loses players is something else. Kevin McDonald used to be able to find space with relative ease, but Neves makes McDonald look an amateur, and also has so much more to his game. His passing, and that exceptional free kick! Just wow!

Saiss - again had a really good game. I think Saiss is very important to how we play, he gets forward a lot, yet the amount of times I see him covering the wing backs is amazing. Works exceptionally hard.

Costa - I really thought he was going to score last night. He needs a goal from open play. Starting to get there, looks a lot more mobile.

Bonatini - whatta worker this fella is! and how creative he can be too. His off the ball work is superb. Another who really deserved a goal last night.

Jota - never gives up. Also, in spite of there being 3 players on him, you still back him to come away with the ball.

Subs
Cav - just imperious! What energy he brings. A ball of pure energy racing around the field, closing Brentford down consistently. And his through balls too are awesome.

Hause - On for Boly, and slotted in like he's never been away. Talk yesterday of him going - no fucking chance on this showing. Hause is a player imo. Ok, it was only 10 mins, but he was involved, twice stopped Brentford attacks, and played the ball out really well.

Enobakhare - again looked part of the team when he came on. A few nice touches to control the ball whilst on the left. Linked up with other players well.

Couple of other points I noticed:
In the first half, Costa, Leo and Jota swapped about a hell of a lot. I saw all 3 in each others position. Indeed I started getting confused as to which one was where, owing to their interchangeability.

The wing backs know when they need to play on the other side (usually following corners, either for or against us) because bazza takes a lot of the ones on the right, and weirdly because of the posts they defend when we are defending a corner. However this highlights how Nuno works organisationally, because they know their role, in the same way that when they bomb forward one of Saiss/Neves is covering them.

Crowd were subdued. Dunno if it was a post christmas thing, but Brentford played football and kept it for long periods. In the 2nd half Nuno clearly wanted more crowd noise. Cav really lifted the crowd.

Crowds been rubbish for a while. Combination of complacency from the fans expecting us to walk it, away fans offering nothing, and wolves deciding to sit back and soak pressure in first half.

Part of it is low away fan numbers as well and them being away from the South Bank. Better atmosphere when there is a decent amount of away fans and they get the South Bank going back at them.

A couple of hundred shouting at a disintrested North Bank doesn't get things going

We were fantastic.

Although Brentford knocked it around well and are a good side (I was impressed with them against Villa the other week) they didn't really carve us open. Their build up play was measured and patient but it didn't matter. They weren't getting through. Yet again, we defended brilliantly. We still created the better opportunities in the first half and although we weren't at our best, we should have been 2 up at half time. Willy Boly in particular was able to carve open their defence better than any Brentford player was able to do to ours.

Then something clicked in the 2nd half and we were a juggernaut of attacking flair, pace, skill and ideas. Wonderful to watch. Whenever Cavaleiro is on the pitch, we look much more threatening. I didn't think Costa was too bad TBH but Cav is playing out of his skin at the moment. Rather like Costa did last season but with far better players around him!

Neves ran the show AGAIN and is probably the best player I've ever seen in a Wolves shirt. 20 years old. I still can't get my head around that. How can someone that young have such a grasp of the game and make everything look so effortless? Pleased he's starting to get amongst the goals too.

At half time, I was think we should give Vinagre a run out but Bazza soon shut me up with his 2nd half display culminating in a cracking finish on his supposed weaker foot.

The only thing missing from the performance was more goals. I'd have loved Leo - who was excellent throughout - to have put his chance away towards the end, which was well blocked.

A great result and performance against a decent side who I hope make the top 6. As for Wolves - we're not going to be stopped. The ability, belief, confidence and professionalism oozes right the way through the club right now and it's brilliant to see. I don't think Nuno will allow us to be complacent or to drop the standards we've set so we'll win more than enough points to see us over the line. Just enjoy the season, folks because it's going to live long in the memory.

Only grumble right now is the needless yellow cards Neves is picking up. Won't be long until he is picking up a 2 game ban for 10 yellows

At half time, I was think we should give Vinagre a run out but Bazza soon shut me up with his 2nd half display culminating in a cracking finish on his supposed weaker foot.

In the first half Douglas was appalling with his right foot...basically all it was good for was standing on then he hits that thunderbastard with it

Back