• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

Doesn’t matter whether it’s Kilman or Mosquera playing, the partner(s) remain an issue. Dawson seems to be struggling with injuries and is inevitably getting slower, Toti gives most fans the heebie jeebies multiple times a game and Bueno is neither quick nor strong. If we’re going to play a back four successfully we are going to struggle without an additional player.
Feels like a them problem; Toti is quite underrated IMO. Probably never a top CB but we literally just sold one worse than him for, what, 40m?

Not sure what else folks need to see from him at this point.

Make no mistake, he is properly dross on the ball. He's a decent defender though.
Would agree, arguably our best head it and kick it defender, especially as Dawson's continues to decline.

He has some good moments on the ball though, namely the assist for Hwang v Newcastle. There have been some truly awful moments too, was it Sheff Utd away where he just drilled it against shins putting Archer through?

That's harsh. He's not a natural with the ball at his feet but neither is he an outright liability, IMO.

I'd say he's got way more in common with Christophe Berra than Joleon Lescott as a left sided centre half. He's possibly worse than Berra was on the ball IMO.

Would agree, arguably our best head it and kick it defender, especially as Dawson's continues to decline.

He has some good moments on the ball though, namely the assist for Hwang v Newcastle. There have been some truly awful moments too, was it Sheff Utd away where he just drilled it against shins putting Archer through?
Yeah, that was dreadful. Quite often gets isolated on the left on his own and panics and shanks it miles out of play.

I'm giving Daws a bit more of a pass than some as I don't think he was ever properly fit after Christmas. He's definitely better on the ball than people give him credit for as well. This is his last year here though.

I'm far from a Kilman fan, but he's a better player than Toti by quite a distance
Kilman is a much better footballer (though not the futsal genius he's painted as).

He's not a better defender, no way. I don't see Toti getting ragdolled by anyone remotely physical or constantly granting forwards a free two yards of space to do whatever they fancy. Toti also doesn't turn like a skip.

I'm fine with testing Mosquera but we haven't truly replaced Kilman and depth across all defensive positions is lacking. It's the biggest question mark going into imo.

Injuries will have happen, we'll be screwed and people will go "this team was fine but for injuries" like they did in February post that transfer window.

Kilman is a much better footballer (though not the futsal genius he's painted as).

He's not a better defender, no way. I don't see Toti getting ragdolled by anyone remotely physical or constantly granting forwards a free two yards of space to do whatever they fancy. Toti also doesn't turn like a skip.
Wouldn't argue with any of your Kilman points, I just think Toti is ridiculously overrated in general on here. Positionally he's all over the shop and for a team that seems to want to keep the ball and play out from the back your best hope with him is a 5 yard pass to a deep lying midfielder or the full back. He's a decent squad player, that's all. He'd be more suited to a Dyche team looking to defend their 18 yard box.

Feels like there only a handful of us that defend him to me...

Toti is quick so often gets away with poor positioning. I think both he and Mosquera would benefit greatly from playing alongside a more experienced CH. Selling Kilman for £40m gives us the means to bring in such a player and have a stronger defence plus money to spare but to date we haven’t. If we rely on what we’ve got we’re going to be in a relegation battle.

Is he quick enough to get away with poor positioning or does his quickness allow him to take up unconventional positions without being punished?

He ain’t slowing down for a few years yet.

Toti is quick so often gets away with poor positioning. I think both he and Mosquera would benefit greatly from playing alongside a more experienced CH. Selling Kilman for £40m gives us the means to bring in such a player and have a stronger defence plus money to spare but to date we haven’t. If we rely on what we’ve got we’re going to be in a relegation battle.
I think this is where we'll end up for most of the season

We couldn’t possibly handle another duplicate name surely

Sammy Szmodics looks to be on his way to Ipswich . Would have had no problem taking a punt on him . The fee is quite low at 9m as well . Probably wouldn't fit our play of playing though .

Back