• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

What are you currently listening to....

Sorry, not dissing you musical tastes by any means, what im trying to say is there are many, many guitarists out there that go unnoticed by the regular populous because they are not in vogue or mainstream or readily accessible, Take Paco de Lucia, that I mentioned earlier, this is him 40 odd years ago, I know the songs sounds corny, but stick with it because at about 1min 12 he accelerates up to thrash metal speed on a nylon strung acoustic !

I like Django Reinhardt but that's a completely different kettle of fish to modern music. George Formby was a superbly underrated technical player but most people know him as a cheeky entertainer. I like Justin King who does all sorts of weird slap/tap acoustic stuff.

My point is I'm not trying to say Lindsey Buckingham's the greatest guitar player ever, just that he's able to combine songwriting with technical ability and fuse them into something greater than the sum of the two. Few people can do that no matter how talented a player they are.

Paco de Lucia btw, he's just playing fast flamenco to my ears. The fingerpicking is impressive but the music does nothing for me.

I like Django Reinhardt but that's a completely different kettle of fish to modern music. George Formby was a superbly underrated technical player but most people know him as a cheeky entertainer. I like Justin King who does all sorts of weird slap/tap acoustic stuff.

My point is I'm not trying to say Lindsey Buckingham's the greatest guitar player ever, just that he's able to combine songwriting with technical ability and fuse them into something greater than the sum of the two. Few people can do that no matter how talented a player they are.

Oh yeh, I do agree, I like nothing more than a popular accepted band that you know are technically adept for example The Tubes, It Bites and more recently Muse all are quite extraodinary musicians, even McFly can actually play very well :)
I think the head of the George Formby appreciation society is Brian May #uselessfact

I really like stuff like Tommy Emmanuel who shreds it up blues/boogie style on acoustic as well:

Back to Fleetwood Mac - I recorded the Classic Albums programme a few nights ago as Rumours was featured - just watched it. I had absolutely no idea that both couples in the band broke up as they were recording it, and Mick Fleetwood's wife had an affair with his best friend at the same time!!

Absolutely fucked up situation - but it made for a cracking album.

I had absolutely no idea that both couples in the band broke up as they were recording it, and Mick Fleetwood's wife had an affair with his best friend at the same time!!

You have to stop listening to rumours. :)

Yeah I've seen that doc before. They were all pretty much at each other's throats! Christing McVie was having an affair with one of the stage crew (I think) which spawned the song You Make Loving Fun which is a real kick in the teeth to John lyrically. Stevie still resents one of the lyrics in Go Your Own Way that Lindsey wrote about her too.

I have no idea how they carried on and played those songs together as a band, knowing most of them were about each other.

Yeah I've seen that doc before. They were all pretty much at each other's throats! Christing McVie was having an affair with one of the stage crew (I think) which spawned the song You Make Loving Fun which is a real kick in the teeth to John lyrically. Stevie still resents one of the lyrics in Go Your Own Way that Lindsey wrote about her too.

I have no idea how they carried on and played those songs together as a band, knowing most of them were about each other.

It probably spurred them on to write the next song.

"Oh yeah? About me is it, you misogynistic bastard? Get a load of this track....."

I found it fascinating that although they must have been so uncomfortable cooped up in a studio for 15-16 hours a day, they still had a massive amount of respect for one another as musicians and song writers. Very professional, in fact.

Just. Wow.....This is why Lindsey Buckingham is in my top 3 guitarists of all time:

It makes me intensely sad that I'll never, EVER be able to play guitar like that. Machin - How can you, a fellow guitar player, not like that?

Thats one of my party pieces! Took me ages to learn, its a fooking killer on the fingers, and I play it with a capo on the 4th fret as he does live, but it sounds so good when you nail it. I improvise the solo bit as its really hard to keep going with the counter-rhythms on the lower strings.

After being reminded about how great they are, I had to listen to Fleetwood Mac this morning on the way to work. Had to put the Greatest Hits on because it has this song on it:

How was that song left off Rumours?

If it is possible to be in love with a voice then hers is the one...makes my heart go a flutter.

Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham had a stormy relationship from the very start, and despite being complete opposites as people, when they got together musically they were perfect for each other.Listen to "Landslide", which was wrote by Stevie. Not their best known song, but one that sums up the difficult relationships within the band.

Some good tracks on Stevie's solo albums too. I've got 'Belladonna' and 'Rock a Little'.
Timespace is a good compilation of her solo stuff. 'Stop Draggin' My Heart Around' with Tom Petty is a great song.

Agreed Arklo, but I think that Stevie was at her best when with Fleetwood Mac.

And of course you can't beat a bit of Edge Of Seventeen now and again too.

Frank - Landslide is very well known. Probably more in America than over here. Beautiful song.

I went to my mum and dads house and added some Fleetwood Mac albums to my iPod. I've heard most of them before, but never had them in my collection.

Listened to The Dance on the way into work. Excellent album.

Yep that's true Frank and I probably would never have bought any Stevie Nicks solo albums if it hadn't been for 'Rumours'.
Bands are 'great' because they are the sum of their parts. I can't think of many (that I like) who have been better solo than they were as part of a band. Paul Weller perhaps.

I'm a massive James fan, & that song always gets a good reception live, but for me it is one of their poorest.

listening to Transatlantic stranger in your soul at full blast then off to the boozer to have a few

Back