• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

New Elbow album out in March!

:disco:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/25666474

In an interview with Q, Guy Harvey said: "It always happens like this. The title's now from a song on there; this huge, cacophonous thing born of our love for space rock, prog, Primal Scream and Spiritualized."

Interesting.

regarding the elbow debate, TSSK is a truly great album. Build a rocket has only been listened to once or twice. Live, I was very impressed.

If they're delving into a space rock/spiritualized environment, could be quite interesting, & perhaps a bit of a departure from their "normal" sound.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/25666474

Interesting.

regarding the elbow debate, TSSK is a truly great album. Build a rocket has only been listened to once or twice. Live, I was very impressed.

If they're delving into a space rock/spiritualized environment, could be quite interesting, & perhaps a bit of a departure from their "normal" sound.

Just heard their new track - it's still very much their 'normal' sound but I still loved it nonetheless.

a bit slow on the cd front this year due to a sudden influx of work but the 2013 selection looking like this. I've had to reject quite a few i like as tracks generally seem to be getting longer! the droney tracks have taken a back seat, wooden shjips, dead meadow etc. can't guarantee the foxygen track won't change for a shorter one either as i'm bang on the limit. the one below is a rip off of suspicious minds though so is a good one. if anyone interested let me know, though it may have to go into the new year to send. most of the tracks have been posted on here so check em out.

Fall out of love - Toy
Heart - Darkside
Pittura Infamante - Girls names
Line Of Fire - Junip
Strife - Savages
Dream Captain - Deerhunter
Lizard Kids - No joy
Gun Crazy - Drenge
Sleigh Ride - Fuzz
Go Blow A Gale - Charlie Boyer and the voyeurs
Swim And Sleep (Like A Shark) - unknown mortal orchestra
People of the Sticks - the Besnard lakes
Never Run Away - kurt vile
Electric - the men
Toe Cutter - Thumb Buster - Thee oh sees
Fragment Two - These new puritans
Sunray Venus - Throwing muses
Preservation - hookworms
Here We Go - Christopher Owens
On Blue Mountain - foxygen

So, have given this an initial listen or 2.
Initial comments:

First track sounded so much like eye of the tiger to start with - I thought nimrod was playing a naughty little game!
The collection as a whole has a much funkier, upbeat, garage-y/psyche-rock feel to it in contrast to last year. I actually (on first hearing) prefer this years selection. It almost sounds upbeat in comparison!

There are some really good riffs in the opening part of the cd.

Really liked the funk edge to track 1. Indeed tracks 1-4 are all good tunes. Track 4 reminded me a lot of the Beta Band (I loved the Beta Band).

I also really got into the series of tracks 9-13 (perhaps 14 & 15 too). There's a very 60's feel to this part of the cd. Sounds like an addition to the Easy Rider soundtrack.

There's a good flow to the cd too.

I'll give it a few more listens definitely. The Junip track is definitely my favourite on initial listening.

Nimrod sent me his 2012 mix too, which I haven't taken out of the cd player in the car yet! A real grower.

I posted a review of that last year. Not sure how to find it (too lazy to trawl through 3000 posts...) but I do remember loving the Japananandroids track on there!

So, have given this an initial listen or 2.
Initial comments:

First track sounded so much like eye of the tiger to start with - I thought nimrod was playing a naughty little game!
The collection as a whole has a much funkier, upbeat, garage-y/psyche-rock feel to it in contrast to last year. I actually (on first hearing) prefer this years selection. It almost sounds upbeat in comparison!

There are some really good riffs in the opening part of the cd.

Really liked the funk edge to track 1. Indeed tracks 1-4 are all good tunes. Track 4 reminded me a lot of the Beta Band (I loved the Beta Band).

I also really got into the series of tracks 9-13 (perhaps 14 & 15 too). There's a very 60's feel to this part of the cd. Sounds like an addition to the Easy Rider soundtrack.

There's a good flow to the cd too.

I'll give it a few more listens definitely. The Junip track is definitely my favourite on initial listening.

those first 5 tracks are probably my 5 tracks of the year. god that darkside album is good and that track gives me shivers every time i hear it. by the way, I noticed Toy are playing the Rainbow in Digbeth 21st Feb. last time i saw them they had charlie boyer as the support so was a very good night.

You should check out the video to the Junip track as well as the follow up single and video that finishes the story. i agree, it's a great track.

glad you like the cd as it's grown on me too. shame i couldn't get some other stuff on there as well.

Nimrod sent me his 2012 mix too, which I haven't taken out of the cd player in the car yet! A real grower.

cool. which ones are grabbing you most. i had 1. lower dens 2. disappears 3. exit music as my top 3 last year but it's always a tough choice.

Embrace are back

I thought Embrace were superb when they first came out. Their first few EP's were brilliant, as was the debut album. 2nd album had some cracking tunes on it too. I saw them when they sold out the Wulfrun before they'd even released an album and thought they were destined to be massive but somewhere along the way they lost themselves in middle of the road blandness.

Last edited:
Another snooze-fest.....

those first 5 tracks are probably my 5 tracks of the year. god that darkside album is good and that track gives me shivers every time i hear it. by the way, I noticed Toy are playing the Rainbow in Digbeth 21st Feb. last time i saw them they had charlie boyer as the support so was a very good night.

You should check out the video to the Junip track as well as the follow up single and video that finishes the story. i agree, it's a great track.

glad you like the cd as it's grown on me too. shame i couldn't get some other stuff on there as well.

Glad you were kind enough to send it to me mate. I've really enjoyed rocking out especially to Fuzz & The Charlie Boyer tracks (those 2 really set up a good 20+ mins of nice tunes) part way through.

I'll definitely check out a bit more Junip. It's a track that really caught me when I started listening, & I know later today when I put it on I'll be looking forward to it.

I'd have loved a different Daniel Avery track on there, but I'll have to rely on you tube to find a couple of different tracks as I contemplate getting the album.

Alice Cooper brutally live is on BBC 4, it is a pretty decent show.

cool. which ones are grabbing you most. i had 1. lower dens 2. disappears 3. exit music as my top 3 last year but it's always a tough choice.

Exit music :)

In other news, I've had an email & a text confirming dispatch of my Mogwai box set! giggity!!!!

Check out the guardian review:
http://www.theguardian.com/music/video/2014/jan/17/mogwai-rave-tapes-video-review
& there's a limited time stream here:
http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2014/jan/14/mogwai-rave-tapes-album-stream

Back