• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

I'd go and see Robbie. But not all 5 of them (or 4 or however many there are these days).

I am also roughly 95% straight - we all have a bit of gay in us (offers tap in....)

One of my favourite covers, my guess is there wont be a single other person on this forum that will like it.

Brilliant shout on the Massive Attack one, they were some brilliant early albums.

I'd have to disagree on the Muse one, not that it's a bad version just that the original is so damned good, I think Nina Samone is amazing

I don't disagree with that, but I wouldn't put down a good cover version because the original is better, that would be the case for most covers really. I think to be a good cover version it should clearly be an artists own take on the original, making it similar enough to be recognisable but different enough to not just be a copy. In that respect I think Muse succeed on 'Feeling Good'. I'm not a huge fan of cover versions that sound like a band are trying to imitate the original, nor am I a fan of cover versions that are so weirdly different that they are unrecognisable.

Another great cover version (IMO, and I know many will disagree) is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-0MXklxHlQ

I like Take That. They seem nice blokes too. I'm not going to make them out to be musical geniuseseseses, but it's good pop music. Sometimes that's all you want.

I quite like the MM cover of Tainted love, he was a complete ass-hat when i saw him live though.

One of my favourite covers, my guess is there wont be a single other person on this forum that will like it.

I like it. I like the original too though... that entire album is awesome.

In an amazingly brilliant mood, but feeling for my Villa brethren (roflcopter). Here is an amazing song for them to listen to and sing along to. Whilst injecting.

It's one of the greatest covers ever made.

Everyone talks about how great Cash's Hurt is, but I never thought it was good as NiN's.

Really getting in to Fenech Soler - checked out tickets for their tour and found out their lead singer has been diagnosed with Testicular Cancer - so get well Ben. I hope to see you on the road soon.

I know this wont mean a lot to you 'kids' but i have The Rolling Stones 'Angie' as one of my favorites on Youtube, and one of the comments underneath is someone trying to explain how Justin Beiber is better, it goes thus:

1. Ok, Old Aging Stones = OK, Sir Justin Bieber = Epic!! Fact.

2. More Youtube views....Sir Justin Bieber by a country mile, and then some more.

3. Yes, he has more dislikes, but the "haters" have to visit to "thumbs down" which donates more money to him.

4. Sir Justin Bieber is MORE LIKELY to succeed in the rock, than The Stones to succeed in the pop world, as The Stones would never move from rock, Sir Justin is more open minded.

5. These guys are past it, Sir Justin isn't - FACT!

I fear for the youth of today :facepalm:

I look forward to Biebers entry into the rock genre. If he's as factually epic as made out by being better than the stones, my ears will be in for a treat.

Fortunately for us we didn't have the internet as children and didn't have all of our insanely ignorant and moronic comments permanently recorded online.

I look forward to Biebers entry into the rock genre. If he's as factually epic as made out by being better than the stones, my ears will be in for a treat.
I was unfortunate to be passing the MEN Arena today in Manchester and there were 100s of kids standing around a tour bus. Just looked up on the net and see that it must have been Justin Bieber.

WTF is this thread doing off page 1!

Langdale, we all know where you were last night. Where's the verdict?

For my money, elbow were a class act. It is joyous to see a band enjoying themselves at a gig. That's the 2nd time in a month this has happened to me (mogwai being the other).

A nice, relaxed atmosphere. Some really good use of a relatively simplistic light show made it all the more effective. Excellent interaction with the crowd. Very good sound levels and the like. The gig absolutely flew by!

In addition, langdale, I know you've had a few debates with posters regarding guy garvey as a frontman. After last night, guy garvey is definitely a frontman, and an excellent one at that. My reasoning is thus: a frontman connects with the audience, the audience can relate to him/her, has a persona, builds a bridge between the band onstage and the crowd. Guy garvey is a frontman. And yet, elbow remain a band, there is a togetherness there, and a common purpose. Rather than have the "burst onto the scene" success, they have built up themselves, developed their songwriting, played a lot of live gigs and have clearly learned a lot from that, as can be seen in both their writing and performing.

Lippy kids and learning to fly were, imo particular highlights.

Be interested to know what people thought of the support act, villagers. They clearly went down well, & I can see how getting the support on the elbow tour will do them a lot of good.

Been hammering Build A Rocket Boys! in the car recently - what a gorgeous record. Lippy Kids and Open Arms are beautiful songs.

It was fucking immense last night - wonderful gig, and it's made me appreciate the new album so much more.

My highlights were Some Riot and Weather to Fly, not forgetting the sublime Lippy Kids.

I'll post more later as I'm using my phone during my lunchbreak, but I loved every minute of it. It flew by as well!

And how good was Guy Garvey?! Top performance - very charismatic.

Last edited:
Completley off the mark I know but its back on the cover versions theme the Doors covered Gloria (Van Morrison) it was on an amazing live album, hopefully this is the correct version as I'm posting at work and have no speakers the check the link

This should be better

Last edited:
Back