• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Tennis Thread

Wouldn't be the US Open if the scheduling wasn't fucked up.

Great win for Lleyton Hewitt, beat Juan Martin Del Potro in five sets.

Evans good run has come to an end.
However, should've boosted his rankings somewhat.
Hopefully he can use this to progress in other tournaments this year, & secure a Wimbledon place next year. Pushing into the top 100?

Murray safely through, 7-6 6-2 6-2.

Fed in big trouble against Robredo. It's sad to see him on the decline.

Federer out in straight sets. Agree with you Nando - a shadow of his former self, SO many errors tonight.

Robredo just had to wait for the error. Schoolboy stuff at times. The occasional spark of brilliance is still there, but the mesmeric consistency has vanished.

Wawrinka takes the first set against Murray 6-4. This is a tough game against an opponent in the form of his life, and very blustery conditions too.

And now 6-3 Wawrinka in the second. Oh dear.

Wawrinka has been very good here and is probably playing the best he has in his career but Murray hasn't looked totally comfortable with his own game for some reason, whether that is in his head or due to the windy conditions who knows.

Wawrinka takes it 6-4 6-3 6-2. He was pretty much flawless today, I'm not sure what Murray could have done. Just up against an opponent in top form.

A question for those more knowledgeable about tennis than me.

Is Nadal the best player of all time?

Not for me - it has to be Federer. Nadal is utterly amazing though and his form last night was unreal - one of the great comebacks considering what happened to him last year.

I'd say Nadal had a case for being in the top 5 and if it wasn't for Federer and Djokovic's dominance in recent years added to his injury problems he'd have won far more titles.

I certainly can't remember such a golden era for men's tennis - Nadal, Federer, Djokovic and Murray are all exceptional players and I was really impressed with Wawrinka during the little I saw of the US Open. Tsonga ain't half bad either!!

I'm a bit older than some of you wipper-snappers and I'd say that although this is a "golden age" with at least four players who could of been World No1 in another era don't forget about Bjorn Borg and Pete Sampras

In my lifetime i'd class McEnroe as another of the greats and he was in another tough era with the likes of Borg, Connors and Landl. I think that Federer, Djork and Nadal would have wiped the floor with Sampras as he was from an era of when the serve volley bullies ruled the roost.

Yes without a doubt in my mind. I've said it for a few years now and nothing will change my mind, a fully fit Nadal is the best player i've seen and i doubt i'll ever see anyone better.

Back