• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

We could potentially start a match with more Brazilians than Portuguese now, fucking massive in Brazil aye we.
Brazilian yellow third kit incoming!

Wait... 🤔

It's not very Wolves but a classic Brazil away top is lovely

s-l1200.jpg

So time for an attempt at a balanced summary. Based on the squad at the end of last season we have brought 9 players in/back:
Gomes, Lima, Strand Larsen, Mosquera, Guedes, Cundle, Johnstone, Andre, Forbs (assuming his medical is OK).
Committed gross spend for this season inc. other players and youngsters circa £66m (excludes SL obligation, but includes Forbs)

5 have or will be going out:
Kilman, Neto, Bueno, Traore (injured), Sa (v likely as per LL).
Received this season inc. others not mentioned and youngsters circa £108m (Sa factored in at a guess of £10m and Bueno loan fee £1m)
Net profit pre obligation £42m
I'm ignoring kids who were only playing due to professional malpractice or who aren't real first team options now eg played 9 mins of professional football, but are included in the financials

Position split(ish) GK -. CH -, FB-, CM+1, CF +2, WF+1
Priorities at the start of the window (consensus on here). New GK, at least 1 new CH in addition to Mosquera, 1 and hopefully 2 CF's, a wide forward and a larger squad generally. This now goes into subjectivity:
GK - I think Johnstone is a marginal upgrade on Sa, some agree some don't. Time will tell.

FB Although the numbers are flat, we've added to the right and subtracted from the left. Much as Hobbs is making noises about having plenty of options there they are all imo sub optimal and not close stylistically to our first choice who in turn has been ropey defensively in the first 2 league games

CM There seems a general view that we are moving to a 433 formation so the Andre signing makes sense. I think we are missing a bit of variety, but the starting 3 with Doyle as first reserve and Bellegarde and Cundle to back up is pretty decent for where we are at as a club

CF The profile of SL and his performance on Sunday has cause for optimism. Guedes as back up is surprising to say the least. There's a big if, but IF he doesn't act the arse, wants to be here and isn't poison in the dressing room then that's better than I'd have expected. I still struggle to see him behaving if SL stays fit and come November all he's getting is 10 mins from the bench and cup games, but I guess we have to give the benefit of the doubt

WF Neto going was an inevitability, the profile of the players we've brought in is as expected. Both young, both relatively inexperienced, both reasonably priced. I hope they get a proper opportunity and don't end up behind Hwang, Sarabia and Bellegarde, as an injury to Cunha aside, there's only 1 starting place left. The Neto fee itself, before seeing the Mendes cut was decent given his injury history

CH It was widely expected we'd sign a starting calibre one during this window irrespective of the Kilman situation. To have sold him on 6th July and not done so is astounding really. We are left with 4 options all of which have obvious weaknesses and at least 3 of which couldn't play the manager's favoured style, which he's now going to have to compromise. This season and possibly our PL survival will ultimately come down to how effectively we mitigate against that obvious weakness. Dawson will need to play most games for his organisational skills in his age 35 season. I'm trying to be balanced so will avoid hyperbole, but that's an avoidable and potentially damaging situation to have put yourself in. In terms of Kilman himself, the fee we got was very good, he's not a £40m centre half, but him leaving does make us weaker in that area. I certainly don't think Toti is better and Mosquera is still work in progress.

Other thoughts on players.
Hwang has started the season as the offering nothing version of himself. I think we'll regret not taking that £20m as we will giving him the improved contract. The few hundred quid a game we make in ticket sales and club tat isn't going to cover it.
I also thought Sarabia would be off. GON has never seemed to be convinced by him and I'm surprised he'd want to hang around for a few minutes here and there.

In summary we've spent more than I expected we would although receipts are higher too. With the exception of Johnstone none have PL experience a key requirement for the manager and most are more about the future than today. We've spent time trying to do deals such as O'Shea and Ramsdale which were too rich for us, but achievable for promoted clubs and making enquires for the likes of Wissa for the sort of money we'd never pay for a player of that age profile and seem to have spent today scrabbling around for a centre half to no avail. The manager openly saying after a couple of games he's going to have to change the way we play because we haven't signed the profile of player he's looking for is pretty damning, but we actually signed a centre forward, the early signs of which are positive and got maximum value for our big sales. If I were grading it I'd say it's been a C+ window,

Last edited:
I would've said "C-" because of that arseing around post Kilman with no replacement signed and then the bs about transfer budget limit, but sign another CM anyway.

