• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The NFL Thread

Colts are now 0 - 3. Last night though was just cruel. Pretty sure everyone was convinced we would lose anyway given how poor we've been in the first 2 games. Even most Colts fans on the forum were talking bout huge margin defeat. To play so well defensively and push them all the way to the last 5 seconds before they inevitably got their field goal (although seeing as he missed earlier there was small hope he'd miss again) was just devastating. Very proud of the performance we gave. Freeney, Mathis and Nevis were outstanding (and was very amusing to see Scott get spun around so often and Roethlisberger looking behind everytime he held the ball longer than 2 seconds) but Polamalu showed why he's rated so highly (I believe he's defensive player of the year?). His timing, judgement and defensive plays were fantastic and great to watch despite being on the other team. Collins concussion looked a little strange though. Not entirely sure that hit was enough to cause that?. Gave Painter his chance though and If he made that first pass to Garcon the place would have exploded. Under threw a couple and sack fumbled for their TD but then settled down and started to play well. Not a terrible performance from a guy that has to be low on confidence as he was pretty much cast aside for Collins and then took no little part in practice all week leading up to the game.

Congrats to the Bills though. What a result for them. Been a few of those somewhat unexpected results already this year and it's only week 3. Exciting stuff.

Just saw on skysports news how a cowboys player came back from a 'torn lung' after 7 days!! what the hell is a torn lung???

It was a "punctured lung", and that was Tony Romo, their QB. It's been estimated by numerous newscasters that they've exaggerated in Dallas. He actually played with during the first game he got it too, it wasn't a 7 days later thing, though he also played with the same ailment a week after getting it. Also has two broken ribs.

Still good enough to beat the redskins. Cock it.

Hardly the best yardstick to judge a peformance by! It's like saying they beat the 2009 Bills...

On another note, this is what it it feel like to beat a team that have humiliated you for 8 years and 15 consecutive games; 75,000 Buffalo Bills fans in an outpouring of joy...

Last edited:
Still good enough to beat the redskins. Cock it.

The Redskins beat the Redskins, Romo did jack squat. The Cowboys are a bunch of overexposed, under-performing drama queens that I could give two shits about. More money and "look at me!" than teamwork or sense.

Bah!

Last edited:
The Redskins beat the Redskins, Romo did jack squat. The Cowboys are a bunch of overexposed, under-performing drama queens that I could give two shits about. More money and "look at me!" than teamwork or sense.

Bah!

I have to agree with this. I loathe the Cowboys. They are one of my 3 hated NFL teams along with the Patriots and the Jets. I'm not a big fan of the Titans either (The Music City Forward Pass Miracle is behind that one. If you don't know about the Music City Miracle youtube it and then tell me that the refs didn't get it wrong...What a way to lose the last play-off game you played in)...

Not too many games this coming weekend that look all that exciting. The 3 televised games look to be the best, 2 on Sky and one on Channel 4. They are:

Lions at Cowboys (Sky 5.30pm)
Patriots at Raiders (Sky 9pm)
Jets at Ravens (C4 1am)

I would LOVE the Raiders and Ravens to win and if my Bills win at the Bengals they will have a 2 game lead in the AFC East...

Looking forward to the Jets/Ravens game, myself. Won't watch any others (except the Panthers/Bears, of course).

The Bills should beat Cinci for a 4-0 start, but that's a pretty good trap game...

Looking forward to the Jets/Ravens game, myself. Won't watch any others (except the Panthers/Bears, of course).

The Bills should beat Cinci for a 4-0 start, but that's a pretty good trap game...

You called it t3ch, though I don't think the Bills are yet good enough to consider any game a 'trap' game! However, I will say the officiating was terrible in this game. The Bills had a sack fumble for a TD called back on the 'tuck rule' (if there's a more pathetic rule in sport I'm not sure what it is) that was no different to the one the Ravens had on Sanchez in their game against the Jets. But the worst call I have ever seen happened midway through the 4th quarter: the Bills were leading 20-13 and had a 3rd and 2 or 3 inside the Bengals half, they completed the pass for a 1st down around the 38 yard line but the officials called it incomplete, and despite clear replay evidence showing that it was a definite catch, not even questionable, they uphold the call to make it a 4th down. Bills punt, Bengals go up the field and score, 20-20. Without that bullshit call the Bills were likely to get at least a FG and make it a 23-13 game with 5 minutes or so to go. One of the worst officiating displays I have ever seen.

