• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Superb gig last night. The HMV Institute is a fine little venue. I was up in the top balcony, right at the front but as the venue is small, not very far from the stage. A great view to witness Mr Folds at work.

The support act, Kate Miller-Heidke (with her hubby along side her) was top notch. She left the stage to brilliant ovation and a load of new fans. Her voice is amazing and some of her lyrics very good.
A mix of funny and well written songs and a bizare cover of the Real Slim Shady and this facebook inspired tune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeTPNjPiyJM

As for Ben Folds........a master at work and he fired out song after song, including a made up on the spot song after some weirdo requested he showed off his belly button!!.

Watching from above I am even more impressed at his piano playing. nearly 2 and a half hours of Mr Folds, great music, great support, great venue. Loved it

Last edited by a moderator:
Just heard new Foos effort on Kerrang. Heavy as f@#k! \m/ RAWK!

Mogwai, last night, bham institute.

Nimrod - you still alive?

The new Mogwai album still hasn't arrived, for which I am truly sad. However it has apparently been sent today! (hmvdotcom, wankstain of a company!)

Anyhow, the gig last night was superb. & has really made me want the new album ever such a lot. Mogwai were properly on form. Played a lot of heavier material. The band really seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Twilight Sad supported. Found them a little strange. Singer has a massive voice. They started not so good, then the middle couple of songs were good, then back downhill.

Be interested to see nimrod's feedback.

Is this the Mogwai famous for instrumentals in their early career and for turing their back on the audience??!?!

Not sure I recall the turning their backs thing. Pretty much all their stuff is instrumental. Probably more famous for their "Blur: Are Shite" t-shirts.

Awesome band. Mogwai Young Team is a superb album (see hi fidelity thread), & CODY is another great set o tunes.

You going to see the Manics at the civic this year?

How were the gwai as a support act. Seems they didn't exactly make an impression!

You going to see the Manics at the civic this year?

How were the gwai as a support act. Seems they didn't exactly make an impression!

Not sure - havent got any more gigs booked yet, was meant to see the Cold War Kids this week but had to come up north. I'd like to - used to adore them!

Mogwai were ok, I was only 17 and there for the Manics so didn't take much notice!

Mogwai, last night, bham institute.

Nimrod - you still alive?

The new Mogwai album still hasn't arrived, for which I am truly sad. However it has apparently been sent today! (hmvdotcom, wankstain of a company!)

Anyhow, the gig last night was superb. & has really made me want the new album ever such a lot. Mogwai were properly on form. Played a lot of heavier material. The band really seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Twilight Sad supported. Found them a little strange. Singer has a massive voice. They started not so good, then the middle couple of songs were good, then back downhill.

Be interested to see nimrod's feedback.

still alive but suffering after overindulging last nite on the guinness.

I went upstairs - got there in time for the Sad. I thought they were good but could have done with a longer set. Not sure they were getting that much back from the audience especially earlier on - I guess support bands have to get used to that. Previous time i saw them was in a much smaller venue so you get that intimacy. They seem to have changed the bass player which I didn't know about - musical differences I was told.

Mogwai were great. Excellent throughout. I think I only have 3 albums by them incl cody and young team so didn't know what they were likely to play but enjoyed it all. Post rock as it should be.

You weren't that geezer at the front punching the air constantly were you?

Album of the week - Bellowhead - Hedonism.

I haven't had any new albums for ages, currently waiting on new stuff to be released by Foo Fighters, Four Year Strong, Motion City Soundtrack, Rise Against and The Strokes.

Been listening to some soundtracks recently. How fucking good is the soundtrack to Kill Bill?

Awesome.

met an up and coming Irish band last night called The Shoos. Pretty good, they were on a high after supporting Maroon 5 in Dublin. Check em out

still alive but suffering after overindulging last nite on the guinness.

I went upstairs - got there in time for the Sad. I thought they were good but could have done with a longer set. Not sure they were getting that much back from the audience especially earlier on - I guess support bands have to get used to that. Previous time i saw them was in a much smaller venue so you get that intimacy. They seem to have changed the bass player which I didn't know about - musical differences I was told.

Mogwai were great. Excellent throughout. I think I only have 3 albums by them incl cody and young team so didn't know what they were likely to play but enjoyed it all. Post rock as it should be.

You weren't that geezer at the front punching the air constantly were you?

T'wasn't me fella. I was at the back loving it next to a guy who screamed "YEEEAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!" after every song.

Young Team & Cody are in my opinion the best post rock stuff they've done. I really like Happy Songs for Happy People, for a mellow version of Mogwai. Having seen the gig, I'm real keen to hear the new album, & intend to re-visit Mr Beast & also Hawk is Howling, which I probably don't give sufficient credit for...

Back