• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-0 Derby: Ruben's Wonderstrike Verdict Thread

Some choice cuts from Derby's forum:

That goal from Neves was worth the entry fee alone. It’s funny how you watch Derby players in the past like Hughes, Hendrick etc and think they’re bound for big things, but god that lad has it all. Eyebrows raised when they paid 15m but he’s worth double that now. Destined for big things.

A mention to Wolves’ home support also, which was tremendous.

Lets not forget Wolves are a superb team with some exceptional players at this level. In particular the way their full backs get forward and stretch the game is superb and all three of the their centrebacks confident on the ball they make it work perfectly. They're at the summit because they have the players with the right attributes to play the 3-4-3 system so effectively. Neves is a special player and its a joke he's plying his trade against the Championship standard. He is a premium talent. 21 years old ffs...

Massive overreaction by some to this defeat. Our shortcomings were exposed by one of the best teams I’ve seen in the Championship and Ruben Neves the best player ever to grace the championship. You can’t win, press them they pick you off sit off them they dominate the ball. Defence and attack they are supreme. I think they could finish top 7 in the premier league now without any more signings. I think they are that good.

To be fair I didn’t cheer initially I just stood in complete shock at what I had witnessed.

I didn’t even manage to stand up for a couple of seconds. It’s been said, a goal of stunning quality. What sets Neves apart from others who might be able to do something similar is that he can do it again and again.

His left foot is a bit ropey though.

I've seen several. There's one taken by the Derby fans when you can hear some of their fans applaud. There's one taken from the top left corner of the South Bank when you hear one individual shout "he's fuckin shaggin' 'im!" when there's a bit of shirt pulling just before the corner is headed away. There's one taken from the North Bank where you can see some fans just stood there with their hands on their heads. :icon_lol:

The Derby fans were in front of me. I wish I had been recording. In synchronisation, they pretty much all looked at their mate, mouth opened wide and just started clapping.

I've seen several. There's one taken by the Derby fans when you can hear some of their fans applaud. There's one taken from the top left corner of the South Bank when you hear one individual shout "he's fuckin shaggin' 'im!" when there's a bit of shirt pulling just before the corner is headed away. There's one taken from the North Bank where you can see some fans just stood there with their hands on their heads. :icon_lol:

https://twitter.com/alexmolloy/status/984190996450865152?s=21

I finally got to watch the highlights about twenty times ha ha , but I have to say Jota's goal and Bolt's pass would have been worldies if Ruben hadn't stolen their thunder.
I am currently trying to explain the phrase "a dog with two cocks" over here but if they don't get it, who the fuck cares!

Just look at the expressions on the fans' faces :icon_lol:

Dai1W96W0AY_4Uh.jpg

I'm somewhere in 1 of those stills somewhere!!

I'm just in admiration of Gary Rowett, really. He must be one of a handful of managers - if not the only one - who has commended us for good recruitment and praised us for building good links. None of this crooked lark, or barking on about FFP: he has simply just said we have gone the right way about things and we are there on merit as many teams spend money and fail (looking at you, Middlesbrough).

Top man and fair play.

I'm just in admiration of Gary Rowett, really. He must be one of a handful of managers - if not the only one - who has commended us for good recruitment and praised us for building good links. None of this crooked lark, or barking on about FFP: he has simply just said we have gone the right way about things and we are there on merit as many teams spend money and fail (looking at you, Middlesbrough).

Top man and fair play.
Warnock praised it as well a few weeks ago

Today's been hard work. That was some birthday present though.

Top man and fair play.
Indeed.

Back home after a somewhat enjoyable trip - that was a (just) about above average performance really :icon_biggrin:

Was in the perfect position in the lower NB Quadrant for the first (crap defending by Derby as Jota pointed to where he was going & they just stood & let him go on his own), but when you have your CH playing pinpoint passes like that you know that you have a team.

In line with Neves shot - when he hit it I thought 'no way is that going to go in' - then it did. Normally when a goal is scored there is an immediate reaction - where I was there wasn't this time as there was a noticeable pause whilst we all had to decide that we had all just seen that actually happen.

Nice recognition of Colin eagerly joined in with by the Derby fans & proper acknowledgement by Rowett.

My second favourite game I have been at this season - Bristol away just tops that for the emotional response given the ending of that one.

(PS - thanks to Lycan for pointing me to Bethany's cafe for breakfast - superb friendly service (plus she is also a Wolves fan), great breakfast cooked fresh & despite adding a tip due to the earlier points still cheaper than the Moon. Unfortunately she doesn't open on Sunday's so will have to suffer the latter if staying over for a Saturday game)

Back