• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The things that I really, really like thread...

How easy is it to find details Mark? My mum doesn’t really know much about her family and has always been keen to track down her grandparents.
It can be a bit hit and miss from my experience this afternoon, I think how common the family name is and the size of where your from will have a massive impact.

Struggled a bit with my nan's family on my dad's side, was a lot of Robinson's to trawl through and even with the 4 siblings added along with their corresponding partners and corroborating documents for birthdays, deaths and marriages I've still got no suggestions for their parents. However, I found one document that gave names and dates of birth for one partner, their mother and brother and now I'm well into their family with no effort at all, it just keeps suggesting the next link in the chain for me and after reviewing a few documents it's easy to see they fit in.

My partner has made decent progress on her family but she had a load of stuff from her grandad when he passed last year and had put all together the old fashioned way and I think having a few generations in line has helped it. I just started browsing absent mindedly at first, filled in my parents and their siblings and then started doing the same for grandparents.

My sister has taken up the family tree search over the past weeks and is apparently a bit of a wizard on ancestry.co.uk. Our family has a rare surname so it's little easier, though.

Mine will be a mess once you get back to when the original clan were in Ireland. There are tons of Lavelles in Dublin alone to this day.

That's the thing. The other half of the family are 'Clarke', so she gave up before she got back to the start of the 20thC.

You should try it with Thomas and Wales involved. My mother was a Tutton, but her mother was born in Cardiff and her birth name was Thomas. Needle in a bloody haystack that would be. At least I am not Jones or Evans I suppose.

Dads side is Welsh and we've got Hughes on both sides, don't stand a chance :)

You should try it with Thomas and Wales involved. My mother was a Tutton, but her mother was born in Cardiff and her birth name was Thomas. Needle in a bloody haystack that would be. At least I am not Jones or Evans I suppose.

During a walking weekend in Snowdonia, I, along with a mate, went to Bodffordd church in Anglesey to find my grandfather’s grave - struggling to find it, he asked what Pop’s surname was - he didn’t find “Jones” especially helpful!

Just had a tree surgeon round to get rid of this giant Cherry Blossom tree, because frankly, it was a pain in my side.

Watching this guy climb up and around that thing like a monkey was very impressive. Also, it's demonstrated that if you're any good, tree surgery is soft money.

£125 for less than 30 minutes work.

Just had a tree surgeon round to get rid of this giant Cherry Blossom tree, because frankly, it was a pain in my side.

Watching this guy climb up and around that thing like a monkey was very impressive. Also, it's demonstrated that if you're any good, tree surgery is soft money.

£125 for less than 30 minutes work.

Have a sizeable corkscrew willow in the garden & there are a limited number of branches that can be stood on, but needs a yearly haircut to maintain shape & not get out of hand. Too big to try & deal with from ladders so the only way is going up into it - no way am I doing that, but the firm I use has clearly employed resting trapeze artists as roped up they swing to where they need to be to prune the excess off.

Worth every penny.

Have a sizeable corkscrew willow in the garden & there are a limited number of branches that can be stood on, but needs a yearly haircut to maintain shape & not get out of hand. Too big to try & deal with from ladders so the only way is going up into it - no way am I doing that, but the firm I use has clearly employed resting trapeze artists as roped up they swing to where they need to be to prune the excess off.

Worth every penny.
They probably just employ arborists that have been specifically trained in rope access techniques.

Back