• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Things You Are HAPPY About Thread.

I've done leeds to Cartegena and back in a Volvo 244...

Also leeds to Blanes (Costa Brava) and back in a Mondeo...

Both trips with a couple of weeks holiday in between!!
We went to Blanes on a coach when I was 13. Never. Again. It was one of the worst journeys I’ve ever done.

As a lad we used to travel to Southern Italy and back every summer to stay with my grandparents, from Ramsgate on the hovercraft and later by ferry from Dover down through France and Swtizerland and sleeping in the car at motorway service stations and in Alpine laybys. Used to love it every year especially the joy of seeing my grandparents at the other end as I only ever saw them once a year. The journey home was so sad leaving them each year wondering if it was the last time we'd see them with them trying to load our car up with watermelons, peaches, figs, industrial size containers of Grandad's homemade vino!

Haha, that's pretty normal for our hols,xwe plan stops on route 1, 2 or 3 days. Currently at the end of a trip round Netherlands and Northern Germany, it'll end up being about 2000 miles but with 5 or 6 stops.

Glad you had a great time, we love Scotland, luckily my lad now lives in Fife so a perfect stop over on the way North.
It wasn’t so much the distance that did me, it was being stuck in that tiny car that actually lost speed on an incline! I was having to be so wary of lanes if we hit a sudden incline as I’d just be holding up the traffic and unable to move across as the slower lane was moving faster than me! On the flat or downhill I got some real speeds out of it but it was really uncomfortable as it was so small. Not to knock it, it really did us proud to be fair (I’ve put a photo of it just to give it its dues) but never again. It would have been a lovely drive in my car but it’s done now and it was an experience!

And yeah Scotland is awesome, ideally we both want to live up there at some point, although when that point is remains to be seen.

IMG_6982.jpeg

A couple of other highlights, I found a music shop and had a browse and they had a Fender Acoustasonic, I’ve wanted one for ages and they let me have a go on it for ages. Amazing guitar.

And we went to Portsoy to try the famous ice cream (it was banging to be fair) and walking around we found a shrine to Michael Gray from Peaky Blinders. It meant nothing to me as I thought it was shit but Helen loved it, we looked into it and found out that the scene where he was shot by Thomas Shelby was filmed right where we were standing. We watched it on YouTube and Helen was buzzing so I got a photo of her standing right where he pulled the trigger.

IMG_6983.jpeg

IMG_6984.jpeg

Buckie, it was a gorgeous place. We visited loads of places, Elgin, Portsoy, Spey Bay, Cromarty, Findlater Castle, Bowfiddle Rock, and loads of others. It was just beyond beautiful.
The Highlands are beautiful, love it up there. Only been to Elgin out of the places you mention but passed through most of them when travelling along Inverness-Aberdeen Northern route

The Highlands are beautiful, love it up there. Only been to Elgin out of the places you mention but passed through most of them when travelling along Inverness-Aberdeen Northern route
We caught the Caledonian Sleeper to Inverness then a train to Keith. It was the taxi from Keith to Buckie that made our minds up to hire a car and then just drive home at the end. I wanted to do Loch Ness but we just ran out of time.

We caught the Caledonian Sleeper to Inverness then a train to Keith. It was the taxi from Keith to Buckie that made our minds up to hire a car and then just drive home at the end. I wanted to do Loch Ness but we just ran out of time.
Next time :)

Brum to evia, greece, in a suzuki samurai, 4 days towing a caravan.I loved that car.
Ferry north italy to greece.
Drove 8 hours on, 3 to 4 hours off, except ferry of course.
Pain in the ass was the caravan refused to reverse when getting on ferry in italy, so had to drive on forward, detach caravan reverse it by hand with my lady, and hook back up.
Had a wee dram that night on board. 🤪

Last edited:
The Acoustasonic looks cool.

My mate recently bought one of these Lava ME guitars. Super low action, almost like an electric, and has lots of onboard effects and recording stuff.

Screenshot_2024-08-28-17-09-11-133_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

We went by coach to Spain with Siesta for a few years.
It was the only time I’ve ever done it and I hated it. The first day was OK but I just couldn’t sleep, when I did eventually doze off my head leant out into the aisle and this massive woman squeezed past after going to the toilet, battered my head with her impressively large arse and woke me up and she stank of really strong stale piss. I don’t know how I didn’t throw up. Every minute after that was hell.

Back