• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Road to World Cup 2026 and UEFA Nations League

I think I'm correct in saying that none of the other top 5 European nations have ever had a manager who wasn't from that country. It's a terrible indictment with all the benefits we enjoy if we can't employ someone competent who is English or in Carsley's case Englishish. I don't think it's xenophobic to say that
No neither do I.

It's xenophobic when people say "it has to be an English man" though. Why does it?

Like everything, I want it to be the best person for the job! Their nationality makes no difference, surely?

No neither do I.

It's xenophobic when people say "it has to be an English man" though. Why does it?

Like everything, I want it to be the best person for the job! Their nationality makes no difference, surely?
Fwiw I think all managers should be from that country in the same way players are - acknowledging the loopholes that exist there. That ship has long since sailed though and I also appreciate that some of the none European and South American nations have developed in a way they probably wouldn't have if that policy is in place, which is definitely a down side to it

Indeed.

For the first time ever we picked a Wolves XI containing 0 English players in the last fortnight. All completely immaterial to the result on either occasion.

I want Craig Dawson to play on Saturday because he's currently a better fit for where we are and a better outright defender than the guy he should replace. But that's ability. One being born in Rochdale and the other being born in Bissau is irrelevant.

If there isn't a suitable English manager out there then you can't pick one. That genuinely is how we ended up with Steve McClaren. Remind me how that went.

Palmer, Foden and Watkins out of the squad.

Doc is in the Ireland squad, as befits their #10. The Gianfranco Zola of Dublin.

pjimage_%2848%29-1649680298388.jpg--republic_of_ireland_and_spurs__matt_doherty_ruled_out_for_rest_of_season.jpg

I think in a midfield three there's room for him tbh. Andre and Gomes as the shields and Doc as a roaming playmaker. He finds space really well and his weights his passes exceptionally; and obviously we all know he's a good finisher, with either foot and in the air. I know nobody plays 'in the hole' these days, but it's definitely an option we should use more to take advantage of his talents

Palmer, Foden and Watkins out of the squad.

With Bellingham that's 3 potential number 10's ruled out.

Will he go?

----------------------Pickford----------------------------

TAA-------------Stones-----Ghuehi----------Livramento

--------------------Rice-----Mainoo----------------------

Saka--------------------MGW------------------Gordon

-------------------------Kane-------------------------------

Livramento is a right back but has filled in on the left for Newcastle.

I think in a midfield three there's room for him tbh. Andre and Gomes as the shields and Doc as a roaming playmaker. He finds space really well and his weights his passes exceptionally; and obviously we all know he's a good finisher, with either foot and in the air. I know nobody plays 'in the hole' these days, but it's definitely an option we should use more to take advantage of his talents
Was this written by an A.I. Banter Bot?

Elsewhere UEFA have fudged it so our shitty Nations League situation (thanks Ramsdale) shouldn't affect seeding for the World Cup qualifiers.

In fairness we're ranked 4th in the world and only behind France and Spain in Europe, it would be perverse if we weren't Pot 1.

GWk_GuKWsAA6cmw

Almost like the Nations League is a complete irrelevance. You wouldn't get players pulling out for a WC qualifier with a niggle, at least not recently. Southgate was ruthless about that sort of shit.

Australia lose at home to Bahrain.

Only two go straight through and Japan/Saudi Arabia are in their group, so a very high chance now they'll have to go through an elongated campaign (another mini-group stage and a final playoff).

San Marino won the much publicised shite off
The headline of “first win in 20 years” honestly lost a lot of luster when I saw the losing nation.

Half the team don’t sing it either, very dreary anthem to and it’s not even the English national anthem.

Back