• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Tennis Thread

Marin Cilic feigned Wimbledon injury to cover up failed drugs test its been revealed.

Marin Cilic feigned Wimbledon injury to cover up failed drugs test its been revealed.

I read it that he was allowed to feign the injury to prevent the negative press associated with the story during the Wimbledon tournament.

James Ward played a super match last night to come back from 2-1 down & 4-1 down in the 4th, to beat sam querry.
As a result, if we win the doubles this evening we'll beat the USA in the davies cup.

Fleming & Inglot playing a super game of doubles v the bryan brothers.
Pulled themselves into the 3rd set, got a break, looked like throwing it straight back, held on, & now 5-2!

Ward was excellent last night and his victory will be key.

Them two Bryan twats can celebrate as much as they want. They won't be in the next round.

Andy Murray and coach Ivan Lendl part company.

Seems Lendl wanted to more stuff on his own.
Amicable as they say.

Has Murray peaked and are his best days behind him. He does seem to lose matches where you think his big rivals wouldn't lose against that opponent. Has he done enough?

Murray down to eighth in world rankings. I cannot understand why he has dropped so low. I am no expert on tennis, but I thought he was generally accepted as being up there with Djokovic and Nadal amongst the top three players. Who are these other players who are meant to be better than the defending Wimbledon champion?

Murray down to eighth in world rankings. I cannot understand why he has dropped so low. I am no expert on tennis, but I thought he was generally accepted as being up there with Djokovic and Nadal amongst the top three players. Who are these other players who are meant to be better than the defending Wimbledon champion?

Has had injuries & not really kicked on from the Wimbledon win. I think world ranking points are accumulated from specific tournaments, so if he didn't play due to injury then he will fall down the table a bit. There are others who are coming up to challenge, but if he sorts out his injury issues no reason why he will not be back in the top 3.

Has had injuries & not really kicked on from the Wimbledon win. I think world ranking points are accumulated from specific tournaments, so if he didn't play due to injury then he will fall down the table a bit. There are others who are coming up to challenge, but if he sorts out his injury issues no reason why he will not be back in the top 3.

Yeh, as Parkin says, he's dropping because he's not been able to defend the ranking points he accumulated last year. Injuries in tennis can have a lasting effect. Just look at Federer, he has only overcome injuries properly and he's looking better than he has for a long time.

Thanks for that Gents. Though I think in Federer's case, great as he has been, he is on the decline. Murray should have a few years left at or near the top.

On another note, has there ever been a time in tennis when four players have so dominated the game?

Oh no doubt he's not the same player he was at his absolute peak, but he's vastly superior to last year.

I'd back Murray to beat all those above him in the rankings when it comes to Wimbledon barring Novak and Rafa who I think are slightly ahead again at the moment.

The ranking system just goes to show how utterly dominant and incredibly fit Federer was in his prime. How many consecutive weeks at no.1 was it?

Back