• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The NFL Thread

Just did a mad calculation which is certainly open to correction..
Now I know I'm only looking at a couple of players here, and I know, I know they do an awful lot of other stuff during the week whilst representing the club, but you know in our football out of a 'ninety minute' game there's only about 65-70 minutes of actual football, (in the crowd, dead ball etc etc) but I saw a stat that in a NFL game on average, whilst the game is played over 4 x 15 minutes quarters, there's only about 11 minutes of actual football in a 60 minute game.
So if Aaron Rodgers or whoever there are (I think 2 or 3 others in spitting distance of that $50 million salary), is on 50 mill, and he plays an actual 11 minute game (gets calculator out...)
20 games x 11 minutes = 220 mins / 3.666 hrs. per season.
$50 mill / 3.666 hrs = $13.64million per hour... or $227,000 per minute.
Not bad really, but yes that's only getting to the Superbowl, but even so.
While that is true to an extent, you are not really being fair. You need to add the thirty seconds you have to get a play off to every play where the clock is still running. This isn't a game like our football so ball in play times are comparing apples and oranges.

The way to push that number up is to give teams infinite time outs which would a) make every game last eight hours to play, and b) utterly ruin the dynamic as time pressure is what decides games.

One thing to consider is how dangerous the game already is, even with such limited live-ball action.

QB's have to do a tremendous amount of pre game prep too I'd imagine, it's definitely not all about game day.

Typical week
Monday Rehab and watch film of previous game (full day)
Tuesday Day Off
Wednesday Practice and interviews AM, PM preparing for opposition until early evening
Thursday and Fri as Wed
Sat walk though, travel if away
Sunday game.

They spend way more time 'at work' than footballers, although the off season is longer

Last edited:
they cannot stop the run even against a poor running side. There's a few more losses to come as 7 of the last 8 games are against sides with elite running backs.
Ndamukong Suh and Linval Joseph signed in the last 24 hrs, hopefully 1 can still play

Both effectively 3 month deals, so no long term commitment, but yes the DLine is to put it politely... experienced.

Well any thought of the packers making the playoffs must now be dead. Might as well tank for some picks.

NFC playoff race is beginning to look tasty, especially with my lot having a doubleheader against the G-Men and a game with our dear friends from Dallas left in the schedule. Couple of 49ers losses wouldn’t go amiss either.

It's the wussification of America innit

Not sure what's going to happen if, as is being suggested, they are unable to fly to Detroit as planes are grounded or the Bills players and staff can't get out to the airport? Game can't be put back a day or 2 because the Bills play next Thursday on Thanksgiving.

Not sure what's going to happen if, as is being suggested, they are unable to fly to Detroit as planes are grounded or the Bills players and staff can't get out to the airport? Game can't be put back a day or 2 because the Bills play next Thursday on Thanksgiving.
Both games are in Detroit play them back to back MLB style. It's only the Brown's and Lions 😃

The Bills have got on the plane and 56k tickets have already been sold for the game

Surprised at the official decision being so they 'don't have to divert resources away from helping people get on with their ordinary lives'.
I'd have thought something around not safe for fans to access the stadium or fans safety on the terraces or whatever you call them.
I mean the cops wouldn't be clearing the terraces would they, in fact look at it! How the fuck DO you clear 4 feet of snow from that size of stand.
The playing surface isn't an issue. I'd be amazed if there isn't a covering on the pitch under that snow. Like Wimbledon kinda thing...

The Bills have got on the plane and 56k tickets have already been sold for the game
Fans really like to travel for their games don't they?
I'd be interested in seeing the various volumes traffic that makes up 56,000 fans on the move... 4 or 5 in a car, 230+ on a plane etc etc...

I'd be interested in seeing the various volumes traffic that makes up 56,000 fans on the move... 4 or 5 in a car, 230+ on a plane etc etc...
By US standards it's not that far, just the other end of Lake Erie about a 4 hour drive without factoring in the weather. Buffalo fans are hard-core so one of the ones who will do it.

Do you stand on motorway bridges and count cars too?

Back