Expect Sa announcement soon? Bit weird that for now, technically have the same amount of first-team GKs as we do CBs

So time for an attempt at a balanced summary. Based on the squad at the end of last season we have brought 9 players in/back:
Gomes, Lima, Strand Larsen, Mosquera, Guedes, Cundle, Johnstone, Andre, Forbs (assuming his medical is OK).
Committed gross spend for this season inc. other players and youngsters circa £66m (excludes SL obligation, but includes Forbs)

Received this season inc. others not mentioned and youngsters circa £108m (Sa factored in at a guess of £10m and Bueno loan fee £1m)
I'm ignoring kids who were only playing due to professional malpractice or who aren't real first team options now eg played 9 mins of professional football, but are included in the financials

Priorities at the start of the window (consensus on here). New GK, at least 1 new CH in addition to Mosquera, 1 and hopefully 2 CF's, a wide forward and a larger squad generally. This now goes into subjectivity:
GK - I think Johnstone is a marginal upgrade on Sa, some agree some don't. Time will tell.

FB Although the numbers are flat, we've added to the right and subtracted from the left. Much as Hobbs is making noises about having plenty of options there they are all imo sub optimal and not close stylistically to our first choice who in turn has been ropey defensively in the first 2 league games

CM There seems a general view that we are moving to a 433 formation so the Andre signing makes sense. I think we are missing a bit of variety, but the starting 3 with Doyle as first reserve and Bellegarde and Cundle to back up is pretty decent for where we are at as a club

CF The profile of SL and his performance on Sunday has cause for optimism. Guedes as back up is surprising to say the least. There's a big if, but IF he doesn't act the arse, wants to be here and isn't poison in the dressing room then that's better than I'd have expected. I still struggle to see him behaving if SL stays fit and come November all he's getting is 10 mins from the bench and cup games, but I guess we have to give the benefit of the doubt

WF Neto going was an inevitability, the profile of the players we've brought in is as expected. Both young, both relatively inexperienced, both reasonably priced. I hope they get a proper opportunity and don't end up behind Hwang, Sarabia and Bellegarde, as an injury to Cunha aside, there's only 1 starting place left. The Neto fee itself, before seeing the Mendes cut was decent given his injury history

CH It was widely expected we'd sign a starting calibre one during this window irrespective of the Kilman situation. To have sold him on 6th July and not done so is astounding really. We are left with 4 options all of which have obvious weaknesses and at least 3 of which couldn't play the manager's favoured style, which he's now going to have to compromise. This season and possibly our PL survival will ultimately come down to how effectively we mitigate against that obvious weakness. Dawson will need to play most games for his organisational skills in his age 35 season. I'm trying to be balanced so will avoid hyperbole, but that's an avoidable and potentially damaging situation to have put yourself in. In terms of Kilman himself, the fee we got was very good, he's not a £40m centre half, but him leaving does make us weaker in that area. I certainly don't think Toti is better and Mosquera is still work in progress.

Hwang has started the season as the offering nothing version of himself. I think we'll regret not taking that £20m as we will giving him the improved contract. The few hundred quid a game we make in ticket sales and club tat isn't going to cover it.
I also thought Sarabia would be off. GON has never seemed to be convinced by him and I'm surprised he'd want to hang around for a few minutes here and there.

In summary we've spent more than I expected we would although receipts are higher too. With the exception of Johnstone none have PL experience a key requirement for the manager and most are more about the future than today. We've spent time trying to do deals such as O'Shea and Ramsdale which were too rich for us, but achievable for promoted clubs and making enquires for the likes of Wissa for the sort of money we'd never pay for a player of that age profile and seem to have spent today scrabbling around for a centre half to no avail. The manager openly saying after a couple of games he's going to have to change the way we play because we haven't signed the profile of player he's looking for is pretty damning, but we actually signed a centre forward, the early signs of which are positive and got maximum value for our big sales. If I were grading it I'd say it's been a C+ window,
Good summary but I’d go C- on the basis that whatever CH combination we go for there is an obvious weakness. Relying on a 34 year old Dawson coming back from injury is ridiculous. If Toti plays many games as a CH in a back 4 clean sheets will become a novelty. If you offered me 17th now I’d take it.

Pissed off at the negligent failure to replace Kilman. The squad is also unbalanced and we are somewhat lacking at LB.

