• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Video Games Thread II - The Resurrection

Got a patch which has modded the fuck out of Pro Evo so I now have every league fully licensed and the Bundesliga added. Result.

Far Cry looks to be getting the "once-a-year" treatment with the announcement of Far Cry Primal.

Looks like you'll be playing as a cave man or something, which is at least a novel idea but will properly limit weapon options (you would think).

Star Wars: Battlefront beta starts tomorrow. The kids can put themselves to bed. Their dad will be too busy.

I downloaded Valiant Hearts - The Great War last night, as it's one of the free games on XBL this month.

It's really good - I'd never heard of it before but it has a poignant storyline and is littered with historical facts about the First World War. With lovely 2D, cartoon-like graphics, you have to solve certain puzzles to get through the levels. It's well paced and really quite charming. And absolutely full of pathos.

For free, it's well worth downloading.

I downloaded Valiant Hearts - The Great War last night, as it's one of the free games on XBL this month.

It's really good - I'd never heard of it before but it has a poignant storyline and is littered with historical facts about the First World War. With lovely 2D, cartoon-like graphics, you have to solve certain puzzles to get through the levels. It's well paced and really quite charming. And absolutely full of pathos.

For free, it's well worth downloading.

My lad downloaded it at the weekend. As someone who is interested in WW1 he was looking forward to it. The end result = deleted 20 minutes later and went back to playing the Tomb Raider game from last month.

Next month is when the Backwards Comp comes in and you get 2 x X-One Games and 2 x 360 games. Once that comes into play, Red Dead will get a run through again.

My lad downloaded it at the weekend. As someone who is interested in WW1 he was looking forward to it. The end result = deleted 20 minutes later and went back to playing the Tomb Raider game from last month.

Next month is when the Backwards Comp comes in and you get 2 x X-One Games and 2 x 360 games. Once that comes into play, Red Dead will get a run through again.

Yeah that'll mean I can play plenty of old games I couldn't bring myself to trade in.

Shame he didn't like Valiant Hearts. I'm really enjoying it, though granted the gameplay is slower than Havard Flo trying to wear in new shoes.

Star Wars Battlefront beat is queued up and waiting for me to get back from work....

David-Tennant-Overy-Excited-Gif-On-Doctor-Who.gif

Haven't got past the settings yet but must commend EA and DICE for the Colorblind Profiles and allowing the FOV to go to 110. These are very important options to make the game inclusive. Well done EA/DICE.

The presentation of the menus is slick as fuck, too.

I played a lot on the beta last night - and it really is top quality. There appears to be plenty of different game modes in the final game, but in the beta there are only 3 - one set on Tatooine which is essentially Horde in Gears of War - wave after wave of Storm Troopers (and a couple of AT-STs) trying to pick you off whilst you try to survive. Quite good fun.

The 2nd mode is a standard team deathmatch, set on a planet that I assume will feature in Episode VII. Can't remember the name off the top of my head, but the objective is to capture more escape pods than the other side. A king of the hill sort of game I suppose. Very good fun.

The 3rd is an absolute beast - the Battle of Hoth. 40 players, you're pretty much playing the battle from Empire Strikes Back. If you're in the Rebellion, you've got to destroy the 2 AT-ATs making their way slowly towards the power generators. By doing that you have to disable the uplinks to provide air support. If you're on the Empire's side, you naturally have to stop the Rebels destroying the AT-ATs. Littered all over the map are random power ups (thermal detonators, RPGs etc) but you can also find vehicle tokens, so you can jump into a TIE fighter/X Wing and take to the skies. Or you might find a AT-ST or AT-AT token, so you can have a go in one of those. Or - if you're very lucky - you might find a token that allows you to play as Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader. I managed to have a go as each of them and my god it's fun and you scythe down the enemy, force choke them, throw your light saber at them. Mwahahahaha. This is easily the best game type, and I much preferred the objectives rather than a straight deathmatch style game. The way it to-ed and fro-ed between the sides was excellent. And I didn't experience any slowdown or any glitches whatsoever.

It's superbly presented, visually stunning, sounds just like you'd expect a Star Wars game to sound and above all it's actually really exciting. I can't wait to see what other levels look like in the full game.

I'm definitely pre-ordering this.

