• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Road to Russia 2018

What facts are these?

That England are shit?

giphy.gif

we can do this all day.

So before the Group Draw is made, what is everyone expecting from England next Summer?

Considering this fourm is the finger on the pulse on the world (Trump won't win, Brexit won't happen, Germany and Brazil will destroy JakeLivermoreland etc) any bets I place will be based on the replies....

So before the Group Draw is made, what is everyone expecting from England next Summer?

Considering this fourm is the finger on the pulse on the world (Trump won't win, Brexit won't happen, Germany and Brazil will destroy JakeLivermoreland etc) any bets I place will be based on the replies....

England to win it.

Cause it would be bloody typical given how shite the manager, the team and the selections have been that the one world cup when we are not over hyped, burdened with a golden generation tag or similar that we go and bore the world to death with some ultra cautious but ultimately winning perfromances.

If you dont want my rose tinted shamen based, tea leaf predicting superstitious view( and lets face it even a broken clock is right twice a day) Then go for a top euro team Germany France or Spain.

I will back England , Denmark , Portugal and Argentina.

2nd round exit for Southgate's Sloggers. With the overall ranking of 'meh' at best which I suppose is an improvement on the last 2 tournaments.

Last 16 I reckon, Q-F at the very best. It would take a really unfortunate draw for us to not get out of the group, only really Sweden or Denmark (well Eriksen specifically) I would worry against in Pot 3. If we can get Poland or Russia in our group I would fancy us to top it, meaning an easier (in theory) last 16 game. Don't win the group and we could get a very tricky last 16 game

2nd round but I think the squad is more than good enough to make the 1/4 finals, which is a shame.

When do we all start naming our proposed squads? That's the fun bit, and then acting surprised when Southgate picks livermore and Ashley Young

If Southgate rolls over onto some common sense England could be seriously competitive. Otherwise, quarterfinals.

2nd round too, with only 2 goals scored all tournament...

Fifa world ranking june 2000 England 12 Portugal 15
Fifa world randing 2004 England 8 Portugal 12
Fifa World ranking Mar 2006 England 9 Portugal 10

So its close in all three but we lost all three.But they were below us in the rankings. I get you dont trust the rankings. I just seemed to rmember the odds on us winning were shorter than the odds on them winning so we were slight favourites with the bookies IIRC.

2000 - we only just scraped past Scotland in the playoffs and had Keegan as manager. With an ancient Tony Adams at the back. And Phil Neville at left back because Keggles couldn't be bothered finding someone who could actually play there. And Paul Ince somehow still playing despite being four years past his peak. And Dennis Wise actually being used in international football at the age of 63. If you look at the two squads then we were nowhere near. Actually should have won being as we were somehow 2-0 up inside 20 minutes, but then Keggy doesn't do tactics. Don't close the game down will you mate, just let them have the ball and stay massively open. That'll go well.

2004 - Portugal had home advantage which historically tends to be massive in tournament football, we were a good team but right up against it and no way could you have us down as favourites (of course this was our own fault for not beating France when we were 1-0 up with five minutes to go)

2006 - We'd been absolutely trash in every single game before the QFs and Sven had clearly checked out mentally months beforehand so it's a real stretch to say that we were expected to win that one

As for this time around, I'll be surprised if we get out of the group, we play worse football and have a worse squad than we did in 2014. We can't score goals, we'll 100% play shite like Henderson and Cahill and if we go behind at any point against anyone I can't see how we're going to fight back.

I reckon we'll scrape through the group on GD with three shit draws. Then go out immediately.

You won't go through with three points, not when it's top two only. That only works in dreadful 24 team tournaments that reward failure and negative football.

Only one team has ever done it since the World Cup moved to 32 teams, Chile in 1998.

Ok then. A scrappy late goal to win 1-0 against whatever shite we get from Pot 4, then two draws.

That's not possible in a four team group

Sorry to be pedantic but surely it is on goals scored? Or do they go to lots? If all matches end in a draw 1-1 and one match ends 2-2 those teams would be the top 2 on goals scored with 3 points?

or 1 team beats all three and the others win one each giving
3 0 0
1 0 2
1 0 2
1 0 2

As their records. Very unlikely but possible. Then the team who with best goal difference wins?

I've tried to come up with a convoluted way that it works and failed. But I'm no mathematician.

Edit: It'd have to be goals scored by definition, wouldn't it. If one of the other teams wins a game, you obviously draw against them, then that means they have 4 points. You need some other shitbrick team to also draw every game and you'll both be on a GD of 0.

I don't have high hopes for England at all, but looking out there I don't think many of the other nations are particularly on that great a run of form, excluding Germany. I think this world cup could surprise a few countries (but not England)

Second place team has three draws for a 0 GD while third place team goes 1-1-1, losing by more than they won, and 4th place team goes 0-1-2?

Like Chile in 98 it probably requires one team to be really dominant.

Back