• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-4 Leicester: Verdict Thread

What I can't figure out is that he seems to think we're still playing five at the back. You can't have a CB step into the spot Matheus is vacating and leave Kilman with all that space to cover by himself.
No he’s got that as a lobsided 4231. Bueno providing the width on the left with Podence coming inside. Think the arrow from Kilman is for the pass to go there, Nunes to then turn and go. It doesn’t work.

So Johnny was right all along on it coming from on high and so were loads of others on Lage being a patsy
It’s been obvious this might have been happening for a while with this stupid horseshoe formation and also the Donk/Nunes inside right position/run but to see it so blatantly laid out is an embarrassment.

Why the fuck is Sellars dictating/shaping first team tactics at all? Joke club.

It’s been obvious this might have been happening for a while with this stupid horseshoe formation and also the Donk/Nunes inside right position/run but to see it so blatantly laid out is an embarrassment.

Why the fuck is Sellars dictating/shaping first team tactics at all? Joke club.
The worst thing is that this was happening under both Nuno and Bruno and it definitely is happening now. Nunes looks pissed off. Imagine signing one of the most sort after 8’s/deep lying playmakers in world football and playing him in this role.

The worst thing is that this was happening under both Nuno and Bruno and it definitely is happening now. Nunes looks pissed off. Imagine signing one of the most sort after 8’s/deep lying playmakers in world football and playing him in this role.
The bit that doesn't make sense is why spend that money on a Mendes player, one that needed a hell of a lot of convincing/cajoling and then give that power to Sellars? It's such disconnected thinking.

The bit that doesn't make sense is why spend that money on a Mendes player, one that needed a hell of a lot of convincing/cajoling and then give that power to Sellars? It's such disconnected thinking.
It’s nonsensical. I don’t understand it. The fans that understand anything to do with tactics can see it yet Sellars thinks it works and those above him seem to like him, not sure why.

Kilman and Collins. I'm sure both would benefit from an experienced head alongside them, but Lage didn't like experienced CHs so we are where we are.
I don’t think Lage had much say in it. I don’t know what went on with Coady but he wanted Saiss to stay. Saiss confirms in the podcast it was Shi who fucked him off and insinuates that Bruno wasn’t getting the players he wanted.

Not that I’m letting Lage off here. He should have gone in the summer.

Deja vu, starting to look too much like the Mick McCarthy, clipboard Connor debacle to me in every sense.

What I don’t get is after Sellars got snapped last home game, you’d have thought he might have decided not to sit in the same seat and do exactly the same again.

Anyways, the players won’t give a fuck this evening, they’re all out at Podence’s birthday party.

whilst blind panic isn’t a good reaction to what we’re seeing I’m now reassessing who I wouldn’t take as manager.

Had booked for this (hotel et al) but had a bad reaction to yesterdays covid booster & flu jabs (plus had torrential rain & a thunderstorm at 7.15am)

Didn't come & lost a bit of cash, but sounds like I got off lightly

If the owners don't do something now (or find a patsy to sell it off to before we go down) then it will be too late.

Can’t help but think Sellars is getting more stick than Shi/Fosun as his name fits into the songs easier. As loud as it was, times have changed. We all come home and rant on social media instead of trying to storm the Billy Wright reception after the match.

For all the huffing and puffing, and yes we had some reasonable moments, Leicester only had to turn up today. They weren’t brilliant themselves but a thunderbastard and a couple of sloppy defensive errors and we’re on the end of a hammering at home. Shocking!
Jonny is struggling at the moment, and half the time he doesn’t know whether to stick or twist, so as soon as he gave the free kick away that led to the first, the team collectively decided to switch off, and we never recovered.
We are totally devoid of confidence, leadership and a backbone to fight as individuals and as a team. Frankly, I think many have given up already.
From all that talent acquired we’ve managed to turn a silk purse into a sows ear so Manager needed ASAP…but someone who at least has a modicum of an idea how to defend.
Only minor positive, we seem to have found a gem in Bueno

Last edited:
I'd call it shambolic but it wasn't that good.

Every pair of eyes except those on the bench and press box could see Jonny was having an absolute nightmare. The first goal started with him getting caught with an amateur touch and control and the second they came in off his side and it was breathtakingly easy for them to play the simplest of give and go's.

That he somehow stayed on the pitch for 65 minutes is beyond me because it wasn't just a lapse, he was ridiculously poor all game.

Costa can give you 20-30 minutes. He's finished as a starter. It's actually a shame because his heart is in it, he's demanding better from his team and vocal on the pitch, Lord knows we need that but his legs just don't have it in them.

I'm starting to worry quite a bit about Sa. He's been done really easily by Barnes for the second and it was a powerful shot from Maddison but I still think he could do better at his near post. Thats without adding him nearly gifting Leicester a goal too.

Other observations/bemusements/grievances

We started brightly enough but when they scored you saw any confidence drain out of them. There's a lack of character in this squad. Traore was threatening early on but he started to shrink as soon as he miscontrolled a crossfield pass out of play. Their confidence is so fragile.

Kilman carrying the ball into midfield and then passing it backwards. It's literally like the players have been told to play more aggressively asked how and the powers that be have said 'I dunno, figure it out!"

Credit to the four players who fronted up at the end of the game. Bueno and Campbell putting several more senior players to shame. Collins looked genuinely gutted, and Neves.

Sellars position is surely untenable with the latest pictures, fans will start to realise he's been pulling the strings/undermining the coaches for years. Today has was extremely mild compared to how it will be the longer he stays.

The worst thing is, I don't think this kick-starts Leicesters season, much like Palace in the week it didn't take much for them to beat us in the end but in their next game against proper opposition with a structure on and off the field they suddenly found it a bit harder.

Not enough football brains working close to Jeff and the one that is has proved high levels of incompetence.
We’re badly run club in a football, PR & Commercial sense.
Club of our size it’s asking for eventual relegation, wheels in motion were set in May 2021.
Since then poor transfer windows, arrogance and complacency have left us facing what I think will be certain relegation.
Not like it was a possibility loads of us warned at the end of last season that we were sleep walking to a disaster.

Much like on Tuesday, we looked ok for a lot of the first half. Unlike Tuesday, we were losing, not winning. As ever, if we go behind, forget it.

Jonny shouldn't have lasted 25 minutes, Kilman was awful, Collins not much better, Sa made 0 saves and was abysmal on the third, that midfield as a unit doesn't work, Nunes was terrible regardless of whether he's out of position or not, Adama and Podence are what we know we are, Costa should be at The Grand next month because he's nothing more than a pantomime act. Guedes so shit we didn't even bring him on.

We look awful. Top to bottom. Why did they back themselves into a corner with Davis, we can't carry on like this? Why did they keep Lage, which has totally wrecked the season before we kicked off? Why is Sellars making tactical calls, appoint him as caretaker if you want, don't have him hiding away with his crappy whiteboard.

How to throw five years of good work in the bin inside 18 months. I don't see a way out right now, we're going down.

Let him have it, he was ridiculed and dismissed years ago for being so anti-mendes.

Everything's come home to roost now and we deserve every bit of it.

Not really a Mendes type issue though. Teams fall apart when they stop spending and he helps sell off their assets, we are still spending.

Back