However, having Andre in front of the CHs (who will number 2, no matter what as we simply don't have enough for other options in formation) should shore up shit and we might possibly not let the opposition waltz through the middle of the pitch, which would be nice.

Some good additions, some bewildering oversights.

D+

We will finish around 15th at worst.

The promoted sides look weak, and Everton have decided that spaffing their wage space on a broken forward who is fucking shit when fit is a sensible strategy. I think we are better than Forest, and possibly Brentford and Fulham too. Also Bournemouth. Talk of biting hands off for 17th is hyperbole.

Waaaaaaaay too much of a hangover to read that right now but I’ll just take the C+ and be glad I didn’t renew. Or take it you’re talking about computer programming.

Start of the summer it felt like we were heading towards a B....a week ago it was a massive F.

We need to stop with this turning the taps on and off at random times approach though, it helps no one.

Have a feeling if we had a plucky defeat v Chelsea rather than a twatting, we wouldn't have signed anyone yesterday except Johnstone

Last edited:
Agree the squad is unbalanced very oversubscribed in wide forward areas but critically short at LB and CH.
The squad depth is actually just full of average or inconsistent players.

Agree the squad is unbalanced very oversubscribed in wide forward areas but critically short at LB and CH.
The squad depth is actually just full of average or inconsistent players.
Just about sums it up. Having to rely on our best CH being fit for the majority of the season and sending Bueno out on loan appears to be just plain daft.

The defence looks weak and worse than last season so our foundations are built on sand.
Don’t think we’ve got the forward quality out score a lot of the teams in the league.

IMHO, its not been bad and we are probably stronger, Mixed minds on Killman, he was a good CH, obvioualy not easy to upgrade as every one on here said it was. Unless you wanted to pay more.

We have 4 centre halfs to play 2 positions, our problem V Arsenal and Chelsea, was not at Centre Half.

left back fucking off to do his own thing, 1 simple ball taking Lemina and Gomes out the gane and letting 3 attackers run at our back.4 with a huge gap on the left where our LB was sposed to be.

Everything I have listened to and read suggests to Andre would have been there to have challenged that initial pass. We will never know.

I am not to unhappy that was bollocks about our budget being €20M, shows even the best Journos get things wrong.

Lets hope that over the next 4 months we find a Centre Half, and.move quick, i dont think we are far off a top 10 finish

Fucking hell

We said he would be easy to upgrade for half his fee. IE 20 million.

And we in our wisdom decided not to explore that. Which doesn't mean the upgrade was suddenly difficult. It means we set a budget that made it impossible. This doesn't suddenly make Kilman Beckenbauer and impossible to upgrade does it?

We went down the route of not replacing Max but deciding Mosq took his place and they wanted to replace Santi in the queue (or Santi requested to move so he can play). GO wanted PL ready so that left us shopping in a very poor market with the likes of O'Shea etc.

If GO had requested a youngish South American CB, he probably would have got one that cost £20m or so....just see how quick we moved for Andre after he realised out current set up means Lemina and Gomes leave spaces so big even I could reverse park into without hitting anything.

We all wanted a Max upgrade and will judge it on that - Club had a different view and our transfer policy means we will generally release more funds for a player we believe will benefit us on the pitch and then the bank balance.

Fucking hell

We said he would be easy to upgrade for half his fee. IE 20 million.

And we in our wisdom decided not to explore that. Which doesn't mean the upgrade was suddenly difficult. It means we set a budget that made it impossible. This doesn't suddenly make Kilman Beckenbauer and impossible to upgrade does it?

We spent 20 million on other players one specifically we were not really chasing but had the opportunity so bought him., you all said you could upgrade for that, and obviously we can't because we did not.

IF O'Neil wanted someone for €20 million that was an upgrade on Killman he would have got him.

My guess is our budget was €20M, but no one was available for that price.

And as said above, €20 million does not get a better experienced premier League defender than Max.
None of the centre halfs that moved for that money, were better than Killman, O'Shea most certainly is a big downgrade.

Toti and Doherty covering left back isn’t great.
Doherty should be third choice right back…he won’t be.
Central defence is theoretically well stocked numerically…but in practice?
Our midfield looks good but a little light if there are injuries…Traore.
Forward options are numerous but flakey or untested.

It looks like a team that will score goals and concede goals. We probably have enough to stay up…probably.

Back