• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-0 Reading: The Verdict

I'm trying to lighten the mood. Cheer up.

I'm no Edwards fan but I find the constant slating of him unfair and distasteful.

There's bigger concerns than him at the moment

I didn't see him as a number ten yesterday. If anything we lined up 4-1-4-1 with Mac holding. We were quite a high lined attacking formation and there was plenty of energy from Dave and Coady who were a bit samey for my liking. They hassled and harried with the occasional link up play but they were all fucked up energy wise and too deep to do anything other than form lines across the back for much of the second half. Afobe was Isolated. It was playground stuff guessing who could keep up with play but our passing and movement as an attacking force was dreadful (As a team that is).

Kmac is getting away with murder and I believe he was dropped until price fell ill.

Been one of most consistent and better players I thought. Didn't move the ball quickly enough yesterday but then again when you've got that lot in front of you it's not easy. Edwards and Coady were uncreatively bland and pointless yesterday. He looked knackered yesterday late on. We need him for Monday.

Been one of most consistent and better players I thought. Didn't move the ball quickly enough yesterday but then again when you've got that lot in front of you it's not easy. Edwards and Coady were uncreatively bland and pointless yesterday. He looked knackered yesterday late on. We need him for Monday.

McD made a couple of cracking tackles in the second half to stop Reading breaking away too..

I can have an opinion, without the need to slag a Wolves player off. I didn't mention or infer that I knew better than a profesional league manager.
That is quite different.

Yes you did. If you think it a pivotal moment you infer the decision is wrong. As Jackett has taken responsibility for Stearman's departure you are saying he, a professional league manager, was wrong.

Absolutely terrible match. 3 points but I did not cheer the goal or the final whistle as all it does is paper over massive cracks and buys KJ more time . If it was a win that signalled a change in our fortunes then we would be happy but we know that we occasionally fluke these wins and then they're followed by more dross.

How Reading didn't score at least 3 I'll never know. They were poor too but also unlucky, hit the woodwork 2 or 3 times. Had we been playing Derby or Middlesbrough the score would have been embarrassing.

Jackett's team selections continue to baffle. He dropped Edwards for one game to appease the masses but soon brings him back, continues to pick Henry over Byrne who always looks a tidy performer to me each time I see him play and the defense is akin to Keystone Cops. Also the tactic of playing one up top at home every game and ineffective substitutions, he is too blame. The ownership situation does not force him to do these things.

I'm trying to lighten the mood. Cheer up.

I'm no Edwards fan but I find the constant slating of him unfair and distasteful.

There's bigger concerns than him at the moment

I have to say mate, I do see you as Edwards biggest fan. I know you think others are more at fault, but do you think he should be in the side? What do you think he adds to the team?

Absolutely terrible match. 3 points but I did not cheer the goal or the final whistle as all it does is paper over massive cracks and buys KJ more time . If it was a win that signalled a change in our fortunes then we would be happy but we know that we occasionally fluke these wins and then they're followed by more dross.

How Reading didn't score at least 3 I'll never know. They were poor too but also unlucky, hit the woodwork 2 or 3 times. Had we been playing Derby or Middlesbrough the score would have been embarrassing.

Jackett's team selections continue to baffle. He dropped Edwards for one game to appease the masses but soon brings him back, continues to pick Henry over Byrne who always looks a tidy performer to me each time I see him play and the defense is akin to Keystone Cops. Also the tactic of playing one up top at home every game and ineffective substitutions, he is too blame. The ownership situation does not force him to do these things.

Without Edwards last week we conceded 4. That went well!

Henry scored the winner last night.

Not the issue

I have to say mate, I do see you as Edwards biggest fan. I know you think others are more at fault, but do you think he should be in the side? What do you think he adds to the team?

I probably dislike him the least [emoji23][emoji23][emoji106]

Ideally no he shouldn't, but then I wouldn't play most of them given the chance.
He presses and harrasses. Has some decent touches. I'm not trying to make him more than he is but similarly I don't see how he's constantly the whipping boy, similarly Henry

Henry and Edwards exactly are the issue. They have been abominable for weeks.

I think Edwards would get more leeway if he played in prices position - he's obviously not as good as price but you can get away with running around a lot there as it will come off more. He's a diabolical number ten, and whilst it's not his fault he's played there, him playing there is our biggest issue in my view. He means we can't break on teams, or open them up when we have pressure as teams with a technical number ten do.

I like James Henry, but he's out of form and Byrne should be in instead.

