• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Will we be in 4th by the end of December?

And boy are we glad you joined.

I am so with you. In this league its so tight from 5th to 11th a bad fortnight drops you 6 places potentially . we have only won 5 of our 15 games. Whilst we are there on merit as we are resilient and tough to beat we have still plenty of room to improve. Top five teams win more than 12 or 13 games a season which is what we are heading for on current form. Even Arsenal will win more than that! That's where 3 points for a win helps. Take three points off bogey Brighton and end that blue stripe phobia with them and Huddersfield is the first objective!

Hang on...

12 or 13 wins is where we are heading on current form.

followed by

Even Arsenal will get more than that.

Doesn't compute. Arsenal on current form are on for 10 wins.

So you can't conflate our "current form" with what you think they will do over a season taking their usual performances rather than their current form into account. It isn't a fair comparison.

Plus if you want to look at current form, perhaps let's look at the last ten games. Just over quarter of a season. 5 wins. So current form suggests 18-19 wins is on. It's amazing what you can do by picking where the comparison is made.

I am so with you. In this league its so tight from 5th to 11th a bad fortnight drops you 6 places potentially . we have only won 5 of our 15 games. Whilst we are there on merit as we are resilient and tough to beat we have still plenty of room to improve. Top five teams win more than 12 or 13 games a season which is what we are heading for on current form. Even Arsenal will win more than that! That's where 3 points for a win helps.

We're projected to get 58pts currently which would be a top 6/7 finish. I think everybody would take that right now and even allows for another bad run. Our current form (last 6 games) puts us at 69pts.

If we're 5th on merit now why wouldn't we be there on merit at the end of the season?

I am so with you. In this league its so tight from 5th to 11th a bad fortnight drops you 6 places potentially . we have only won 5 of our 15 games. Whilst we are there on merit as we are resilient and tough to beat we have still plenty of room to improve. Top five teams win more than 12 or 13 games a season which is what we are heading for on current form. Even Arsenal will win more than that! That's where 3 points for a win helps. Take three points off bogey Brighton and end that blue stripe phobia with them and Huddersfield is the first objective!

Hang on...

12 or 13 wins is where we are heading on current form.

followed by

Even Arsenal will get more than that.

Doesn't compute. Arsenal on current form are on for 10 wins.

So you can't conflate our "current form" with what you think they will do over a season taking their usual performances rather than their current form into account. It isn't a fair comparison.

Plus if you want to look at current form, perhaps let's look at the last ten games. Just over quarter of a season. 5 wins. So current form suggests 18-19 wins is on. It's amazing what you can do by picking where the comparison is made.

I am so with you. In this league its so tight from 5th to 11th a bad fortnight drops you 6 places potentially . we have only won 5 of our 15 games. Whilst we are there on merit as we are resilient and tough to beat we have still plenty of room to improve. Top five teams win more than 12 or 13 games a season which is what we are heading for on current form. Even Arsenal will win more than that! That's where 3 points for a win helps.

We're projected to get 58pts currently which would be a top 6/7 finish. I think everybody would take that right now and even allows for another bad run. Our current form (last 6 games) puts us at 69pts.

If we're 5th on merit now why wouldn't we be there on merit at the end of the season?

Im all for math and statistics but its way too early to call anything.
Manu, spurs, arsenal and everton will pick up form. Sheffield and palace will drop off. Were a third of the season in, enjoy the ride

We will probably pick up a bit more form as well. Plenty of our draws could have been wins with a bit of luck. Not that many were points we got away with, bar Burnley I reckon.

What I love is the fact that ONLY Liverpool have lost fewer games than us. With Leicester on the same number of defeats. That is remarkable. We are bloody tough to beat.

Im all for math and statistics but its way too early to call anything.
Manu, spurs, arsenal and everton will pick up form. Sheffield and palace will drop off. Were a third of the season in, enjoy the ride

Yeah, ignore statistics but go on your hunch based on how big the club is. I'm so glad you're still here.

Today I'll mostly be supporting Burnley, Watford and Manchester City

Yeah, ignore statistics but go on your hunch based on how big the club is. I'm so glad you're still here.
If statistics could be accurately used in football, every mathematician would be a fucking millionaire through betting wouldn't they?
Chelsea just got the transfer ban lifted, do you think they're gonna be sitting on their ass january? you think manu/spurs/arsenal owners will be happy with being outside the top6?

If statistics could be accurately used in football, every mathematician would be a fucking millionaire through betting wouldn't they?
Chelsea just got the transfer ban lifted, do you think they're gonna be sitting on their ass january? you think manu/spurs/arsenal owners will be happy with being outside the top6?

Again you are ignoring the league table in front of you and the results and performances we've put in this season. Why would you think we are going to be worse in the second half of the season, given we will be getting players in too?

You're just trying to assert your opinion with nothing to back it up, again.

Our last game of the season is......Chelsea away - that could be the decider!

Because 58 points is highly unlikely to get you 5th place. That is my point. In the 23 years of the premier league with 38 games only once has a team got fifth with winning 13 games and that was Newcastle with 56 points.
The list of fifth places from last year is
Arsenal 75
Arsenal 70
Chelsea 70
Man u 66
Spurs 64
Everton 72
Sous 72
Newcastle 65
Spurs 62
Man city 67
Everton 63
Everton 65
Spurs 60
Spurs 65
Liverpool 58
Newcastle 56 13 wins
Liverpool 64
Leeds 66
Ipswich 66
Chelsea 65
West Ham 57
Leeds 59
Villa 61

The thread is could we get fourth. To summarise again. No.
If we continue to get 58 points will that give us 5th? History shows probably not.
To get over 60 points and have a shot at fifth,cwith the size of our squad and Europe would be an incredible achievement. But its against the odds in my view. That's in no way negative, just being realistic.

Stock up in January, win the Europa Cup and we'll be Champions League next season. You can get 20's on us winning it but we're the sixth shortest odds.

Because 58 points is highly unlikely to get you 5th place. That is my point. In the 23 years of the premier league with 38 games only once has a team got fifth with winning 13 games and that was Newcastle with 56 points.
The list of fifth places from last year is
Arsenal 75
Arsenal 70
Chelsea 70
Man u 66
Spurs 64
Everton 72
Sous 72
Newcastle 65
Spurs 62
Man city 67
Everton 63
Everton 65
Spurs 60
Spurs 65
Liverpool 58
Newcastle 56 13 wins
Liverpool 64
Leeds 66
Ipswich 66
Chelsea 65
West Ham 57
Leeds 59
Villa 61

The thread is could we get fourth. To summarise again. No.
If we continue to get 58 points will that give us 5th? History shows probably not.
To get over 60 points and have a shot at fifth,cwith the size of our squad and Europe would be an incredible achievement. But its against the odds in my view. That's in no way negative, just being realistic.

This season is totally different.

Why, you ask?

Because we have three sides (arguably four) who are miles past the rest. And the big boys outside that top four are fucking shit.

IF you think that Spurs Manchester United and Arsenal are going to fly from 4 or 5 wins, why the fuck shouldn't Wolves from at least the same, especially as we lose a hell of a lot less?

Spurs are heading in the right direction again and have still to play us. If we finish above all Spurs Man United and Arsenal this season I will be amazed!. Last year at this time I was the only one to offer a bet on us finishing 7th and getting Europe. We may finish above Arsenal as they really are awful. I would bite your hand off with 7th now.

Balls

I won a curry off Dan betting that we would get into Europe.

Back