• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Tennis Thread

It's a difficult one really, I think Djokovic has a point albeit skewed and I can't see why the women's slams shouldn't be 5 sets. If everybody desires parity then surely that's what it should be.

I agree with you on football DW, women's football should be called what it is, encouraged to grow, but I wish the BBC would stop trying to make it on an equal footing when it just isn't right now. Putting it on TV more isn't going to make the spectacle any better.

Women's cycling doesn't really have this problem (track and road) as it gets great coverage as it is a very good spectacle, the same with athletics applies (unless you're Russian of course).

It's a difficult one really, I think Djokovic has a point albeit skewed and I can't see why the women's slams shouldn't be 5 sets. If everybody desires parity then surely that's what it should be.

I agree with you on football DW, women's football should be called what it is, encouraged to grow, but I wish the BBC would stop trying to make it on an equal footing when it just isn't right now. Putting it on TV more isn't going to make the spectacle any better.

Women's cycling doesn't really have this problem (track and road) as it gets great coverage as it is a very good spectacle, the same with athletics applies (unless you're Russian of course).

I mostly agree, but I can't see that they're really trying for an equal footing in terms of coverage. We don't have women's versions of MOTD or Football Focus for example. They show the occasional major game/tournament and give a bit of news coverage, but not to the extent of the men's game (rightly). I don't have a problem with them trying to promote the women's game, in the same way I don't mind C4 giving air time to disabled sport, which also isn't to the same standard as the able-bodied equivalents. I don't have to watch either if I don't want to and it's not like the coverage is replacing coverage of the superior men's game.

It's also possible that the BBC show women's football as it's the only sport they can afford these days.

If they threw all the women in with the men's tour and see where they got in terms of rankings and prize money, they'd soon be clamouring for segregation again as they'd all earn bugger all.

That isn't what they are asking for though is it? They want both separate games dealt with equally.

Personally I think they are always going to struggle while they play 3 sets versus 5.

3 sets v 5 argument falls down for me as only Slams have 5 sets for men.

All Slams pay equal pay, but most Masters 1000/Premier WTA tournaments pay the men more (Indian Wells and Miami don't) but on the whole below Slam level men get paid more in prize money than women so struggling to see Novak's point here. The ATP make more in TV deals/advertising than WTA, but his point on ticket sales is wide of the mark - Novak, Fed, Nadal & Murray are decent draws, but not the mens game overall - in the same way Serena/Sharapova etc are draws for the womens game. Serena and Sharapova put more bums on seats than Nishikori/Raonic so unless Novak thinks he personally should get more money if he wins than not one of the big 4 I'm struggling to see his logic.

The women have said they would happily play 5 sets (not saying it would be a good spectacle for most matches), when the first tennis tournaments started back in the late 19th century they did play 5 sets until the US tennis authority (ran by men ) said they should play 3 and its been like since.

Anyhows the cynic in me thinks its funny that after last weeks news about Sharapova, this week it was people inside tennis who suddenly raised the whole subject of different pay for the sexes, its almost like they wanted to divert attention away from that nasty drug taking thing.

Federer missing the French Open. First Grand Slam he's missed since the 1999 US Open.

what are the odds for Nishikori to win?

My grand niece (my nieces daughter, god that makes me sound old) will be a "Ballgirl" for this tournament...
She is coming through the Australian Tennis system and doing very well, beating girls older than herself. She was head ballgirl at the Australian open and her and the head ballboy have been flown over to Paris to join their "staff" for the French Open. She was due to be on Court Three this afternoon.

My grand niece (my nieces daughter, god that makes me sound old) will be a "Ballgirl" for this tournament...
She is coming through the Australian Tennis system and doing very well, beating girls older than herself. She was head ballgirl at the Australian open and her and the head ballboy have been flown over to Paris to join their "staff" for the French Open. She was due to be on Court Three this afternoon.

Sounds great Mike, good luck to her!

Cheers, always like a gamble though...as you know

Put 95 sek on him as winner at 21.00..

6-3, 5-3 Stepanek vs Murray..what is happening..15-0 own serve

I mean the guy is 38 ffs

6-3 6-3 Stepanek..Murray in trouble

0-3 Murray third set, one break..they wont finish tonight though and i guess that will benefit Stepanek

Murray 0-5 in the third, will he turn this around? I would put my money on it

Murray seems to be making a habit of getting himself in big trouble in the early rounds of major tournaments, but turning things round. If he does it again, then he will probably go a long way in the tournament.

Back