[/B]

Did they $#@!, nostalgia tinted spectacles there, Berry in his day got as much stick as Edwards etc do now, plus with a good dose of racisim thrown in for good measure

He did get racial abuse, when he made a mistake, that bit is true. Most black players recieved racial abuse at that time.
He recieved fans player of the year in 1979, so he didn't recieve so much stick for his lack of percieved football ability as certain Wolves players do now, even before they have kicked a ball.

Yes you did. If you think it a pivotal moment you infer the decision is wrong. As Jackett has taken responsibility for Stearman's departure you are saying he, a professional league manager, was wrong.

I think the decision was wrong, because DB was injured and it has been shown that we were short of experience in CD. It was the timing of the decision and buying another player, in a position we were not so weak in, which was ludicrous. At the time the general public did not know Morgan was not going to invest in the club for promotion, but we do now.
I don't believe Kenny made the decision and believe he tried to take the heat from CO and recruiting team. It is not the first time he has lied, but I understand why he did it.

We only played three league games between Stearman leaving and Batth coming back (W1 D1 L1), it really wasn't a big issue.

Both pairs of players are an issue. So we can't score and can't defend. Batth get away with a hell of a lot just because he is the home town boy.

Massively gets away with a lot because he is a home town boy and the same goes for Ikeme. Had Martinez nearly dropped one into the net like Carl did yesterday no way would the crowd have been chanting his name.

There's more than the sets of players that are the issue though, just our general tactics are a massive issue. We are poor on the ball and don't support those on it which means we give it to the other team a lot(Batth hoofing it) and then we don't get back in to shape quick enough or chase the ball when we shouldn't and leave so many spaces.

I am now completely baffled by this thread. We cannot even suggest that players who are not in form or are performing badly week-in week-out should be dropped? Yes, such a conclusion can often be a matter of opinion, but isn't that the whole point? Is the applied logic really saying if we aren't earning a living from our opinions, then we shouldn't have one? Applying this train of thought elsewhere, if we think something our Government is doing is wrong, then you can't point this out as they were elected and therefore we have to abide by their missives?

Regret to say that is one thing I am NEVER going to do.

Edwards is top of the pile for criticism. The line of his defenders seems to be (and any such line is to my eyes cloaked in fog) that he cannot possibly be as bad as some of us think, as manager after manager after manager keep picking him. Let's face it, the only time he seems to get any sort of layoff is when he is injured.

But I have one question which I hope Edwards followers could answer. Can someone explain why he aimlessly points his hand here, there and everywhere, especially obvious yesterday, for the benefit of none of his own players? No-one seems to pay any notice to him doing this, so what's the point of doing it? Is it to confuse the opposition, as none of his team-mates run to where he is pointing? It appears that if you look up the word "Redundant" in the Edwards Dictionary, it says "see Redundant"!

As I said elsewhere, we are two or three players away from having a winning team/squad. Whether you see the season turning around for us hinges entirely on if you believe we currently have a manager who, if given the right re-enforcements, will be able to apply tactics, motivation and structure to the team, which will see a big upturn in our fortunes.

And, of course, I would rather be proven wrong and for us to push for a play-off place this season than, *gasp*, fall through the trap door into League One.

Again.

And that's why I either go to, watch, or listen to EVERY game; I want KJ to prove me and others wrong, despite the mounting evidence of his previous third-season histories (Swansea, Millwall) combined with the "rabbit in headlights" expression which he adopts whenever we concede a goal...

I think the decision was wrong, because DB was injured and it has been shown that we were short of experience in CD. It was the timing of the decision and buying another player, in a position we were not so weak in, which was ludicrous. At the time the general public did not know Morgan was not going to invest in the club for promotion, but we do now.
I don't believe Kenny made the decision and believe he tried to take the heat from CO and recruiting team. It is not the first time he has lied, but I understand why he did it.

You don't know that so are just framing a reality to make your opinion have some worth. I think you should take a moment to consider the absurdity of your comments over the last few hours.

There's more than the sets of players that are the issue though, just our general tactics are a massive issue. We are poor on the ball and don't support those on it which means we give it to the other team a lot(Batth hoofing it) and then we don't get back in to shape quick enough or chase the ball when we shouldn't and leave so many spaces.

Added to which, our ball retention when we're under pressure is appalling, this is in large part down to Edwards as well. Either he's 30 yards away from Afobe when he holds the ball up, offering no support when that should be one of his main jobs, so we lose it, or we pass it to him and he loses it on his own with his crap touch and/or inability to hold on to the ball, beat anyone, pass the ball etc.

I fail to see the correlation between him missing out vs Sheff Wed and us conceding four up there, that really is clutching at straws.

Still haven't heard any defence of him having no shots on goal in a home game since October despite starting all of them.

Back