Games on TV this week:

Eagles at Bills (hooray!): Sky 5.30pm
Jets at Patriots: Sky 9.15pm
Packers at Falcons: C4 1.00am

That's 3 pretty good looking games there.

On another note condolences to Raider Nation at the loss of their owner Al Davis who passed away yesterday. One of the original NFL owners and one of the group of men who created the NFL as we know it today, he may have become slighlty crazy in old age but he will be missed in the NFL. RIP Al, "Just Win Baby"...

Well, last week's Eagles/Bills game was a barnburner and lived up to all expectations. It came down to one play late in the 4th quarter, not the sort of play you'd think was crucial, but it turned out to be one of my favourite (non) plays of the year so far:

This week's TV games:

Panthers at Falcons, Sky 5.30pm
Saints at Buccaneers, Sky 9.15pm
Vikings at Bears, C4, 1.05am

I'll be tuning in on NFL Gamepass to the Bills at the Giants, hoping for 5-1!

Last edited:
I hadn't seen that play from last week and wow. Tampa tried something similar against us couple weeks ago but we didn't bite, amazingly given the way our defence has been recently. Just watching it though you can feel the tension and importance. Bet he was replaying that over and over in his head all week.

Colts are now 0-6 after losing 17-27 against the Bengals. Our defence has been quite poor and I feel for Painter as he's been doing a pretty good job but just too many fumbles and dropped catches of late. Clarke dropped 4 last week, fumbled another today (they got a TD off the resulting drive) but sort of made up for it with a lovely 1 handed catch in the end zone. We got it back to 17-20 late in the 4th. They missed their field goal attempt. Painter to Garcon, catches it then for some crazy reason holds it out in the open as he gets pulled down, fumbles it and they score a TD. Completing my miserable weekend of sport watching all 3 of my teams lose.

Bills lose 27-24 to the Giants. All bar one Bills game has been decided by a touchdown or less and going into the final 2 minutes still had both teams in contention. I'm beginning to think I need blood pressure medication! And it's contributing to my apathy towards Wolves too- while Wolves seem totally incapable of serving up anything approaching excitement, the Bills deliver it in spades every week, even when they lose! It's fun to watch, and the complete opposite of watching Wolves...

Bills really are a revelation this year. Happy to see them do well. How has Dareus been doing?

Panthers are 1-5 and have lost by:
21-28
23-30
29-34
27-30

UGH.

Bills really are a revelation this year. Happy to see them do well. How has Dareus been doing?

Panthers are 1-5 and have lost by:
21-28
23-30
29-34
27-30

UGH.

Well Cam Newton has proven me completely wrong. I thought with his one read and run approach to the QB position in college he'd find it hard to adjust to life in the NFL. Boy, has he been good! They've tailored that offense to suit his strengths superbly. It won't see many wins this year, but he and the Panthers have a bright future ahead of them.

As for big Marcell, he hasn't been flashy, but he has been pretty solid. He's made a couple of really good plays in every game. Once he finds his consistency and we add some more talent to that D, he's going to be a monster.

Cam's been great about going through progressions and running as a last option. He almost always gets a really solid chunk of yards when running too, dude is ridiculously elusive. Cut down on the stupid interceptions and he's gonna tear it up even more.

Eh if Dareus is filling holes and putting pressure I'd be happy with him. I'm sure he'll take some adjustment, players don't come in and get 15 sacks in their first season. I bet he's not talkin smack about the Panthers drafting Newton over him anymore though!

The London game was a pretty good one. It will be interesting to see how the proposal for 2 games in the UK next year works out. Will there be enough interest to sell out 2 games? I think so.

No game for the Bills this week, hopefully they'll be back healthy to open up a can of whoop ass on the Redskins next Sunday...

Was a decent game. Almost a great comeback by TB. Will definitely be trying to get down to the London game next year, especially if the Colts come over. 76k I believe was there which is pretty good given tickets only went up in September so I reckon with back to normal planning time next year etc there will be enough interest for decent attendances for 2 games. Looked a brilliant day though with the tailgate party and everything.

As for the Colts.....wow. Yesterday was beyond "suck for Luck".

Also Toon, do you know anywhere decent to get a Jersey from?. I got one from great american sports a few months ago and I hadn't worn it an hour before the numbers were practically falling off the shirt. Got a refund and everything as it was apparently to do with a new company they were using for the numbers. Bit dubious now of what site I do order from. Besides the official NFL shop is there any decent sites you know of?.

Back