• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

V.A.R. - Good for Purpose??

Just seen that disallowed Villa goal. It's getting beyond a joke now. Each decision is just making me angrier. Please make it stop!

Here's a good question.

Player goes over in the box, ref books him for simulation. VAR checks the incident and overrules the ref and awards a penalty.

What happens to the yellow card? Ref surely can't rescind it and surely VAR can't either?

Happened earlier this season, sorry can't remember who. Yellow was wiped there and then

We actually got a var overturn go for us today....unfortunately we couldn't make it pay

It's fucking right. I don't mind who said it, I just desperately hope it could be implemented that way now.

Riley won't do it though.

The PL have said that any changes must not be made until the season is over, to be fair to everyone. I think that whatever change is made must be fair to the fans.

Yes any changes have to come at the end of the season as otherwise distorts the first half - 6 months to discuss & get this to work properly

Multiple camera angles would even it out I guess.

This is why they don't use cameras for goal line decisions. That doesn't look over for me.

That angle is always going to show a gap between ball and line. If you panned around the edge of the ball would still be over the line IMO.

The cameras are calibrated. There is no error with the position of the body part. The error is the discrepancy between frames.

Ignoring that, it shouldn’t even be an issue as VAR wasn’t designed to be used forensically for offside!!

Offsides are regularly checked in rugby and they don't pause the frames to forensically review toenails and armpits. They look at the replay and use their eyes - "is he level?" "is he in front?". And they make a (heaven forbid) quick decision. Whose idea was it to draw lines over a heavily pixelated freeze frame when no one had ever complained about this type of "offside" being given?!

Offsides are regularly checked in rugby and they don't pause the frames to forensically review toenails and armpits. They look at the replay and use their eyes - "is he level?" "is he in front?". And they make a (heaven forbid) quick decision. Whose idea was it to draw lines over a heavily pixelated freeze frame when no one had ever complained about this type of "offside" being given?!

This man, who clearly after years of abuse being ref is getting his own back

13236.jpg

"Referees have been told to start using pitchside monitors in Premier League matches from this weekend when the VAR wants to change a decision on a red card.

It is understood new guidance has been given to match officials by the Professional Game Match Officials Ltd (PGMOL), the body that manages elite referees, saying they should use the ‘referee review area’ when the VAR wants to either upgrade a card to red or downgrade it to a yellow."

Back