• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Official Euro 2016 Megathread

Wasn't sure where else to ask; will anyone here be interested in the Copa America? Starts tomorrow.

How do people think we'll do, out of interest?

Me - I think we can make the semis if the draw is kind to us. And that would certainly be seen as a success. But - as ever - I don't think we're good enough to win it. I'd love to see us gel as a team in a major tournament for a change, it's been far too long since we've done that.

Going back to the last World Cup, I never thought I'd be looking forward to seeing us play as much as I am, but we've really got some exciting young players. I just hope they get the nod over the usual suspects.

I think, like in 2010, if we go with those players in form in their best positions, we have a chance of winning.
I suspect we'll lose in the QF or SF.
Don't pick the best/form players, then we'll struggle.

I hope Roy has learned from Capello's mistakes.

I'm not quite excited yet (thanks for 6 months of turgid football having that effect on me KJ/Wolves!). I am looking forward to it and no doubt when it starts, I'll be an excited little bunny.

Wasn't sure where else to ask; will anyone here be interested in the Copa America? Starts tomorrow.

I will be interested but I won't be watching it as I can't be bothered to stream the games and it's on Premier Sports over here which i am not paying extra for as there isn't anything usually worth watching on there.

What time would the matches be on over here?

With Rooney in the side it looks a long hard struggle once past the group stage, without him anything good is possible even an appearance in the final. Your not going to win against quality sides with slow tempo football the kind that Rooney seems to enjoy. Its like watching a testimonial game watching Rooney trying to play as an advanced midfield player.

Shearer's Euro 96 programme was fantastic. Essential viewing. I saw it on the BBC iPlayer last night.

Even 20 years on, Gazza getting THAT close to Shearer's cross in the semi final is agonising to watch!!

With Rooney in the side it looks a long hard struggle once past the group stage, without him anything good is possible even an appearance in the final. Your not going to win against quality sides with slow tempo football the kind that Rooney seems to enjoy. Its like watching a testimonial game watching Rooney trying to play as an advanced midfield player.

Good god, you make him sound like Paul Blades.

I personally wouldn't start with Rooney (Kane and Alli are an absolute must for me) but FFS he's not that much of a hindrance.

It isn't that Rooney is bad. He isn't. Playing him negates Vardy, Kane and Delle Alli and that is disastrous for the team.

Good god, you make him sound like Paul Blades.

I personally wouldn't start with Rooney (Kane and Alli are an absolute must for me) but FFS he's not that much of a hindrance.

On the contrary I think Rooney has become a massive hindrance to good English results and the sooner he is dropped the better. I wish to see the best of Kane, Vardy and Ali, Rooney prevents that possibility.

Shearer's Euro 96 programme was fantastic. Essential viewing. I saw it on the BBC iPlayer last night.

Even 20 years on, Gazza getting THAT close to Shearer's cross in the semi final is agonising to watch!!

Yeah, we watched that last night. Still too agonising to watch that miss! It was a great watch, especially seeing how much of the lad binge drinking culture had infiltrated the squad and how it seemed perfectly OK. Shearer said in an interview at the time that Gazza was probably down the pub having a few pints - mid tournament!

The missus was watching and she hadn't realised just what an unbelievable talent Gazza was. I think at the time his "character" overshone some of that to the casual fan. He was so so talented.

How good were all the penalties in the shootout with the Germans?! Apart from Southgate's, of course.

It isn't that Rooney is bad. He isn't. Playing him negates Vardy, Kane and Delle Alli and that is disastrous for the team.

I understand that and I agree with it, but at the same time I think people are way too harsh on the player, and maybe not critical enough of others. For example, I thought Vardy was very poor last night - partly to do with the role he was asked to do of course, but he's had an easy ride compared to the slagging off Rooney constantly gets.

Yeah, we watched that last night. Still too agonising to watch that miss! It was a great watch, especially seeing how much of the lad binge drinking culture had infiltrated the squad and how it seemed perfectly OK. Shearer said in an interview at the time that Gazza was probably down the pub having a few pints.

The missus was watching and she hadn't realised just what an unbelievable talent Gazza was. I think at the time his "character" overshone some of that to the casual fan. He was so so talented.

How good were all the penalties in the shootout with the Germans?! Apart from Southgate's, fo course.

It was a ridiculous shoot out. Our 5 before sudden death were also perfect. How often are all 10 converted?! 99 times out of 100, we'd have won that shoot out. Bloody Germans.

I also want them to bring back Fantasy Football League.

I think all 10 were pretty much unsavable, apart from maybe Germany's 3rd - I think Seaman will disappoint there Clive. Gazza's and Sheringham's were just sublime.

The other countries would think we were mad if we dropped Rooney. Honestly, I think the panicking (not just on here but on Twitter) has been rather OTT. Hodgson tried something different in a friendly, some players got some much needed minutes. He won't be trying it in the tournament if it didn't work.

I can't watch that again. Still in turmoil watching it last night. Anderton hitting the post too. Aaaaaarrrggghh!!!

Oh and Alan I will be trying to catch as much of the Copa America as I can but am obviously more focused on England and the Euros.

I can't watch that again. Still in turmoil watching it last night. Anderton hitting the post too. Aaaaaarrrggghh!!!

Anderton's miss was at least as bad as Gazza's and always goes under the radar.

Oh, and Gazza is easily the most naturally talented English player I've ever seen. Probably ever will see as well.

Hard to disagree with that.

In terms of 'natural talent' (which I appreciate is a bit of a nebulous term):

Gascoigne
Scholes
Shearer
R Ferdinand
Ashley Cole

Five bona fide world class players.

Hoddle was before my time (I know England vs Ireland in Euro 88 was the first game I ever watched...can't remember much about it though other than my Dad telling me we'd 'be alright' when Houghton scored...lies) which is handy as I can just hate him for being a disgrace of a manager, pundit and human being without it being tempered by remembering him as a quality player.

Back