• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

There goes Julen!

I'm aware. I guess Porto fans were on their own forum moaning that he was a cheap option and only there because he's Portuguese.
Nope! As a frequent user of a Porto forum at that time they were majority in favour of him due to the job he'd done with Leiria and as he'd worked with Bobby Robson at Porto (Robson won two league titles) and then Barca.

Last edited:
I mean, you're rowing back on it now, but you actually said GON did a better job than Lopetegui last season, and compared his imminent appointment to that of Mourinho at Porto.

'Benefit of the doubt' doesn't really work in football. You can't just put someone in an elite management position just because there's a 1% chance they might be amazing. Are you listening to yourself?

O'Neil got the job at Bournemouth because he was part of the backroom team, enabled a little continuity and minimised instability, probably got on with the players and had a base level of competence, then they fucked him off as soon as they could.

Occam's razor. Is it more likely GON is some undiscovered genius that Hobbs and Shi have spotted (they've never done this before), or is the greater likelihood that he's another unremarkable manager who will be battling relegation at small PL clubs as the absolute peak of his career and has been given the job because he's everything Lop isn't. Pleasant, mediocre, cheap, English, powerless and low maintenance.
Yes they fuck him off asap, but i have to say Tod Boehly comes to mind, as in came american owners and shot for the stars before they even studied what they were aiming at.
I think it is relevant in this case, as is the 100 million or whatever, january spending spree.

oh well, all done and dusted.
personally i don't have too much of an issue with Lop. Came in on a premise that the club now claims it can't afford and he probably felt duped, angry or both. we know there are places that will offer some managers seemingly endless funds - its a competitive world. I appreciate voicing it was not great but arguably he may have been trying to force the club's hands on transfers and given the lack of them what he said appears to be true. he likely thought - I don't need to be here. Club and he seemed to have reached an agreement he can go, involving him staying on to prepare the squad but with no further i/vs whilst they go through process for a new manager. he & his team gets whatever compensation is agreed.

an alternative would have been him & team walking, we save on compensation but then would need a caretaker/stand in team to prepare the squad with the new manager process resulting in exactly the same choice. I guess that might have been sped up an appointment a little but the disruption to the season prep would have been far worse. as Deutsch noted, we have a difficult start to the season, so the squad prep in whatever situation should be paramount.

Fosun are taking the risk we can and should get through this season with what we have. I hope they're right. Squad morale, group mentality, quality cover, injury avoidance all have parts to play and I'd prefer to be erring on the side of caution rather than taking the risk.
In addition we don't yet know what the penalty for FFP breach will be but given we are going through this strife in order to allegedly "stay within the rules" I fucking well hope it's punitive and not just a light slap on the wrist for the likes of Everton, Chelsea etc.

Methinks he wanted to go manage our Ruben somemore, and get the megabucks. Just be a matter of time before he heads thata way

I hope we dont become another watford...

Circling back to one of the things mentioned in the PTS dispatch from a leaky tent...I have a hard time believing the Cunha signing was on all on Lop.

We are meant to believe that the first thing (Cunha was a Jan 1 signing) the club let him do was splash all this money (€50M) on one player and not back him like that since?

That they didn't tell him Cunha was the only big signing until near the end of the window? Like I'm pretty sure Lop isnt that incompetent that he would miss the bit about Cunha being a loan signing so not technically signed until this window.

That we didn't get this excuse as the main reason there's no money until recently? It'd be one of the first things that should've been listed when journos were parroting the "but FFP" line initially.

That the only other times in our past we've splashed ridiculous money has been on Mendes clients or recommendations? There's an already established pattern o
by the club.

The other signings that window don't seem to be just Lop signings either, which you would think so if he was given such autonomy. We know Gomes was scouted by Hobbs, Lemina too. Dawson was linked under Lage the previous summer, Bentley most likely a Roberts' rec. Sarabia the most likely, so that would be 2/6 at best, hardly a decent sample as proof.

It feels a bit conspiracy-hat, and yeah could be wrong, but it seems like there is way more to it than just it was all Lop, because that would've been a whopper of a bad judgement call that'd easily stick out, not well after the sack and only when he's gone...

I can't help but think JL leaving before the new season was all part of the plan...

He's come in as a bit of a hatchet man, wielding his axe over some underperforming, high earning fan favourites to clear the decks leaving a new manager with a clean slate(ish) and not being resented by fans or playing staff for what's gone before.

If that is the case, I'd expect a CB signing in the coming days. Hopefully without an established CB leaving.

Back