• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan, we get it. You don’t like him.

Nuno clearly does, so let’s see what he brings to the table. He’s a different type of player to Costa etc so comparing them is irrelevant and a waste of everyone’s time.

Transfermarket didn’t show me subs (or I didn’t know where’re to look).

Traore’s record last season is still superior though, we agree on that?

Costa is absolutely $#@!ing light years ahead of Traore....... Not even worth comparing them

Based on what evidence WoA?

Transfermarket didn’t show me subs (or I didn’t know where’re to look).

Traore’s record last season is still superior though, we agree on that?

Based on what evidence WoA?

Just based on them as players. I said my bit on Traore on the last page. Costa just has so much more about him, he's top class.

I would still have Costa over Traore, but Traore would give us something different for different challenges and I’d rather have the depth (I don’t really care about the fee being a record one, his challenge at first will he get in the team).

I did take the liberty of checking Adama's PL record to date. We'll just go with appearances as a whole rather than splitting them into starts/subs, like all the cool kids:

37 games, 0 goals, 2 assists.

Adama's on fire, Azpilicueta's terrified.

He’s only played for us for two?

I’m not dissing Helder - his first season especially under Lambert, he was grade A fantastic. Didn’t get anywhere near those heights last year though.
Apologies. Errr - he was hitting those heights comfortably later in the season. Miles better than Traore. Who frankly I wouldn't bother signing, but hey ho. He might get off the bench a bit I guess and run around quite quickly.

I did take the liberty of checking Adama's PL record to date. We'll just go with appearances as a whole rather than splitting them into starts/subs, like all the cool kids:

37 games, 0 goals, 2 assists.

Adama's on fire, Azpilicueta's terrified.

He started around 15 of them games and he was playing in the the worst side in the division in 15/16 and then the second worst side in 16/17. Villa were beyond dreadful and Boro had Karanka in charge who seemed to think you could survive by not attacking. He's not going to be playing for one of those sides if he does sign and he's also had a year to mature a little and he definitely showed he's done that in the latter part of the season.

Get him one on one in a counter attack and i doubt Azpilicueta would be loving it even if he is top class. I get you don't want him but those that do or can see why we are have put forward valid arguments and its now going round in circles.

Last season West Ham were linked with Traore and my friends who are fans were really excited and I tried to bring them back down to earth by directing them to how poor his final ball is and his goals/assists in the prem. I simply can't get too excited now! But if Nuno see's something, then fair enough.

As I said in an earlier post, you can't compare Traore and Costa this season, it's not fair. Traore played more than 9 games than Helder did in terms of minutes. Traore was also the focal point of all Boro attacks, he was literally their only outlet a lot of the time. In that time he was involved in 15 goals (5 goals, 10 assists) and Costa 11 (5 goals, 6 assists). Cavaleiro played close to the same amount of minutes as Traore and was involved in 21 goals (9 goals, 12 assists) which is a lot better and he was at no point the focal point of our attacks.

Look at Costa from 16/17 where he was our only outlet in a much weaker team than the one Boro had and Costa is involved in 18 (10 goals, 8 assists).

Traore's record is pretty much the same as Pablo Hernandez's (7 goals, 8 assists) and Jozefzoon's (7 goals, 7 assists) in about the same minutes but I can't imagine many people would fancy them - it seems to me that the appeal from Traore is just his pace. He's not better than our current 3 wingers as is, so by the look of it we are signing him as fourth choice. If the intention really is just to bring him on late in the game purely because he is fast we might as well just go put in a bid for Jefferson Montero, you can get him for less than a tenth of the price of Traore.

I'm being tongue-in-cheek when I say we should sign pacey Jeff, but if we are comparing similar players who were also in a team that barely attacks and can't score...
Traore 16/17: 16 (11) - 1537 mins. 0 goals, 1 assists.
Montero 15/16: 14 (9) - 1360 mins. 0 goals, 2 assists.
Montero 14/15: 15 (15) - 1570 mins. 1 goal, 7 assists.

Rarely seen a potential signing divide opinion so much, so here's a left field suggestion. Chelsea converted a winger - Moses - to a RWB. Could Nuno have the same in mind for Traore? Or could he see Cav as RWB?

Holy shit where has all this shite about converting him to a RWB come from? Have any of you actually seen him play?

I'd rather have Traore than not have him, for me, he makes our squad stronger. It's a risk for sure, but could we get anyone better?

He's definitely no RWB

Traore is not good enough to clean Costa's boots. If he vomes here which I hope he does not as i'm firmly in Dan's court on this one. He would be behind Costa, Cav, and Jota. £18 m is a lot of money for a 4th choice at best player.

I don't really have an opinion one way or another on Traore. If Nuno wants him then that's fine with me.

Benik has finally spoken out about the move then....

Bit harsh on him but it’s football and life moves on. He’s kidding himself if he thought he was going or Be in the plans. He couldn’t nail down a place last year and we were only ever going to sign better players.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/6928437/benik-afobe-stoke-city-wolves-nuno-espirito-santo/

I don't blame him in isolation, but the phrase 'what goes round comes round' springs to mind. He did what was right for him when he'd outgrown us with questionable ethics, we did the same when we had outgrown him. I don't follow the Twitter and Facebook feeds that some on here do, so won't see the outrage first hand, but I'm sure it'll add to the noise that we are weaker because we've sold two of our best players back to the Championship, even though neither were

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back