• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Tennis Thread

Not being allowed to wear colourful trainers. Orange/Red/green has better grip than white #FACKT

Oddly enough the grips Fed had on the bottom of his shoes were an advantage. The manufacturers have dropped a bollock this year with their materials and shoes. It happens from time to time, look at the abortion of blades on football boots for proof.

Federer can have no complaints (and to be fair, he didn't). He was simply outplayed by a player having the game of his life.

Oh I agree I'm just saying his colourful soles were a softer and therefore grippier materials with better pimples for grip (increased surface area you see for better grip). You can also see they have been grafted on over or instead of the shite grips which have been pony for quite a few.

Fed as always is a top man even when beaten.

Federer can have no complaints (and to be fair, he didn't). He was simply outplayed by a player having the game of his life.

But my point..was it because the pitch was slower?

But my point..was it because the pitch was slower?

Great players adapt to whatever the surface is doing and Federer is one of those. He lost, because the player on the other side of the net played better than him.

Great players adapt to whatever the surface is doing and Federer is one of those. He lost, because the player on the other side of the net played better than him.

Yes of course but if the surface is slower the better players cant play in the top speed of their game making it more random who will win..

Yes of course but if the surface is slower the better players cant play in the top speed of their game making it more random who will win..

No otherwise the clay court season would produce different winners every time.

No otherwise the clay court season would produce different winners every time.

Valid point Johnny..but I think the mentality of the players differ as they enter the different tournaments and wimbledon has always been attacking surve and volley play

That changed a few years ago Fred as Paddy mentioned. Funnily enough as TV audiences were getting bored with serve and volley tennis.

That changed a few years ago Fred as Paddy mentioned. Funnily enough as TV audiences were getting bored with serve and volley tennis.

I was one of them TBH hehe

But you cant deny that the difference between top 5 players compared to others is speed (both in positioning, speed of feet, hitting the ball early) ?

Oh yes Djokovic proved that tonight. The speed at which he can think his way around the point and get his opponent where he wants them is genius to watch.

I'm glad the game has changed so the likes of Rusedski and his ilk can't get by on a big serve. Much better to watch, even if I have to listen to the abysmal BBC commentary.

Oh yes Djokovic proved that tonight. The speed at which he can think his way around the point and get his opponent where he wants them is genius to watch.

I'm glad the game has changed so the likes of Rusedski and his ilk can't get by on a big serve. Much better to watch, even if I have to listen to the abysmal BBC commentary.

I agree..I though Cilic would go further though with his serve and decent play..Djokovic is a natural..Nadal gets everything back a fighter (at least before his knees gave up), federer and his variation is just the best..

The biggest problem/reason imo, is that the players who've been knocked out haven't had preparation tournaments on grass.
Grass is such a different surface to clay.
If the players preparation is so poor, & they're not used to the differences in the surface, then there is no-one to blame but themselves.
Had they prepared, they'd have adapted their games for grass, as you have to move slightly differently on a grass surface.
They didn't, their loss.

And she breaks back. The forehand return at deuce was fantastic.

Back