• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Road to World Cup 2026 and UEFA Nations League

Singing anthems is a who cares moment, and I speak from the point of view of someone who considers Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau one of the greatest pieces of music on God's earth.

Who cares if national representatives sing or not? It's personal choice.

Half the team don’t sing it either, very dreary anthem to and it’s not even the English national anthem.
What is the English national anthem? Not wishing to open a can of worms here.

Personally I think Jerusalem works brilliantly in the cricket. Land of Hope and Glory is a billion times better than GSTK, but is it really an English anthem, I don't know.

Building on Trev's post I presume Telegraph Sport has now lost it's editorial independence? I'm English, never done my family tree, but as far as I'm aware there's nothing other than English in the bloodline until at least my great, great grandparents and I'd never sing it. It wouldn't make me less of a patriot or less committed.

Did Sven or Fabio sing it?

France scored after 13 seconds last night after Di Lorenzo gave the ball away. Feared the worst but Italy came back to win 3-1 with goals from Dimarco, Frattesi and Raspadori.

Regarding Carsley and the anthem, talk about turning molehills into The Alps

France scored after 13 seconds last night after Di Lorenzo gave the ball away. Feared the worst but Italy came back to win 3-1 with goals from Dimarco, Frattesi and Raspadori.
Reading that Tonali had a really good game

I couldn't believe how bad you were in the Euros, I've seen loads of Spalletti's teams over the years at club level and that was nothing like how he normally plays. Hopefully bottomed out there and have a good sort out over the next couple of years

Reading that Tonali had a really good game

I couldn't believe how bad you were in the Euros, I've seen loads of Spalletti's teams over the years at club level and that was nothing like how he normally plays. Hopefully bottomed out there and have a good sort out over the next couple of years
Tonali played really well especially considering his lack of game time. If you get chance have a look at Dimarco's equaliser, there's a beautiful flick assist from Tonali.

I like Spalletti and had advocated him for the Italy job for many years. The Euros was pretty much the worst Italy team I've seen and feared the worst last night when France scored ìn 13 seconds but after that Italy performed well. Spalletti needed that after the dire Euros

What is the English national anthem? Not wishing to open a can of worms here.

Personally I think Jerusalem works brilliantly in the cricket. Land of Hope and Glory is a billion times better than GSTK, but is it really an English anthem, I don't know.

It’s unofficially Jerusalem, personally I’d much prefer it, a much more rounded anthem that doesn’t focus on 1 person.
Really don’t see the issue with not singing the anthem, bellowing out a song just before playing a big game is the last thing I’d want to do. Doesn’t make you less passionate sometimes it’s just how you prefer to prepare pre game.

Doherty starting for Ireland, this game reeks of the equivalent of Spurs going to Burnley for example and losing 1-0 in a miserable game.

Please for shits and giggles tell me he's playing right wing as FotMob says. LB if not it would appear

image.png

Fucking terrible last night of the proms shite.

I'd rather have Sweet Caroline or even Carolina by Shaggy.
Yeah none of Jerusalem, LOHAG or Rule Britannia float my boat for similar reasons. Big Mac, sausage roll, come on England give us a goal would be my choice.

Last edited:
That's a beautiful goal. The look on the defenders face as the ball gently arcs over his head is lovely
I have watched it many times and it keeps getting better!

Also, besides the build up and Tonali's flick, the actual finish by Dimarco was excellent too

Back