• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Race For The Top Four

Of course it's fanciful, but for now we're in that race for fourth, why not enjoy it while it lasts...isn't that the whole point of supporting a football team? I've not seen anyone post that they think we have a good chance of 4th, a very small one at best.
I will try . I may need encouragement

Given our game in hand and our recent form since the end of December, we are now in a race for the top 4, whether think it's fanciful or not. That might change in the next few weeks but the reality right now is irrefutable.

It's the easiest thing in the world to pooh pooh people's hopes then act all smug when it doesn't happen, as the chances are it won't. But don't be that guy. It's not as if that most people are claiming it WILL happen.

I wasn’t creating an argument . I was giving a reality check. One good month and a win against spurs whose defending was the worst against us that I can remember from any top flight team and a thread appears called the race for the top 4. I happen to think it’s a bit of fanciful thinking from a team that has failed to score in half its matches. Granted it’s possible and you’re welcome to dream. It’s a double edged sword as it vindicates Fosuns zero spend policy. Naturally I can’t support that. I don’t think you’re idiots , I just think you’re putting two and two together and coming up with 8.
We need 23 points from 15 games to have a chance of any Europe. That’s 6 wins and 5 draws or 7 wins and two draws. I just don’t see us doing that . The following is more likely for me. Neves will get a two game ban , we will pick up an injury or two, Neto won’t be back until April realistically and Sa will get himself sent off sometime for manhandling some bugger in the box. Watford Norwich and Burnley will all defend for their lives as they are trying to stay up and we will lose our last 3 games being pipped for the conference by Spurs and finishing a very creditable 8th with 56 points or so. That to me is far more based on current probabilities for a squad who probably won’t score in 7 of the last 15 games if you stick with their current form. For this one my glass is half empty.
Not looking to say I told you so as I really don’t need to. I look forward to being wonderfully surprised if it happens and have my lack of expectations met if it doesn’t. It’s a win win for me. I detest disappointment.
I understand why you're thinking like this, but why not just sit back, relax, enjoy the good games when they happen and see how things pan out? Seems more enjoyable than trying to predict and project what might happen, no?

I can totally get on board with criticism of the team, the club, the management when it is justified. I don't think I can get on board with being negative in advance of things happening when the evidence suggests we have more grounds for positivity.

And this is coming from someone who is mentally in a very bad way, whose personal life is falling apart around him... so grow a pair and look forward with hope man!

Given our game in hand and our recent form since the end of December, we are now in a race for the top 4, whether think it's fanciful or not. That might change in the next few weeks but the reality right now is irrefutable.

It's the easiest thing in the world to pooh pooh people's hopes then act all smug when it doesn't happen, as the chances are it won't. But don't be that guy. It's not as if that most people are claiming it WILL happen.
I don’t do smug

I will leave you to your dreams. I cannot bring myself to shatter the hopes of so many in spite of the absence of any logical reason to think we stand any chance of 4th place. We dont. We could , if we are very lucky , stay injury and suspension free , and somehow find a way to beat Norwich and Burnley , and not lose to at least two of the top three manage to scrape into 7th if a top 6 side wins the cup. Thats about as far as my enthusiasm goes.

You chose the thread title. It does say the race for the top 4 so it must be subliminal. If you dont think we can make the top 4 call it the race for europe. For those who call me out for the slightest inaccuracy its a bit hypocritical. Do expect a huge dose of I told you so when the bandwagon crashes in April.
You say about our chances of the top for ‘we don’t’ followed by ‘we could’. Which one is it?

Ofcourse we have a chance. We are in the clutch of 5 clubs (wolves United spurs arsenal West Ham) chasing 4th.

Are we favourites to finish top 4? No. Wouldn’t suprise me if we finish 8th but we are in with a shot. Absolutely.

If spurs, United or even arsenal get their act together they will be to strong for us, but nearly 2/3s of a way through a season and them being as erratic as my bowell movements after a vindaloo, surely gives us a chance.

On the plus side I guess it recedes Brighton's chances of making a late dash.

By all accounts United weren't very good again.

On the plus side I guess it recedes Brighton's chances of making a late dash.

By all accounts United weren't very good again.
Brighton are not very good either .

Would agree that it helps to have them losing . Better to be looking up than down .

Brighton might have only lost 5 times this season - but they have drawn 12 fixtures , and that tends to hide your inability to put whatever dominance you have on the scoreboard , and keep them out down your end . They have scored 25 and conceded 25 .

This is a good thread - good discussion on the go . I'd give us a great chance of 5th/6th . I just think that West Ham are starting to crack a bit - could be completely wrong , but they are becoming far more beatable than before .

Would agree that it helps to have them losing . Better to be looking up than down .

Brighton might have only lost 5 times this season - but they have drawn 12 fixtures , and that tends to hide your inability to put whatever dominance you have on the scoreboard , and keep them out down your end . They have scored 25 and conceded 25 .

This is a good thread - good discussion on the go . I'd give us a great chance of 5th/6th . I just think that West Ham are starting to crack a bit - could be completely wrong , but they are becoming far more beatable than before .
I think our game at West Ham could be critical - win that Zubar style and we can go on to make 5th or 6th, lose that and its 7/8th I think.

I said this earlier, West Ham have gone from being consistent and are much more up and down now since we beat them. As Tredders says, our game against them takes on a lot of significance

I said this earlier, West Ham have gone from being consistent and are much more up and down now since we beat them. As Tredders says, our game against them takes on a lot of significance
I'll be in the uncomfortable and unfamiliar position of wishing Newcastle well on Saturday. The other games for those around us are a good mix from the highly likely win to the highly likely defeat.

We're all going on a European tour! I'm buzzing that we are going to win the Champions League next season and I'm happy for anyone to join me on the hype-train!

"Luke Cundle (Cundle), running down the wing, (Cundle) hear the Wanderers sing, (Cundle) we're all off to Istanbul!"

Another thing worth pointing out .

West Ham and United have conceded 33 goals and 32 goals to date respectively . They might have scored an awful lot more than us , but their concession rate compared to the top 3 is very poor.........not to mention ourselves . That might well be the difference in the end...i.e. not their goal difference , but the fact that they both might end up drawing or losing matches that we would win .

Now, you feel free to post a huge I told you so when this happens...
That's the only reason to post any predictions on TWF. I'm already practicing my smug face for when this comes off.

Great thread. 4th? Probably not, but dreaming is for free right?
More likely 6th or 7th, or maybe just miss out. I'm just enjoying the ride that Bruno and the boys are taking us on currently.

i don't think any of us thought we'd be right up there this season! Come on me babbies!

I don’t think you’re idiots , I just think you’re putting two and two together and coming up with 8.

I think you probably do think that TBF. My other half is a maths teacher. And I can assure you that if her pupils wrote down '2 + 2 = 8', she would 100% call them an idiot. Either way, they ain't going to pass their maths GCSE.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the ride. And as Jinky says it's just nice to be in this position - credit to the management and the players.

Back