• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Road to Russia 2018

I don't think he's quite the Godly talent that some make him out to be but he's certainly a good player, he's just a horrible cunt.

I don't think he's ever going to be someone that really bosses games and dictates things but his movement off the ball cause a lot of problems, whether that be through him directly getting into threatening positions or just unsettling defences and creating space for others, either way that's his big strength in my eyes, I see him as a sort of a modern day Lampard that needs service from others but if he gets that then he'll usually deliver. I don't think I'd mind the other side of him so much if he was just a straight up dirtbag of a player, I always felt there was a certain honesty to people like Kevin Davies despite the way he played, Alli just irks me with the shit he does, it's not gamesmanship or bending the rules or anything like that, he's just being a wanker half the time.

The Lampard comparison is exactly where I see Alli, excellent movement that gets him in great positions and he'll score 15/20 a season but won't control games in the way that some midfielders would.

The Lampard comparison is exactly where I see Alli, excellent movement that gets him in great positions and he'll score 15/20 a season but won't control games in the way that some midfielders would.

The game against Chelsea last year highlighted it as good as any for me, he got the 2 goals to win it but he did very little else in that game from memory, he drew plaudits from everywhere yet he'd have done nothing without two fantastic deliveries from Eriksen to create those opportunities and in reality it was Dembele/Wanyama bossing the centre of the park whilst completely nullifying Hazard/Pedro that really won the game for Spurs.

He'll always get the headlines with goals but he needs others to allow him to shine.

He doesn't play in the middle of the park though does he, much like Lampard didn't in his peak years.

You don't "control the game" as a number 10.

A lot of players in that sort of position have a much bigger impact on things than Alli does.

Eriksen did when he used to play more centrally, Hamsik is central to everything at Napoli from that sort of position but he played a bit deeper from Slovakia yesterday, it's not a slight against his ability it's just the type of player he is, he's much more of a finisher than a creator in the way that Lampard was but people like Ozil or Kaka tend to lean the other way despite playing from a similar position.

I see him more like Thomas Muller if I am honest. Awkward ungainly player but absolutely brilliant movement and ability to create and score, despite him not really seeming like he's actually in the game.

Probably not a good measure as it was only League One but he used to absolutely run games when playing for MK from a deeper position. Having seen him when he was younger, I'm actually a bit surprised he's ended up so far forwards.

Anyway these days, I think his movement is top class. He needs the right players around him, he won't win many games on his own (which is why he is largely terrible for England), but you can't underestimate how good it is to have a player like that.

Very good first half for Ireland, the final ball is lacking though, we have been wasteful in and around the box.

Watching Spain demolish Lichtenstein... 5-0 and they've had 2 perfectly good goals disallowed for offside and an offside goal allowed by an assistant I expect to see at Molineux very soon :icon_wink:

Watching Spain demolish Lichtenstein... 5-0 and they've had 2 perfectly good goals disallowed for offside and an offside goal allowed by an assistant I expect to see at Molineux very soon :icon_wink:
Isco was absolutely unreal for then against Italy. They're building a seriously frightening team again. The depth is obscene.

Isco is starting to look like a terrific player.

Edwards brought on to shore up the game. Moldova almost score.

Probably not connected...

2-0 Wales thanks to a ridiculously cruel deflection.

Austria essentially out of the equation now in that group. Wales or Ireland for 2nd (Serbia will beat Georgia at home at the very least) and then hope you have enough points to not be the worst of those teams.

Looking at it I think Wales still need to beat Ireland in the final game (and beat Georgia before that). If they draw then they're very much in danger of being the 2nd placed team to miss out.

Back