• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

V.A.R. - Good for Purpose??

Solves nothing at all.

Bin the fucking armpit dots. If you need them, it's not offside.

At least with a 10cm margin it should be more noticeably offside to the naked eye rather than completely imperceptible.

Ludicrous idea. A player is then offside you are just working out by how far, taking the same amount of time and then letting the goal stand once you've proved he was off in the first place.

As many of us have said, have a look while the players are going back to the half way line, no lines, no measuring equipment, if to the naked eye it's not obviously wrong let it go.

As many of us have said, have a look while the players are going back to the half way line, no lines, no measuring equipment, if to the naked eye it's not obviously wrong let it go.

and that is the way the IFAB expect it to be done

The lines presumes the system is accurate, it’s not. Cameras are not good enough, frame rate is far too slow - 10cm margin actually makes some sense for that pov

Depends, if it is Adama running through you need a lot more than 10cm to remove the frame rate issue.

Do it on a visual only. The lines are an absolute abortion. Quick visual check by Stockley. Is it obviously wrong? No? Linesman / referee's call. That's all that is needed.

Unfortunately Mike Riley doesn't see it that way, the utter buffoon.

20cm using my ropey maths, but that doesn’t include the speed of the ball.

Either way it’s bollocks. Only thing which might work is the Danish system posted above.

10cm means you have more chance of catching any gap with the naked eye rather than relying on lines to microscopically analyse it.

The price of VAR in the FA Cup is £18.5k+VAT with the bill paid 50/50 between sides irrespective of their league

10cm means you have more chance of catching any gap with the naked eye rather than relying on lines to microscopically analyse it.
Doesn't though does it? You are then measuring were they 9cms off, which randomly becomes on

If Adama clears something like 37cm between two frames at full pelt then 10 or 20cm means fuck all. It's a nonsense.

Yep. You're just changing where the line is, what if he's 10.1cm offside?

The Danish system seems the best to me. No lines drawn over the pitch, 25 seconds to make a call. Can't make a decision either way, stays with whatever happened originally.

It's too simple and smacks of common sense to be adopted by the idiots running the show.

It should be "Clear and obvious" the reason to go against the onfield decision, drawing lines on a screen and looking at pixels is not clear and obvious.

Video refs were meant to stop the occasional gaffe that happened but they are using it like goal line technology.

It's like they've ignored every other sports implementation of tech and just done it their own way.

It has been by far and away the worst and most confused attempt of any, if I didn't know better I'd say it was being done on purpose so bad so they get rid of it for good

It should be "Clear and obvious" the reason to go against the onfield decision, drawing lines on a screen and looking at pixels is not clear and obvious.

giphy.gif

Any part of the body onside, it's onside.

Yes it does. You're missing the point.
I'm not missing the point, it's just different to yours. My issue isn't whether someone is off by a toenail or an armpit it's that you are spending ages trying to identify whether they are or not. A 10cm rule doesn't change that it just moves the line
giphy.gif

Any part of the body onside, it's onside.
That still doesn't work. You are then just drawing the line against someone's back leg/shoulder rather than the front one. Any specific metric doesn't change the fundamental issue of having to wait 2 minutes for a decision. Anything other than a visual check doesn't fix that issue, it just moves it.

Video refs were meant to stop the occasional gaffe that happened but they are using it like goal line technology.

It's like they've ignored every other sports implementation of tech and just done it their own way.

It has been by far and away the worst and most confused attempt of any, if I didn't know better I'd say it was being done on purpose so bad so they get rid of it for good

Agree with this !
"Clear and obvious " is the main issue , let VAR have a quick look and make a decision without drawing ridiculous cm lines, advise the ref, and get on with the game !

Nuno on frustrations with VAR

“It’s a reality now, but each time it happens it upsets you. It’s upsetting and it’s an issue that it becomes harder to regain the concentration of the players because everything changes from that moment.

“It upsets you because when you see the images, there’s no clear advantages. The law is the law, of course, and I don’t want to say it’s a bad decision, but there’s no clear advantage in that situation. The body is in line, the foot stays behind.

“What I’m positive about is that full reaction of us professionally, the full reaction of the fans, but something has to be done – let the people that understand make changes to go back to the joy of celebrating goals like we used to do, because we are in danger of becoming robots and football is not about that. When the fans sing they are not happy, we are not happy.”

VAR in use on Thursday.

Uefa's referees committee chairman Roberto Rosetti said the VAR system had been successful in the Champions League this season, which paved the way for its use in the Europa.

"However, I would emphasise once more that – in compliance with its protocol – VAR is only for clear and obvious mistakes, and not for controversial situations.

https://www.expressandstar.com/spor...eague-var-to-be-in-use-for-wolves-v-espanyol/

Arsene Wenger pushing through a new offside rule and hopes to have it voted for and agreed in time for the Euros.

New rule would be "any part of your body you can score with is behind or level with the defender you are onside"

So Giroud's goal v Man Utd this week would have stood for example.

Back