I had a go and it does have amazing graphics - especially single player but I think it would have been so much better if it had a story! I can see it getting a bit repetitive quite quickly. I might wait until people have got bored and traded it in but doubt I would get it at full price. What are the other big releases to look out for thus Xmas?
Is it worth going from Fifa 15 to 16 or is it pretty much the same?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I had a go and it does have amazing graphics - especially single player but I think it would have been so much better if it had a story! I can see it getting a bit repetitive quite quickly. I might wait until people have got bored and traded it in but doubt I would get it at full price. What are the other big releases to look out for thus Xmas?

Definitely worth it to get FIFA 16.

I've not really been online much since I got my Xbox One. I've had enough with Call of Duty. But that franchise is a case in point - shite campaign mode, addictive multiplayer. So I've absolutely no qualms about Battlefront ditching a campaign to focus on multiplayer modes. I think it'll be very addictive. I've seen some scathing reviews of it from some people and I don't quite understand where they're coming from TBH. I thought it played really well. Dead easy to pick up but tricky enough that you'll have to play it for a good while to be any good at it. As should be the case with any game. I hope it does become addictive and isn't one of those games that becomes too repetitive too quickly. I guess time will tell.

As for FIFA - this year's game has probably the fewest number of 'improvements' over the previous one that I can recall since I started playing it back in 2009. Is it worth buying? Probably not if you had FIFA 15 but I guess so if you absolutely must have the latest squads etc. It's still very good, but it's taking the piss to put a very minute number of changes and slap a £50 price tag on it.

Differences you'll notice from FIFA 15 (mainly just the gameplay and career mode - not been online and not played FUT yet):

1. Once you lose possession, expect to run around a lot more before you win it back. Unrealistically so compared to previous versions
2. Pre-season tournaments in career mode
3. Mini games act as training sessions for your players which can improve their stats. A really good new feature which I like a lot

Not much else really.

Think I'll give Fifa a miss then, I only upgraded last time due to getting a ps4. Thinking about battlefront - I quite wanted to play it again so maybe I just played it too much yesterday. It could be quite a good game to play a bit here and there. I was amazed by the graphics!

I've not really been online much since I got my Xbox One. I've had enough with Call of Duty. But that franchise is a case in point - shite campaign mode, addictive multiplayer. So I've absolutely no qualms about Battlefront ditching a campaign to focus on multiplayer modes. I think it'll be very addictive. I've seen some scathing reviews of it from some people and I don't quite understand where they're coming from TBH. I thought it played really well. Dead easy to pick up but tricky enough that you'll have to play it for a good while to be any good at it. As should be the case with any game. I hope it does become addictive and isn't one of those games that becomes too repetitive too quickly. I guess time will tell.

As for FIFA - this year's game has probably the fewest number of 'improvements' over the previous one that I can recall since I started playing it back in 2009. Is it worth buying? Probably not if you had FIFA 15 but I guess so if you absolutely must have the latest squads etc. It's still very good, but it's taking the piss to put a very minute number of changes and slap a £50 price tag on it.

Differences you'll notice from FIFA 15 (mainly just the gameplay and career mode - not been online and not played FUT yet):

1. Once you lose possession, expect to run around a lot more before you win it back. Unrealistically so compared to previous versions
2. Pre-season tournaments in career mode
3. Mini games act as training sessions for your players which can improve their stats. A really good new feature which I like a lot

Not much else really.

To me, that sounds like a big con. If I'm paying £50 I'll buy Witcher 3 or Fallout 4.....something that will last me 4/5 years.

Just noticed that I can get all 3 uncharted games remastered to £40 I have never played it - but beard its quite good?

Just noticed that I can get all 3 uncharted games remastered to £40 I have never played it - but beard its quite good?

They're really good, lots of action, can get a bit hairy at times.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

To me, that sounds like a big con. If I'm paying £50 I'll buy Witcher 3 or Fallout 4.....something that will last me 4/5 years.

Totally different kettle of fish, totally different type of game. It's not like FIFA isn't packed with features - it's a pretty hefty game - just not different enough from the previous version.

They're really good, lots of action, can get a bit hairy at times.

The Uncharted games are absolutely superb - easily my favourite PS exclusive title. Think of Tomb Raider but better. TBH it's the only PS4 exclusive that makes me green with envy! 3 Uncharted games - remastered - for £40 is a steal. Sounds like the PS4 equivalent of the Halo Collection, which is also a bargain for so many brilliant games in 1 package.

The first Uncharted is shite. Constant respawning enemies.

Back