• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Winter Improvement Thread (aka Winter Squad Weakening Thread and TWF Suicide Watch)

As much as factors beyond mere spending power are important, the correlation between wage bill and league position is extremely strong in English football, especially in the Championship. (Transfer spend, not so much, though.)

He did. And not long after that was said, the club was put up for sale. So circumstances were somewhat different.

The whole 'club is always lying to us' BS pisses me off TBH. There's plenty to accuse them of, and I doubt they know what they're doing half the time, but the situation now is wholly different to what it was then - is that not painfully obvious?

Thank you and yes it is obvious things are different. However, it is the people who are always lying to us, that choose the new managers. My point is, with the shambles that have been employed over the last 4 years, do you trust them to employ a decent manager in the future?

My point would be he wasn't lying at the time he said it. However circumstances changed and so it no longer was the case.

Their turnover is £10m, and wages £20m. I'd imagine made Bournemouth made a loss upwards of £15m last year. I'd say that is a significant investment.

I have no doubt that the owner did invest heavily but in comparison to other clubs in the division the spending is no different, particularly as Wolves, Derby and Norwich turnover would be substantially greater. The recruitment and management is however the biggest difference in this case.

Norwich proved this by changing to Alex Neil when Neil Adams was floundering and the change with the same players made the decisive difference.

Let's say he isn't good enough. Who employed him, Saunders, Sol and TC? Who promoted Thelwell to be head of recruitment and development? Who broke the promises about Sako, Afobe and many more broken promises?

At the time Jackett was a sensible option in Lg1 and Moxey's decision was vindicated with promotion. Solbakken was clearly a mistake but at least they tried something different and they made a decision to get rid which again was correct. The fact Morgan employed a buffoon rather than a genuine manager is clearly his downfall, you can't really blame Moxey for that.

When you have answered that, do you trust the same people to employ a decent manager and give him the required investment and support to help us get promoted?

I am no defender of Moxey or Morgan and the fact the latter is no longer involved in decisions is a good thing in my opinion. I think Moxey has been at Wolves 3 years too long and that is well documented. I do not trust him to employ a manager capable of taking us forward. The resignation of Moxey can't come soon enough as a new CEO may invigorate Morgan again or find a new buyer quicker. A new CEO with a good plan may also employ the correct people Wolves need to get out of this current malaise. That is for Morgan to do now as Moxey has clearly run his race.

Thank you and yes it is obvious things are different. However, it is the people who are always lying to us, that choose the new managers. My point is, with the shambles that have been employed over the last 4 years, do you trust them to employ a decent manager in the future?

Not massively, no. Although they did redeem themselves slightly by appointing Jackett when they did who was the perfect fit for the state we were in at the time, regardless of what some currently think of him.

So much depends on the current state of play regarding the sale - targets both long and short term, the pull of the club for prospective managers, transfer budgets/limitations, playing ethos, etc etc etc.

OK I'd forgotten about that statement THM.

Interesting article by Tim II in the Guess and Stir today. Not much we didn't know (except Kermogant) but at least he's making the right noises.

Interesting article by Tim II in the Guess and Stir today. Not much we didn't know (except Kermogant) but at least he's making the right noises.

Yeah I think it's a decent article. Except this bit:

After signing Mason, if Jackett had said Wolves were happy with their lot, that Mason, Le Fondre, Sigurdarson, Zyro and Enobakhare would be their strikers for the rest of the season, that Wolves may try to bring someone in on loan, but that they'd still bought well in this window and wouldn't break the bank to sign a player for the sake of it, that buying Afobe's direct replacement was of huge importance and they wouldn't sign the wrong player at the right time...it would have been easier to stomach.

The fans would have gone apeshit if this was the official line yesterday. And it probably will be later today. I agree with the sentiment FWIW but I'm in a minority if social media is anything to go by.

It's an awful piece of journalism - he's just mirroring the doom and gloom on Social media but he's not really saying anything. The comments on social media about this that and the other and all the ego warriors with their little tit-bits make it all the more hilarious ...

That was a pleasantly good read no hyperbole or sensationalism just a lot of common sense and I'll be honest I was surprised we brought 3 players in under our current predicament.

I have no doubt that the owner did invest heavily but in comparison to other clubs in the division the spending is no different, particularly as Wolves, Derby and Norwich turnover would be substantially greater. The recruitment and management is however the biggest difference in this case.

Norwich proved this by changing to Alex Neil when Neil Adams was floundering and the change with the same players made the decisive difference.

At the time Jackett was a sensible option in Lg1 and Moxey's decision was vindicated with promotion. Solbakken was clearly a mistake but at least they tried something different and they made a decision to get rid which again was correct. The fact Morgan employed a buffoon rather than a genuine manager is clearly his downfall, you can't really blame Moxey for that.

I am no defender of Moxey or Morgan and the fact the latter is no longer involved in decisions is a good thing in my opinion. I think Moxey has been at Wolves 3 years too long and that is well documented. I do not trust him to employ a manager capable of taking us forward. The resignation of Moxey can't come soon enough as a new CEO may invigorate Morgan again or find a new buyer quicker. A new CEO with a good plan may also employ the correct people Wolves need to get out of this current malaise. That is for Morgan to do now as Moxey has clearly run his race.

Decent post.

Moxey (As CEO) is accountable. If he cannot orchestrate the footballing operation (which includes the hire and fire of managers) he should be relieved of his duties. There have been horrible mistakes and at best we are rank amateur despite fortunes being thrown at the infrastructure. Some of the extended contracts of recent years are very questionable. The jury is still out on the academy but the recruitment and attempts to develop a competitive first team have been a dismal failure. Morgan still has his blinkers on. The club will start running at a loss next season.

From Sky Sports:
A proposed deadline day switch to Wolves for Bologna forward Robert Acquafresca fell through after his wife decided against the move, according to Corriere Dello Sport.

Bologna were reportedly keen to offload the striker who is the club's third highest earner, and were set to let him leave for a nominal fee.

However, despite the player agreeing to the move, it hit a snag when, as the clubs were in the process of exchanging paperwork, Acquafresca made a call to his wife who told him not to accept the offer.

And no, I didn't just make that up.

Outrageous. Doesn't she know how beautiful the West Midlands is at this time of year.

Never understood this. It's not like he's going to live in Heath town or Low Hill.

Never understood this. It's not like he's going to live in Heath town or Low Hill.

But the whole area is still shit....

Would I rather live in Surrey or Sutton Coldfield (obviously if I had no family or other attraction to one or other)

Back