• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

Sorry to repeat from another thread but GON must be on the hook for the LB situation. He’s waved Bueno out knowing there won’t be a replacement. Seems crackers.
The Bueno decision is nearly as dumb as the forward situation earlier this year. However, in GON's defence, Bueno seems to have stood still. Bit like Vinagre who showed a lot of early promise and then never developed. Bueno in pre-season wasn't exactly brilliant but you have to assume that if you let him go, it is because you have a better replacement. And just like January, we haven't.

It's the same argument, constantly.

If you don't fancy Sasa because he's too slow, can't press and you don't trust his fitness, fine, let him go. But you have to replace him.

If you think that bid is too good to reject for Kilman because he isn't young any more so has limited development in him, he can't turn and he's too passive, fine, let him go. But you have to replace him.

If you think that Bueno needs to go out on loan because he lacks the very fundamentals of stopping a cross or defending the back stick, fine, let him go. But you have to replace him.

And we'll keep having the same argument until Jeff Shi doesn't run the club any more.

I think in these situations we have to be careful of not falling into the trap of knee jerk reactions putting all the blame at GON's feet for transfers. It's his prerogative to play players or say who has a future here but if he made a decision last January and the club fell through on their end, that's not really his fault.

Not blaming the manager at all there, for clarity.

I can see the owners (I would say board but we don't have one, not in any meaningful sense) asking what he wants to do with Players X, Y and Z who he isn't using (and they all cost a lot of money week to week). He then says I don't want to pick him because of the above. Fine then so if you aren't using them then we shouldn't be paying them. I have no problem with that.

There is no way that Gary O'Neil personally wanted no new forwards in January or that he doesn't want a centre half and a left back now. It isn't his maverick vision to operate on stupid margins like that.

It is Jeff Shi's though.

I think in these situations we have to be careful of not falling into the trap of knee jerk reactions putting all the blame at GON's feet for transfers. It's his prerogative to play players or say who has a future here but if he made a decision last January and the club fell through on their end, that's not really his fault.
In principle I agree, his defence play like a swinging gate though. Their lack of talent isn't on him, the way he tries to mitigate it is. We conceded the most goals in a season since our most recent promotion last year, we average 4 a game this.

It's the same argument, constantly.

If you don't fancy Sasa because he's too slow, can't press and you don't trust his fitness, fine, let him go. But you have to replace him.

If you think that bid is too good to reject for Kilman because he isn't young any more so has limited development in him, he can't turn and he's too passive, fine, let him go. But you have to replace him.

Totally, said it at the time but it was worrying when they moved Sasa and Fabio and said the "we aren't needing to replace a lot of minutes with them." Remark. Which was totally missing the point of why they hadn't been playing or being used. Almost immediately paid for that comment with lack of options.

Last edited:
I can see the owners (I would say board but we don't have one, not in any meaningful sense) asking what he wants to do with Players X, Y and Z who he isn't using (and they all cost a lot of money week to week). He then says I don't want to pick him because of the above. Fine then so if you aren't using them then we shouldn't be paying them. I have no problem with that.
Squad players are like home and contents insurance. You hope you don’t need it but shit happens and instead of fire, theft and flood you encounter injury, suspension and loss of form. Anyone who has a home worth upwards of £200m would be mad not to take out insurance because the cost of not doing so dwarfs the cost of it should you need it. It quite probably cost us a visit to Wembley last season and if they don’t learn the lesson in the next few days it may well be rewarded with a visit to the Championship.

Squad players are like home and contents insurance. You hope you don’t need it but shit happens and instead of fire, theft and flood you encounter injury, suspension and loss of form. Anyone who has a home worth upwards of £200m would be mad not to take out insurance because the cost of not doing so dwarfs the cost of it should you need it. It quite probably cost us a visit to Wembley last season and if they don’t learn the lesson in the next few days it may well be rewarded with a visit to the Championship.

The thing is he didn't trust those players to even play a few minutes. They rarely ever even came on for any meaningful action and got rotated in as starters even less.

So they weren't very effective insurance and it's OK to let them go. If you replace them with players that you do trust.

The thing is he didn't trust those players to even play a few minutes. They rarely ever even came on for any meaningful action and got rotated in as starters even less.

So they weren't very effective insurance and it's OK to let them go. If you replace them with players that you do trust.
We’re singing off the same page. They were better than nothing. The fact you find out the insurance policy you had was actually pretty shit is not an excuse for saying “sod it, I won’t bother with insurance again”. To be two games into the season and five days from the end of the transfer window is gross negligence when the squad has so many shortcomings. We need a LB, CH and a pacy forward. If money is so tight it beggars belief we slammed the door in Marseilles’ face when they enquired about Hwang at a rumoured £20m+.

We’re singing off the same page. They were better than nothing. The fact you find out the insurance policy you had was actually pretty shit is not an excuse for saying “sod it, I won’t bother with insurance again”. To be two games into the season and five days from the end of the transfer window is gross negligence when the squad has so many shortcomings. We need a LB, CH and a pacy forward. If money is so tight it beggars belief we slammed the door in Marseilles’ face when they enquired about Hwang at a rumoured £20m+.
That's all without discussing the quality of some of the other players. Eg I don't blame Sa for any of their goals really, but him belting the ball out of play or over people's heads is a further hindrance to the style the manager is trying to adopt.

Turns out most of the insurance game is a scam. Promises much but when asked to deliver, usually fails.

Hoping during the next few days I click on this link to find it’s moved on three pages, it’s the hope that kills ya.

If we only have 20m to spend I'd park Koleosho and panic buy a CB
Yep. Not that it should be our budget but if it is...

And get a LB too.

Then don't sell Podence (assuming he isn't going to be an arse, well, no more than usual) and he can do you a job in a squad role from one of the wide areas for this season and then he can go for free.

Back