• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Official Euro 2016 Megathread

Latvia and Albania have qualified for tournaments more recently than Scotland. Scenes.

I think they're generally ok with their own wankness. It's the ABE crowd that I find hilarious.

Agreed.
I support all the home nations, except when they are playing each other.
At this tournament, I'll be wanting all of england, wales, the rupublic & n ireland to progress.

How do people think we'll do, out of interest?

Me - I think we can make the semis if the draw is kind to us. And that would certainly be seen as a success. But - as ever - I don't think we're good enough to win it. I'd love to see us gel as a team in a major tournament for a change, it's been far too long since we've done that.

Going back to the last World Cup, I never thought I'd be looking forward to seeing us play as much as I am, but we've really got some exciting young players. I just hope they get the nod over the usual suspects.

With the squad we've picked we don't really have any other choice but to attack, which is clearly our strength. Big concerns about our defence - Cahill has been shite for 18 months ever since Kane destroyed him at WHL, and Rose's positioning is and always has been frighteningly bad, I have the feeling Roy is going to pick them both despite all that - but we should be able to negotiate the group and the last 16 at absolute minimum regardless.

I don't think any teams are going to be comfortable dealing with Kane and if Alli can bring his Spurs form he could have a real Gazza 1990 style tournament. There aren't really many 'usual suspects' left to pick, he will inevitably pick one of Henderson or Milner (the latter, please, if we have to) and Rooney will obviously play, but besides that it's a pretty fresh team even compared to two years ago. Johnson, Baines, Jagielka and Gerrard are all gone from the first choice team in 2014, Welbeck isn't around this time, doubt Sterling and Sturridge will start...doesn't leave many.

Knocked out in the last 16 by someone shit.

I think we'll lose on pens in the semi. Kane to get the Golden Boot and Alli to get sent off in the semi when we're 1-0 up and get rounded on by the media despite having a blisteringly good tournament.

I could see us struggling against Ukraine (specifically Yarmolenko and Konoplyanka) if we get them. Just the sort of team we like to lose against even if they are poor on paper.

I reckon we'll start off like this:

---------------------Hart---------------------

Walker-------Smalling------Cahill--------Rose

---------------------Dier----------------------

----------Henderson-------Wilshere--------------

---------------------Alli----------------------------

----------Kane-------------Rooney--------------------

I think both England and Wales will progress from the group.

Thinking it will probably finish Eng-Wal-Rus-Slo. Pretty confident England v Wales will end up as a fairly dour draw, which should suit both.

If England win the group they have a decent-looking path to a potential semi-final. Wales finishing second should make the quarters and then will have a very tough game.

I hold very little hope for either of the Irish sides getting out of their groups but hope they can.

Love international tournaments and i think there will be many surprised by how good some of the sides are and that there isn't much difference between a lot of the teams. For example everyone seems to think Slovakia are going to finish bottom of our group yet they beat Spain in qualifying and finished above Ukraine.

Plenty of class in the Slovakian midfield. Hamsik has come alive for them in the last year or so and he's got the talent punish anybody.

Romania are being written off pretty quickly too. Outstanding defensive record in qualification and some real talent in the final third.

Definitely don't think there's a standout favourite like Spain were in 2012.

Germany have regressed a bit since the World Cup, going back to the likes of Gomez and Podolski is retrograde (as is retaining Schweinsteiger after two years of injury hit nothingness at club level) and they're going in without a proper RB. Reus is a massive miss for them.

Spain are absolutely packed with superb midfielders but where are the goals coming from? Can't play Fabregas up front again surely. Aduriz has been brilliant for Bilbao but you're asking a 35 year old to adapt straight away to international tournament football if you go with him. It's not even certain that De Gea will play either which is just ludicrous.

France have bags of talent especially going forward but they've underwhelmed at tournaments for quite a while now (2010 is possibly the worst performance I've ever seen from an international team, pound for pound) and the pressure's going to be on them. Defence doesn't look the greatest either.

Belgium weren't very impressive in the qualifiers relative to the talent they have, all manner of issues at the back with Kompany/Lombaerts out, Wilmots doesn't seem to be a very good manager or have any clear idea of how he wants to make best use of all those attacking players.

It's a way from the strongest Italy squad you'll see and Portugal could play a host of exciting youngsters but probably won't and will stick to picking the same old lags who turn in the same old performances.

I like the looks of Poland. I think they could do well. Iceland too possibly after their impressive qualifying campaign. Though they've had poor results since then.

I reckon we'll start off like this:

---------------------Hart---------------------

Walker-------Smalling------Cahill--------Rose

---------------------Dier----------------------

----------Henderson-------Wilshere--------------

---------------------Alli----------------------------

----------Kane-------------Rooney--------------------

I think that too. Woy loves Henderson and Rose for some odd reason.

Having retired really don't have to worry about booking time off work

Where I watch is another matter - only place in town that I know will be showing it is the Red Lion - decent enough pub, but has some very odd clientele which detracts from the atmosphere.

Will probably do so at home so any crap games can be ignored & I can go off & do something else

Rooney will play behind the striker and Alli will be pushed out wide. Wrong, but that's what Hodgson will do.

I've booked off the afternoons of 16th and 17th for England and Italy's 2pm kick offs

Back